Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
So, as this season winds down to Nationals and planning for next begins what songs did you hear this year that you are so totally done with and hope to never hear again?

What songs did you see/hear that surprised you in a good way?

Anyone care to make any predictions for the coming year?

Copyright issues in the All Star brand of competitions had a huge impact on what was played at competitions and the result is that people seem to be gravitating to songs in their entirety or hybrid covers that sound very much like cheerleading mixes. It led to a lot of variety for those that picked entire songs and a lot of droning bass beats and sound effects for those that made mixes. Nothing too dramatic to report. Glad to be leaving All Star behind.
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
UNSTEADY is the worst offender for me.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Believe it or not Fight Song is still rolling around.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Rise Up.  Jesus.  Rise Up.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
still, huh?
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Is Sia still everywhere all the time by you? Also Jasmine Thompson covers?
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Here's the list of songs that were played OVER AND OVER

Rise Up
Me Too
Play That Sax
Hallelujah (more than usual!)

ETA: Shake the Room and A Little Party, still going strong. SALUTE! SO MANY TIMES! Move was used several times again this year also!
Jinkerbelle

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Rule the World
Ugh still for two years in a row. I can't even.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I don't know what this says about me, but my goodness your responses make me giggle [wink]
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee

I saw three lyrical numbers back to back with this song at the same competition. Not sure even Jesus can help at this point.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa745
I saw three lyrical numbers back to back with this song at the same competition. Not sure even Jesus can help at this point.

Me too...three....in a row.  Plus a few scattered groups.
amandafarris03

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa745

our team did a lyrical to a variation of fight song.
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
For us it was Mermaid Party from a Barbie movie from a few years ago. We were at one comp and there were three mini groups doing this song the same morning. Went to 5 comps and only one of them didn't have a mermaid group. Ugh! 24K Magic was also popular for hip hop numbers, at one comp back to back numbers. 
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
There were a lot of Trolls the year.  I think the costume companies must have had a sale on that costume package.  

I saw less "Rise Up" than I thought I would (thankfully).  Beautiful song but ...
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Off to listen to this mermaid song... wonder what made it so popular? eta: aww, it is cute, but yep, there are a TON of videos from all over with groups using this song.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Ditto on Rise Up (our studio has a duet to it).
LittleMonkeyMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I will be happy if I never hear any of these again -- all were WAY overdone at all the comps we went to:

Rise Up
Shake The Room
Play That Sax
Me Too
ScottishDanceMum

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 

I'm loving these lists!

We're in the UK so a lot of the music hasn't really been as popular here, although I'm sure we have a ton that's overplayed here that you're not tortured with.

Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Share some please, ScottishDanceMum. I LOVE new music, would love to hear what's popular over the pond !
Mumof4

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #20 
We are in aus, my oldest does a solo to 'see the light from tangled.... along with every other 8yr old.
Lord there are soooo many kids dancing to it this year.
Under 10s do lots of Disney lyrical over here.
My 6yr old is doing Moana and I will not be surprised if it is going to be over done next year.
Redfraggle

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #21 
A large group here danced to the gummy bear song. Yes. That super annoying viral YouTube song from 10 years ago. Ugh.

I was surprised we didn't hear more of that Peter Pan song. It seems perfect for a lyrical number, I thought we'd hear it a lot.

I don't know that I've heard rise up at all here.
burghmom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
My list would be

Rise Up
Unsteady
Rule the World
Taffygirl

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #23 
On a related note, it seems like when comps have repeats of songs in the same category/same age group, they put them back to back. Wonder why?
Entry 17: Suzy/contemporary solo age 14/Hallelujah
Entry 18: Sally/contemporary solo age 14/Hallelujah
Entry 19: Tommy/contemporary solo age 14/Hallelujah
???
Bubu815

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #24 
I love this topic, makes me laugh. Shake the Room and Play That Sax I have never even heard before. I had to look them up right now. DD group is doing lyrical to Unsteady so I will be hearing this a lot. A girl at our studio did Rule the World last year but I only heard it when she did it. My answer would definitely be Rise Up, A Little Party, Candyman or probably any Christina Aguilera song.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
What makes SOs and DTs think it's advisable to use these super popular songs?  Do they just not have a clue that they are going to be so overused?  And for solos...I know that a lot of people have the opinion "ah dance to the song that is special for you."  I get that, if it is your dd's special song between her and her deceased aunty.  But lets get real....that is not happening very often.  Learn to expand your music repertoire...please.   I think comps are primarily a performance opportunity.  Don't disregard your audience.  Sorry for the crabby opinion, but when I sit through 6 hours of solos and 1/3 of them are to the same 2 songs, I want to start throwing chairs.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.