Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dancemomjb

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all, with yagp finals upon us now, DD has been watching the livestream of finals, and is loving the contemporary. To any of you who compete at regionals like Showstoppers, Headliners, Turn it Up etc, do you see any solos like yagp solos? If so, how do they place? DD is thinking of bringing a solo to both yagp and New England regionals and not sure how it would score. Thank you
Rebelina

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My DD competed at YAGP for the first time this year and her contemporary coach specifically choreographed her solo for YAGP but she also competes it at our regular regional comps. She placed 2nd at YAGP and has placed 1st, 2nd and 4th at our regional comps so far this season and has even won title and icon awards.

I think a good solo with good technique will always do well.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I'm sure it would do well at a regular comp, it certainly would do well at a convention.

Now ballet variations on the other hand you're more likely to get wonky results at some competitions.
prancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #4 
The YAGP contemporary dances from our studio and nearby ballet studios do well at local comps and conventions.  
DanceMommy2Riley

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
My daughter competed at YAGP for the first time this year too - and placed in the Top 12. I'm sure that she would do very well at a "regular competition" too. I firmly believe that a beautiful solo with flawless technique will always score high, regardless of whether or not the dancer is competing at YAGP. [smile]
JustSaying

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceMommy2Riley
My daughter competed at YAGP for the first time this year too - and placed in the Top 12. I'm sure that she would do very well at a "regular competition" too. I firmly believe that a beautiful solo with flawless technique will always score high, regardless of whether or not the dancer is competing at YAGP. [smile]

Quote:

We will be attending YAGP in the spring for the first time and DD is super excited. She has been competing for 3 years, but this is her first year competing as an "independent."  

Quote:
My daughter is also on the older end (she just turned 15 a few weeks ago), so I believe she will be in the senior division. I will search for a practice tutu and hopefully I am skilled enough to embellish it myself lol! 

Did she place top 12 Contemporary? Because there was only one 15 year old independent dancer listed in the top 12 in Toronto, and she has an older dancing sister. You haven't mentioned another dancing daughter.

Or did you mean top 12 Classical? Because the only 15 year old independent there is S.P., who's been instagramming from the finals in NYC. 

Am I missing something? 

joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSaying

Did she place top 12 Contemporary? Because there was only one 15 year old independent dancer listed in the top 12 in Toronto, and she has an older dancing sister. You haven't mentioned another dancing daughter.

Or did you mean top 12 Classical? Because the only 15 year old independent there is S.P., who's been instagramming from the finals in NYC. 

Am I missing something? 

I have no idea who this is but if she just turned 15 she would be in the junior 12-14 category because she would have been 14 as of January 1st.  

Looks like you created a new user id to try to accuse someone of lying.

Not cool.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Is it really necessary to stalk someone, collect their posts, and try to either get them to identify themselves or call them a liar?  People have a right to be anonymous.  Creating an alternate ego to attack other members is just not right.
DanceMommy2Riley

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Just saw this post. I agree with ggsmith - The thing that was appealing to me about this forum is that it is anonymous - i.e, not having to disclose my DD's identity. 

JustSaying - I noticed that you just created your account... I also notice that your reply to my comment is your first post. I really do not appreciate the fact that you are stalking me/my DD, and I will NOT disclose my DD's identity online... As joriebelle said, not cool. [nono]

Also JustSaying, why are you looking for my child online? THIS is why I DO NOT and WILL NOT allow my DD to get a public Instagram. I do not want complete strangers stalking my child online! I thought this forum would be fairly safe because it is anonymous, but apparently not... Geez! [eek]

Lorax

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
And this entire thread will be deleted in 3.... 2... 1....
DanceMommy2Riley

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Probably... [rolleyes]
Emmie46

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
My daughter placed in the Top Twelve Contemporary and has placed first in all but one regular competitions.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Fwiw... I wouldn't get too worked up DanceMommy2Riley.  It would appear the 'new' poster felt that there was some inconsistency in the postings and was trying to get some clarification.  I'm not seeing the inconsistency myself but....  that's neither here nor there.  My point here is simply that there's no 'stalking' going on.  Someone just asked a question.  I guess you can answer it or not.. up to you... but whatever you choose, it's not worth getting upset over.  The right or wrong of it aside, there's been no harm done.
DanceMommy2Riley

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Fwiw... I wouldn't get too worked up DanceMommy2Riley.  It would appear the 'new' poster felt that there was some inconsistency in the postings and was trying to get some clarification.  I'm not seeing the inconsistency myself but....  that's neither here nor there.  My point here is simply that there's no 'stalking' going on.  Someone just asked a question.  I guess you can answer it or not.. up to you... but whatever you choose, it's not worth getting upset over.  The right or wrong of it aside, there's been no harm done.

Thanks Heidi!

[like]
JustSaying

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Actually, OLD poster. Used to post here years ago until oldest daughter quit comp dance for winterguard. Stayed away for a long time. Have been lurking and reading since fall, when youngest son decided to give dance a shot. I've been on this merry-go-round before but it's a lot different with a boy. Not a lot of parents of boys posting though so not as helpful as the first time around. Forgot my password for the old account and don't have that email address anymore since we changed cable providers. Made this account over a week ago, finally getting ready to ask some questions on some summer options for boys once I got the info from a couple of places, not specially for questioning you.

I can't believe I'm the only one that's been seeing the inconsistencies. Back in the old days I was always the very last one to figure out this stuff. I always got sucked in. Someone else would point out the contradictions and I'd be like ohhhhhhhh yeah I see it now. I have not been "stalking" - a good friend whose kid did compete at YAGP in our area as a pre-comp independent (and who knows both other dancers I named, one personally and the other through social media) was trying to make a statement about trends at finals for independents vs studios and pulled up pages and pages of regional results to make her point to me. I remembered your theoretical independent's theoretical success which has been brought up here so very often recently and looked for them. Didn't seem to be anyone there. Decided to ask about it.

I did not go searching out your kid specifically but the things that don't match up over and over just seem glaringly obvious. 

Started dance "late" at 10 but went all the way to TDA finals as a mini. How does that work? Was a top 10 for TDA in 2011, but didn't start dancing until 5 years ago and didn't start competing until 3 years ago. Also runner up for NYCDA OD as a junior - presumably again either before actually starting to compete or immediately after starting. Started ballet at 10 and pointe at 11. I suppose the last two are possible, if unlikely, but the others might require a time machine. Oh yeah just turned 15 in late January but was "about to turn 16" in March. And now maybe actually didn't turn 15 in January. And on and on. Like literally every post contradicts some other one that goes up in the same week. I really can't believe I'm the only one that's been seeing this. I don't even read here that often but every time I open it up you've said some other thing that doesn't match what you already said. I don't imagine I could stalk you even if I wanted to because half of what you've said can't possibly be true if the other half is. Don't worry, not bothering to try. Who would be able to guess which set of contradictory facts is real? You're so anonymous right now you'd be totally stalk-proof.

Anyway. Go ahead and thumbs me down. This board doesn't require you to lose your anonymity and I certainly always protected mine and my kid's back in the day but boards like this are only useful to people who want information when the people posting don't BS. Yeah, ok, fudge your kid's age or what state you live in or the song you're dancing to or your job or your other kids' genders or whatever you need to do to obscure your identity. I did that here before and will do it again. I do it on the other two boards I post on for the exact same reasons. That's smart and I get people making that choice. But to just make stuff up that matters? To give reviews on competitions that you haven't attended? To spin a random tale and just make up random achievements? Or just to change the timeline on real achievements to make them seem more impressive? Yeah I guess people aren't really hurting anybody by living a fantasy life online. Have fun. But people doing that makes informational boards NOT USEFUL to other people who actually want real information. If people want to make stuff up go join a fiction board. Go on WattPad. Don't muddy up informational sources people actually want to use. All the wasted time replying to posts of pretend problems of pretend kids when they just get deleted? Argh.

Also a little weird to put a kid's name in your user name and then argue you want to be anonymous. If that's actually not your kid's name, it's a super weird user name to choose, but OK whatever. If it is, that's super not-anonymous for someone with such strong feelings about the subject. Here. You can stalk me a little. My user name sounds like my actual name if you slur it together just right. I've used it on another board before too, long ago. Have fun. 

OK. I'm going back to lurking. Maybe I'll go ask about boy's summer classes on BTFD. I'll have to use proper punctuation and mind my P's and Q's but there's a higher mod quotient and a lower fantasy quotient. Seriously, not going to stalk you the least little bit. No worries. I'm done with this topic. Have a great day. Hey, Heidi. You rock. Keep tellin it like it is.

Heheh. I think that was just a YAGP YAGE. snort.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Hmmm.

The only inconsistency I saw was that in December she said her daughter just turned 15 a few weeks ago but then last week she said her daughter was about to turn 16.  I guess you can call that an inconsistency but maybe she thinks turning 16 in a few months is SOON.  I don't know.  I'm a sentimental mom and I can see myself saying something like that.

As for everything else you mentioned, I didn't find any of that reading through her posts.  I read through every one and found nothing that would make me think she is making up who she is or who her DD is.   Where does is say she said her daughter turned 15 at the end of January?  She only said "just turned 15" but could still be referring to late November.  That isn't a lie.

My DD13 goes to a pre-pro ballet school that doesn't do comps, except YAGP.  But, we do some regular dance comps just to get stage time and practice performing in front of an audience.  I do put our studio's name on the registration but it's sorta the same thing as independent so maybe that's what she means too.  I don't know.

Coming down on someone because of their user name because they say they want to be anonymous - what business is that of yours?  So what.  

I don't like getting sucked into drama like this, but when I see someone get "bullied" I need to step in.  Just leave her alone and stop making it your business to be the DanceMom detective.  Sometimes we can just be a little careless when writing things.  I saw where she said her daughter has been dancing for 8 years but several times has said she started at age 10.  Maybe she wasn't counting right.  That was one thing but over and over again she talks about her daughter being 10 when she started.

I don't know.  I guess I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.  I suppose you're entitled to your opinion though, Sherlock, but as for me, I'll give kindness top billing first.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I'm just trying to figure out where people find time to figure out inconsistencies.   As a full-time working mom with 2 kids - one of whom dances, I can barely keep my own life straight let alone worry about people I don't know on a dance mom's forum.

I totally get the age thing - I'm an accountant and tend to round up 6 months prior to the birthdays [biggrin] but then catch myself.  So for me, I'll talk about my daughter being 16 sometimes because she will be in June but other times, I'll say she's 15 because technically she is and for dance competition purposes she is.

Years ago, I was called out on a parenting sight when I accidentally said I had my ds at 34 1/2 weeks when it really was 36 1/2.  The person got nasty.  I had mommy brain at the time and was thinking full term was 36 weeks instead of 40.
2dornot2d

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I understand not typing the ages correctly. I also think DanceMommy2Riley's daughter might be one of those naturally talented kid so she made the top 10 best dancer at the dance awards, the year she started dancing. If her daughter is getting scholarships at conventions in Teen rooms, it proves she is still really good. Our studio has great group of teen dancers but the convention teen rooms are just too hard. First time YAGP and making top 12 is a big deal at age 15-16. I assume her daughter gets very good training to support her talent.

I also understand what the other poster is trying to say. Starting dance at 10, starting ballet at 11 and getting pointe shoes at 11-12 sounds a little untrue. If I assume her daughter is TDA top 10 talent, it makes sense. Some kids were just born with talent, presence and everything... not my DDs LOL.

One of my DD turned 16 in Feb, and I don't even imagine her making to The Best Dancer at age 10, let alone top 10.
DanceMommy2Riley

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
Hmmm.

The only inconsistency I saw was that in December she said her daughter just turned 15 a few weeks ago but then last week she said her daughter was about to turn 16.  I guess you can call that an inconsistency but maybe she thinks turning 16 in a few months is SOON.  I don't know.  I'm a sentimental mom and I can see myself saying something like that.

As for everything else you mentioned, I didn't find any of that reading through her posts.  I read through every one and found nothing that would make me think she is making up who she is or who her DD is.   Where does is say she said her daughter turned 15 at the end of January?  She only said "just turned 15" but could still be referring to late November.  That isn't a lie.

My DD13 goes to a pre-pro ballet school that doesn't do comps, except YAGP.  But, we do some regular dance comps just to get stage time and practice performing in front of an audience.  I do put our studio's name on the registration but it's sorta the same thing as independent so maybe that's what she means too.  I don't know.

Coming down on someone because of their user name because they say they want to be anonymous - what business is that of yours?  So what.  

I don't like getting sucked into drama like this, but when I see someone get "bullied" I need to step in.  Just leave her alone and stop making it your business to be the DanceMom detective.  Sometimes we can just be a little careless when writing things.  I saw where she said her daughter has been dancing for 8 years but several times has said she started at age 10.  Maybe she wasn't counting right.  That was one thing but over and over again she talks about her daughter being 10 when she started.

I don't know.  I guess I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.  I suppose you're entitled to your opinion though, Sherlock, but as for me, I'll give kindness top billing first.

Thank you joriebelle! Looking back at some of my older posts, I have realized that some of my dates/ages may be incorrect - and by incorrect I mean "careless" little mistakes, if you will. My DD did start dance late and competed A LOT during her first years of dance, so there is a HUGE possibility that I am mixing up dates and ages and competitions, because let's be honest here - I do not scrapbook every single thing my DD does and I wasn't expecting to be "investigated," so maybe I got a tad careless... Who cares? I do know one thing for sure though... I barely have enough time in my day to eat and shower, let alone "lying" on a dance forum! My gosh! [rolleyes]

Anywho, I appreciate you stepping in! 
DanceMommy2Riley

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2miracles
I'm just trying to figure out where people find time to figure out inconsistencies.   As a full-time working mom with 2 kids - one of whom dances, I can barely keep my own life straight let alone worry about people I don't know on a dance mom's forum.

I totally get the age thing - I'm an accountant and tend to round up 6 months prior to the birthdays [biggrin] but then catch myself.  So for me, I'll talk about my daughter being 16 sometimes because she will be in June but other times, I'll say she's 15 because technically she is and for dance competition purposes she is.

Years ago, I was called out on a parenting sight when I accidentally said I had my ds at 34 1/2 weeks when it really was 36 1/2.  The person got nasty.  I had mommy brain at the time and was thinking full term was 36 weeks instead of 40.

Agreed! Like I said, I barely have time to eat and shower in a day, let alone having the time to make up fake stories on a dance forum!! [crazy]

I also think that age is kinda subjective - "just turned 15" to me, may mean something totally different to someone else. I'm the kind of person who says she is about to turn an age months before her birthday, which to others may mean that her birthday is any day. I don't put that much thought into posting, and maybe I got careless at certain points... I certainly was not trying to stir the pot and cause all this drama... that's for sure!!
DanceMommy2Riley

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dornot2d
I understand not typing the ages correctly. I also think DanceMommy2Riley's daughter might be one of those naturally talented kid so she made the top 10 best dancer at the dance awards, the year she started dancing. If her daughter is getting scholarships at conventions in Teen rooms, it proves she is still really good. Our studio has great group of teen dancers but the convention teen rooms are just too hard. First time YAGP and making top 12 is a big deal at age 15-16. I assume her daughter gets very good training to support her talent.

I also understand what the other poster is trying to say. Starting dance at 10, starting ballet at 11 and getting pointe shoes at 11-12 sounds a little untrue. If I assume her daughter is TDA top 10 talent, it makes sense. Some kids were just born with talent, presence and everything... not my DDs LOL.

One of my DD turned 16 in Feb, and I don't even imagine her making to The Best Dancer at age 10, let alone top 10.

Like I mentioned above, I may have mixed my ages/dates, etc. up at some points because heck I can be careless at times...[rofl] Anyway, my DD did start dance late, but she was in gymnastics beforehand, so she already had some flexibility and her aerial (that being said, she wasn't a very good gymnast - she was terrified of tricks and her flexibility didn't match up with the other girls) so she decided she wanted to try dance instead. Fast forward, and here we are now. She still hates tricks, but her flexibility has improved... She did pick up quick, but she also had a lot of skills before she started dance from gymnastics, so it wasn't like she started completely from scratch! She does, however, certainly work hard to be where she is now... [smile]

dancemomjb

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelina
My DD competed at YAGP for the first time this year and her contemporary coach specifically choreographed her solo for YAGP but she also competes it at our regular regional comps. She placed 2nd at YAGP and has placed 1st, 2nd and 4th at our regional comps so far this season and has even won title and icon awards.

I think a good solo with good technique will always do well.

Thank you for answering! What regionals do you attend - we are just trying to get a feel for which comps like the style :)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.