Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
IteachM

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #1 
Our DD12 wants to take master classes at YAGP (just take classes, not compete). I'm hoping she doesn't feel odd taking classes but not competing. Has anyone else done that? How did it go?  Any thoughts?  Thanks
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
If she is going to do it at a regional and you don' t have to travel it would be okay.

Otherwise, it would be a waste of money IMO.  They often just kind of piece the classes together at the regionals.  It's kind of whoever is available.  That can be really good or it can not be.  It's just potluck. 
IteachM

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by classydance
If she is going to do it at a regional and you don' t have to travel it would be okay.

Otherwise, it would be a waste of money IMO.  They often just kind of piece the classes together at the regionals.  It's kind of whoever is available.  That can be really good or it can not be.  It's just potluck. 

It's within 20 minutes of our house, so nothing really invested except time and about $90. 
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Go for it.  She'll have fun, get to see what her peers look like, my daughter has always enjoyed the classes and they do a good job of making sure they're not too obnoxiously huge.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
My daughter loved the classes and I feel that they are worth it even if you don't compete. There are about 10 students on the class roster for YAGP in Kansas City that aren't competing, so not a lot but some do it.
MarisaMarisa

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #6 
The classes are real classical dance with teachers who are working in the concert dancer industry. It's very different from the marketing style teachers you find at conventions. It will be a great experience but there won't be all the bells and whistles that you find from convention teachers. 
It won't be odd that she isn't competing. 
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
At our regional there are different classes for dancers entered as soloists and those entered in ensembles.  You might want to check if that is the case and where they send dancers who aren't in the competition.  My impression was that the ensemble dancers did not get the same quality of teacher as solo entries.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.