Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
slattshe

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm just curious about something. 

I see from IG that Tate McRae is competing at YAGP this weekend. 

Does her celebrity status play into her results at all?  My daughter competes in Calgary but we are in the "ordinary" comp world, not that level at all. 

I was wondering how the Tates and Avery Gays and all those semi-dance-celebrities actually stack up against other dancers who don't have as much of an online presence?  To me, they seem like amazing dancers, but I don't know how many others are out there that we just don't know about/don't have the IG followers. 

I'm sort of rambling, but I think you get what I mean.  Anyways, I'm just curious as to your thoughts on this...

joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
At YAGP Finals this past year Avery was top 12.  I think Tate is a beautiful contemporary dancer but her classical wasn't up to par with Avery.  Last year at least anyway.  As for whether her celebrity status plays into her results I certainly hope not.  I don't really think the YAGP judges care that either of them were on a tv show.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
You can look at the winners from the regionals and previous year's NYC finals on the YAGP.org website - you'll find more names you don't recognize than names you do.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
YAGP has no problem advertising their "favorites" and a lot of those (for younger dancers) are kids with tons of followers on youtube and instagram.  Sophia Lucia was all over their media last year and it was her first year competing.

It is very political and a lot of the results are basically determined before the dancers even step on the stage (Our AD was told that her super talented student wouldn't make finals one year even before he danced because they wanted another dancer to have the spot because they wanted him to go and get the Royal Ballet School scholarship).  There are kids who don't qualify with scores for NYC who get to go because their directors are friends with the YAGP directors.

I've seen a couple of the younger YAGP stars and they are totally amazing.  Reina Stamm last year was easily the best in the pre-comp group at YAGP Seattle last year.  However being amazing at 11 doesn't mean that you're amazing at 13 or 15 and once you get into the Junior division I don't think many of those instafamous dancers will continue to be so far above their peer group.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I suspect that many of the judges have no idea who Tate McRea is unless she has already been a stand out at YAGP or some other ballet event. 
lotsofdancers

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD was in her master class today and the teachers certainly knew who she was.  DD said she was very good in ballet and especially good in contemporary and she would not be surprised at all if she did very well here at YAGP.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Well, I am clueless. Who is JT? 

I looked up Tate McRae. This is not her first year competing at YAGP. So, despite TV and IG, she was already a known entity to them as she won the silver medal in the NYC finals in 2015. This is very different than being known because she was on SYTYCD or because she is known on the non-ballet comp circuit. 
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
JT Church - he went pretty far on SYTYCD and recently won the Hope Award in Philadelphia. He's talented and has potential but there was a lot of sickling and missing turnout in his variation. I admit I'm probably nitpicking a little. 

PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
And...just saw the screen capture used on the embedded YT video - that's some of what I was talking about heh.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 

He's cute!

And you are not nitpicking. Some placement issues too. But, he's just 11 and has a lot of potential. 

I hate to say this, but I will. I have seen this in Philly before... I feel like there are some boy points given there. I was at a Philly regional one year where numbers 1, 2 and 3 were boys. There was no way that each and every one of those boys was better than the more than 100 girls that were in that age division. Simply no way. I saw some boys with fabulous potential who had sickled feet and saw SO many girls with potential who did not sickle their feet at all. Grr. Not to say the boys were not incredibly talented, just that some incredibly talented girls were just as deserving, if not more because they had better technique but less flash. 

lovetowatch

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I have seen boys place higher than girls with better technique at regionals in Texas as well. It is a shame since you are comparing a girl with good technique en pointe to a boy with lesser technique (without the added difficulty of pointe). I don't think the boys should get more points just for being boys.
wvpointe

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
He's 11?  I know nothing about him, but when I watched the clip I thought you were being "nitpicky".  But I also thought he was around 8 or 9 years old.  For 11 not strong enough technically for Hope Award would be my opinion (humble as it is).
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
He turned 11 a few days after YAGP I think so he was still 10 when he danced. He is a little guy, definitely looks much younger. Again - talented and has a lot of potential but the Hope Award surprised me.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I remember watching the Jr division at Finals last year and the girls were out and were tall and adultish looking and the the boys came out and looked like little kids.  The development is just so different as are the skills until they're in their late teens.

The boys shouldn't be competing against the girls.  It's not fair to the girls or the boys.  I don't care if there's just four of them, if there are just four of them then just give a first place or just call dancers that receive some unspoken score.  I'm hoping there are enough boys in my daughter's division this year that they're not competing directly against the girls.
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
This is the first year that Tate has done a classical. She did a contemporary variation two years ago and placed at finals. She did not do YAGP last year. This is the first year that YYC is bringing multiple dancers to YAGP. Bella Klaassen is also competing. These girls are not "normal" competition dancers. They train ballet with the School of Alberta Ballet during the day and the YYC program is in the evening. 
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
DD14 danced with/against an Instagram and SYTYCD famous dancer at the early Chicago date, and she was very deserving of her placement. I have other comments about some odd behavior but I don't blame her with literally everyone talking about her kinda right in front of her.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I think that any boy who is relatively good or shows decent potential is going to get sone recognition at YAGP. Girls are held to a much higher standard. While it may not be fair, I do kind of understand it. There are so many girls, and only a handful boys at each regional. The ballet world needs boys, so I feel like the judges just want to encourage them. It is frustrating though to see boys placing above girls who have stronger technique. I have definitely seen amazing boys too of course that fully deserved their placement.

Our studio sent several girls and one boy to YAGP. Our boy was the oldest dancer that went from our studio and probably had close to the weakest technique for his age from our studio. This was his first year really focusing on ballet. He was the only one from our studio to place top 12, and he also was given a full scholarship to a SI by one of the judges.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.