Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
kbv3g

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Do Yumiko leotards run true to size? Small or big? trying to decide and sizing chart is pretty vague.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Pretty much true to size. 
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Yes pretty true to size. If you are unsure you can email the NYC boutique your measurements and they will give you guidance.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Well I wouldn't always say true to size. My daughter wears a medium in leos and has a few styles that she wears large in Yumikos. My DD is a YumiGirl and has someone who always goes a size bigger in anything with a zipper. My own DD goes bigger in the Charlotte and the Megan.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Yes, I agree with @dancermom128. My daughter typically wears an xs, but in certain styles has to go up to a small. It really helps to try them on. If you cannot do that (or maybe a friend has some to try on for size?) call the flagship store in NYC. They are very helpful. My daughter needed a whit leo for a SI and we called them and they pulled a bunch of whites in her size and held them up so my daughter could see them to choose.
mom2tall

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I agree with others who say it's best to try them first.  If your dancer is short-waisted then her normal size should work but if she is longer-waisted, she may need to go up a size depending on the style. 

DD who is taller, slim-hipped and thus a bit longer in the waist has noticed that their styles seem to work best on shorter dancers. Just her observation and having just been in NYC at Yumiko watching her try them on again, we've come to the conclusion that there is only 1 style there that is truly flattering for her.  So I recommend trying on before ordering.
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I definitely recommend trying them on.  DD wears Small and Mediums in most leos but wears Medium and Larges in Yumikos.  When we were at the store we were discussing sizing with the girl that works there and she was saying a lot of it is preference.  She said she is bigger than her friend but her friend wears the large and she wears the medium... just because of how they prefer them to fit.  I also recommend trying them to test the lining.  Most of the off the rack leos are lined with the same color as the leo, but my DD has discovered that that's not always the best option... sometimes it's still very much see through.  So, when we custom order we get the nude (although I don't think it's nude, I think it's called something else) lining.  When it's off the rack she always goes into the store to try them on not only for sizing, but to be sure they're not see through.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
The nude color you want is called Brule. We actually get a full front liner now in Brule for almost any color other than something really dark like navy or black. When you buy light colored leos at the store they are lined in a much lighter color which I think is too light. As far as sizing goes, there is height and weight chart online but like I said different leos for differently. I would either try them on in person or call the store to see what they recommend for certain styles .
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128
The nude color you want is called Brule. We actually get a full front liner now in Brule for almost any color other than something really dark like navy or black. When you buy light colored leos at the store they are lined in a much lighter color which I think is too light. As far as sizing goes, there is height and weight chart online but like I said different leos for differently. I would either try them on in person or call the store to see what they recommend for certain styles .

Thank you dancermom128!  That's the lining color I was trying to think of!  It's much better than the regular nude lining or the lining the same color as the leo.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Great suggestion for the nude lining option. I do have to say, though, that both of the white leos my daughter has from Yumiko were ordered on the phone directly from the store (lined!) and there was no problem.

JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptoemom
Great suggestion for the nude lining option. I do have to say, though, that both of the white leos my daughter has from Yumiko were ordered on the phone directly from the store (lined!) and there was no problem.

That's interesting.  DD's had to return custom leos because they weren't lined with the Brule... and she's had to pass on off the rack leos in pink, yellow, white, etc because it was horribly see through for her.  That's why they should definitely be tried on.  What's fine for one person may not be ok for the next.  [smile]  Maybe it's got something to do with skin tone?  Is your daughter fairer skinned?  My DD is darker complexioned, so maybe that makes it more of an issue?
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I find the liner they use in the ready to wear to be just way too light. And the woman who my daughter works with as a YumiGirl actually recommended brule as a nude liner.
tiptoemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
She is really fair. The off the rack white was fully lined. I'm just not certain what the "color" of the lining is since we did not custom order. It's good to know the actual name of the liner you are recommending! But, she's been ordering or buying there for years. Even though they are expensive, my daughter's have lasted for 5 years!
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptoemom
She is really fair. The off the rack white was fully lined. I'm just not certain what the "color" of the lining is since we did not custom order. It's good to know the actual name of the liner you are recommending! But, she's been ordering or buying there for years. Even though they are expensive, my daughter's have lasted for 5 years!

The Brule lining is much darker than the color they line with in the stores but glad the lighter one works for you! They are gorgeous and fun to design. And it's been great for my DD to be a YumiGirl and getting free leos!
dave9988

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
My DD14 would say they run *slightly* small.  Maybe a half size.

We were at their NYC store two days ago, both DD's made purchases.
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
DD was once very Yumi obsessed. Then we discovered Lucky Leo. Very similar custom styles, but I have found the fabric to be much higher quality and they are WAY less expensive.
kr12

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Also, don't get nylon fabric for white leos.  It tends to be thinner.  The techni or microfiber are slightly tighter weaves and less see through.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: