Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffygirl
On a related note, it seems like when comps have repeats of songs in the same category/same age group, they put them back to back. Wonder why?
Entry 17: Suzy/contemporary solo age 14/Hallelujah
Entry 18: Sally/contemporary solo age 14/Hallelujah
Entry 19: Tommy/contemporary solo age 14/Hallelujah
???

It could be that a computer program sorts the entries alphabetically.
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
What I expect to hear and what I hope my dd gets to dance to next year because I LOVE this song:

Believer by Imagine Dragons
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
stpierremom, YES ! Love that song. We're in a new studio and I'm not sure how her songs will be determined... and I must admit I have to remind myself, "stay in your lane, Momma!" because I really have no part in this decision, but there are so many songs I think would be so great for DD.

Well, not entirely true, as parents we do retain veto power. If somehow we wound up with a choreographer who chose something ridiculous (2 Live Crew comes to mind...) veto power would be pulled.

This could make an interesting spin off topic: what song would you absolutely veto power for your dancer?
ScottishDanceMum

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #29 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel
Share some please, ScottishDanceMum. I LOVE new music, would love to hear what's popular over the pond !

Here's a list of what I picked of our "overused" list.  

The overwhelming winner was anything from "Matilda"... not sure if it's gone the rounds yet in the US?  I know the movie was popular a long time ago, but it's a stage musical too.

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah

Anything from Matilda or Annie

Aladdin
Wednesday Addams
Castle on a Cloud
Little Match Girl

Titanium

Happy (Pharell Williams)
All of Me (John Legend)
Anythng from Frozen
Anything choreographed by Bob Fosse
Schoolyard Bully
Good Ship Lollypop
Worm at the Bottom of the Garden
Ain’t no sunshine when she’s gone
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Let’s Go Fly a Kite
Run Boy Run
Chick Chick Chicken
Hunger Games – Hanging Tree?
I Like to Move It Move It (Madagascar)
Bye Bye Blackbird
Mambo Number 5

Anything by Eva Cassidy for lyrical

America from West Side Story

I'm going to a comp next month... I'll report more findings then [smile]

Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Thank you so much, ScottishDanceMum ! Can't wait to hear what you find next month, too.
dancemonkaymom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
Rise Up.  Jesus.  Rise Up.

ive never heard of this one? is it a lyrical? I found one on youtube but its fast.
nyklane

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubu815
I love this topic, makes me laugh. Shake the Room and Play That Sax I have never even heard before. I had to look them up right now. DD group is doing lyrical to Unsteady so I will be hearing this a lot. A girl at our studio did Rule the World last year but I only heard it when she did it. My answer would definitely be Rise Up, A Little Party, Candyman or probably any Christina Aguilera song.

Shake the room and Play that Sax were our mini and petite comp groups this year.  :/
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Rise Up, Unsteady, Play That Sax (it's bad enough for a teen/Sr, but just say no for a Jr or younger; the worst was the comp where they just called the dance Sax!) and Me Too.  We heard multiple iterations of all of those songs all year.  Between Poms (HS dance team) and studio dance, it was quite painful.

We used Rise Up last season, and one soloist used Unsteady this season.  I do have to say that our studio seems to be ahead of the curve on songs.  We tend to use a lot of songs the year before they become popular.  Exes and Ohs exploded the year after we used it as did the Sleeping at Last Cover of 500 Miles.  I wonder which of this year's songs will show up on the overused list next year!
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #34 
My dd had a "popular" song a couple of years ago but never once did anyone else have that same song in her same category or age division. It usually showed up again in a different age division or as a small or large group. But never one time did another soloist that she was competing against have it. Could have been just luck of the draw because it was talked about here as one of those songs that everyone expected to hear all the time. She scored well with that solo. This year, she has a song that we've never heard anywhere else. She's again scoring well so far. 

FWIW when she picked the "popular" song, she herself had never heard it before and neither had I. 
nyklane

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpierremom
What I expect to hear and what I hope my dd gets to dance to next year because I LOVE this song:

Believer by Imagine Dragons

My DD realllllly wants to dance to this... [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: