Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #51 
$175 an hour?  Wow, that teacher must have a huge resume for that. . . .  That's absurd, sounds like they're trying to discourage kids from doing YAGP while still allowing it (and using it to make extra money from those who insist).  The same with a $200 rental for a tutu from your studio, that's far more than the cost of wear and tear and cleaning. . . .

joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #52 
Omg Heidi, $175 an hour for a private?!  That is insane!  Wow.  And $750 for a choreo fee also seems high.  And they charge a coaching fee on the day of competition too?!  Yes I can see where that would be thousands of dollars.  Do most studios do this or is that unusal?  My DD goes to a smaller school so I imagine it's run differently, but I didn't pay a coaching fee or choreography fee and paid $150 for a general YAGP fee.  The privates were $80 an hour for one of the teachers and $75 an hour for the hour, but she sees them every week so that added up.  The costume I was blessed to find a nice lady who does beautiful work but doesn't charge a super lot.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
$175 an hour?  Wow, that teacher must have a huge resume for that. . . .  That's absurd, sounds like they're trying to discourage kids from doing YAGP while still allowing it (and using it to make extra money from those who insist).  The same with a $200 rental for a tutu from your studio, that's far more than the cost of wear and tear and cleaning. . . .

She does.  They both do (it's a husband/wife team).  And people pay it.  Some pay for 2-3 privates a wk on top of a hefty tuition. Last year I think 4 or 5 were doing that on a pretty regular basis & many more were doing one a wk just for tech (not YAGP prep).  I'm not sure about this year because now that I rarely get into the studio I'm out of the loop. (eta: & the tutus aren't exactly "studio" tutus.. they were worn by the AD during her career).

And joriebelle - I think it's unusual.  But, as I said, people are willing to pay. Five or six dancers come from out of state.  A couple just do a crazy commute (close to 2 hrs each way) while others rent apts & go home on the wkends. The training is top notch & the classes very very small.  It really was amazing how they transformed my dd in just that 1st year.  I don't think she would have grown that much at any other ballet school w/in a reasonable commute (& I'm outside of Boston so not exactly the sticks).

eta:  dd auditioned for a late August SI in Boston last night & in talking w/the AD about YAGP (because one of their dancers had done well at the Boston regional the week before) the above costs came up.   Her eyes almost fell out of her head.  And she & those she employs for her student's YAGP prep have very nice resumes as well.  So yeah... our AD considers herself to be a prime commodity.
cypressmom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
We've only done YAGP for 2 years and only pre-competitive so my experience is limited, so take this with a grain of salt.  I thought the contemporary was all over the map; there were a few boys who did more of a musical theatre - one young boy wore a flannel shirt and jeans and did like a hoedown kind of dance!  Then there were a couple dancers that did a classical variation and called it contemporary, then there were some ballet-focused contemporary, and then there were some of what you would call "competition" contemporary.  I found some of the numbers amazing, and some not very good at all, which went against the stereotype I had that everyone at YAGP would be amazing.  Maybe it's different for the junior and senior levels.  At Nationals however, I would definitely say that every single dancer that made it there was amazing and deserved to be there and it WAS a very serious ballet competition for serious ballet dancers.

As far as spending thousands and thousands of dollars though, I agree with you Heidi that if you make it to Nationals in NY it's really expensive, but just to do a regional it only costs $100 to enter each solo and then the master classes are free.  Or did you mean all the thousands of dollars you spend on privates to prepare for YAGP?  If that's what you meant then I do definitely agree with that.  Although I have to say that the extra privates every week helped make DD a better dancer despite what happens at YAGP.

We have gone to YAGP the last two years and there has been a fee (I think $95) for the master classes, on top of the solo and ensemble fees)
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #55 

$175 per hour for privates/coaching is definitely on the upper end, though I know others who charge more. We know a former principal ballerina who charges over $200 an hour (I think it was $225 or 250). She, however, charges much less for her students, including former students. I think we paid $125ish for a private with her a few years ago. I cannot remember if that was the total with the studio rental fee. I had to find and pay for the studio myself. This is not unusual in NYC. Dd also once a did a private with a younger teacher who charged $150 an hour and it was NOT in NYC. I was hesitant. She used her own birthday money and said it was worth every penny for what she got out of it. 

Here's a shocker.. there are still a few variations that really do not quite seem to belong in NYC. I've seen it at least twice now- a classical variation that makes you go "huh? How did this dancer possibly get here?" especially when you know the quality of performances that did not qualify. You can qualify by video as well as a regional and I wonder if that and perhaps politics has an influence on those outliers. 

BTW, I'm hoping to catch some of the senior men and women this year. Haven't checked the schedule yet to see when I can go. If anyone is going to be around and wants to try to meet up (I know time is short), you can PM me. 

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #56 

$175 per hour for privates/coaching is definitely on the upper end, though I know others who charge more. We know a former principal ballerina who charges over $200 an hour (I think it was $225 or 250). She, however, charges much less for her students, including former students. I think we paid $125ish for a private with her a few years ago. I cannot remember if that was the total with the studio rental fee. I had to find and pay for the studio myself. This is not unusual in NYC. Dd also once a did a private with a younger teacher who charged $150 an hour and it was NOT in NYC. I was hesitant. She used her own birthday money and said it was worth every penny for what she got out of it. It's definitely crazy how expensive it all can be. Then again, those that do competition may not pay as much for a private, but they may pay much more in fees over time.. or not. 

Here's a shocker.. there are still a few variations that really do not quite seem to belong in NYC. I've seen it at least twice now- a classical variation that makes you go "huh? How did this dancer possibly get here?" especially when you know the quality of performances that did not qualify. You can qualify by video as well as a regional and I wonder if that and perhaps politics has an influence on those outliers. 

BTW, I'm hoping to catch some of the senior men and women this year. Haven't checked the schedule yet to see when I can go. If anyone is going to be around and wants to try to meet up (I know time is short), you can PM me. 

Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #57 
I have loved reading everyone's replies! We have went ahead and committed to a solo for YAGP. Our ballet teacher who will be choreographing is very expensive. We will be paying triple for her choreography fee (versus the comp choreography fees for solo's) and double the normal hourly private rate. With that said, this teacher is phenomenal. So I think what I'm really paying for is the next year of quality training and individual work that will improve my daughter's technique and dance ability as a whole, regardless of how she does at YAGP. But it is a bit scary to know I'm investing so much money in this. I keep asking myself if I'm crazy! Lol My daughter does not plan (at this point) to be a ballerina... However she does love it and wants to dance as much as possible and so I really want to give her a solid and quality foundation in case she does want to attempt the professional path... But it's scary.

So one thing I don't quite understand is the term pre-competitive for her age. Isn't it really competitive if kids are placing and getting NYC invites? Or maybe I'm wrong and that doesn't happen. Because of her February birthday, she can enter the next 2 years in this level, but I'm struggling to understand what it means. Unless it's just another word for mini. [smile]

gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #58 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancerfun
I have loved reading everyone's replies! We have went ahead and committed to a solo for YAGP. Our ballet teacher who will be choreographing is very expensive. We will be paying triple for her choreography fee (versus the comp choreography fees for solo's) and double the normal hourly private rate. With that said, this teacher is phenomenal. So I think what I'm really paying for is the next year of quality training and individual work that will improve my daughter's technique and dance ability as a whole, regardless of how she does at YAGP. But it is a bit scary to know I'm investing so much money in this. I keep asking myself if I'm crazy! Lol My daughter does not plan (at this point) to be a ballerina... However she does love it and wants to dance as much as possible and so I really want to give her a solid and quality foundation in case she does want to attempt the professional path... But it's scary. So one thing I don't quite understand is the term pre-competitive for her age. Isn't it really competitive if kids are placing and getting NYC invites? Or maybe I'm wrong and that doesn't happen. Because of her February birthday, she can enter the next 2 years in this level, but I'm struggling to understand what it means. Unless it's just another word for mini. [smile]

Pre-competitive is 11 and under. Yes they can qualify to New York based on a score of 95 on their Classical OR their Contemporary (Once they are juniors they can only qualify based off the score on the classical). Judges will invite students to compete who do not achieve the score of 95 or higher as well if they would like to see them again. Scores can be all over the place and three judges can give a 95, 94, 93, while the fourth judge may give an 85 (I speak from personal experience here!). Feel free to PM me with other questions. 
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #59 
Yes- precompetitive is just the name of that age division. [smile] I suppose it is just another name for mini, if you are trying to compare it to "normal" competitions. I watched some of the pre-competitive dancers in the NYC finals probably 3 years ago. In some ways, they are a bit more fun to watch as there is more variety than watching another yet another Paquita variation. 
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #60 
Gymanddance, my DD11 did YAGP last year and this year in pre-competitive, and you're right when you say the training alone for that year will improve your daughter's dance ability as a whole.  Regardless of scores at YAGP, that one-on-one training does wonders.  I saw more growth in my DD these last two years than ever before.  It was a great experience.  Do you know what regional city you want to do?
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #61 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymanddance

Pre-competitive is 11 and under. Yes they can qualify to New York based on a score of 95 on their Classical OR their Contemporary (Once they are juniors they can only qualify based off the score on the classical). Judges will invite students to compete who do not achieve the score of 95 or higher as well if they would like to see them again. Scores can be all over the place and three judges can give a 95, 94, 93, while the fourth judge may give an 85 (I speak from personal experience here!). Feel free to PM me with other questions. 

Thank you for the information! So to qualify with 95 is that the average between all the judges? Or do you just need at least one score of 95?
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #62 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
Yes- precompetitive is just the name of that age division. [smile] I suppose it is just another name for mini, if you are trying to compare it to "normal" competitions. I watched some of the pre-competitive dancers in the NYC finals probably 3 years ago. In some ways, they are a bit more fun to watch as there is more variety than watching another yet another Paquita variation. 

Thanks! I'm getting excited. We start choreography in two weeks. [smile]
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #63 
Quote:
Gymanddance, my DD11 did YAGP last year and this year in pre-competitive, and you're right when you say the training alone for that year will improve your daughter's dance ability as a whole.  Regardless of scores at YAGP, that one-on-one training does wonders.  I saw more growth in my DD these last two years than ever before.  It was a great experience.  Do you know what regional city you want to do?

We are looking at Seattle next January. [smile]
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #64 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancerfun
Thanks! I'm getting excited. We start choreography in two weeks. [smile]

They average the scores. So one low score can really bring down the average. However, if they like your DD and want to see more of her they will invite her to New York without a score of 95. She will get the NY stamp/sticker on her score card. 
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #65 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymanddance

They average the scores. So one low score can really bring down the average. However, if they like your DD and want to see more of her they will invite her to New York without a score of 95. She will get the NY stamp/sticker on her score card. 

Okay, thank you. [smile]
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #66 
Dancerfun, you'll have to let us know how it goes in Seattle for your DD!  Mine competed this weekend and awards are in a few hours.  I'm very nervous.  She did well with no big mistakes but there is a lot of insanely good talent so we have no expectations.  I'm praying for top 12 and would be happy with that!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #67 
How did it go for your dd, joriebelle? Hope she had a good experience! 
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #68 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
How did it go for your dd, joriebelle? Hope she had a good experience! 

I will PM you, tendumom
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #69 
Quote:
Dancerfun, you'll have to let us know how it goes in Seattle for your DD!  Mine competed this weekend and awards are in a few hours.  I'm very nervous.  She did well with no big mistakes but there is a lot of insanely good talent so we have no expectations.  I'm praying for top 12 and would be happy with that!

I'm glad your DD did well! We ended up deciding to hold off until next year. My daughter only just started a pre-professional ballet program this fall and after much consideration we decided it was best to wait a year. She will be 11 next January and still at the pre-competitive level. We did go to watch, however! I am really glad we did. It was a really fun experience. After watching, her ballet teacher said she'd like us to add a classical piece for next year as well. We are still deciding on that. I sure hope your daughter made the top 12 as you hoped!!! [smile]
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #70 
Quote:

I will PM you, tendumom

I think we're all curious considering we have discussed it so much and cheered her on.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #71 
No, she did not do as well as we hoped she would LOL.  She got top 12 for contemporary and top 24 for classical. For the classical she was not wearing enough makeup and since she is extremely fair we got feedback about her being washed away on stage and they couldn't see her face.   So her average score for both contemporary pieces was 94.2 but it was lower for classical.  [frown]  For the contemporary pieces, my friend did her makeup.  She even drew on eyebrows!  DD cried the whole way to the competition and took some of it off.  But there was still alot and I honestly think that is why she did so much better with contemporary!  Then the next day DD wore far less makeup and I fought her on it but I gave in - not sure if I should have but I did.  Now she is seeing the consequences.   It makes me sad but it is what it is.  Also, she is only 12 so this is not the end of the world, and better to learn it now than when she is 16.  We had no expectation of winning but I think she did want to make top 12.

I thought I may as well attach the videos if you wanted to see them; these are 2 of the 4 she did; first one is one of her contemporaries and the second is her Swanhilda variation.  I didn't have her costume at the time so she's wearing one from the studio.  These were recorded at the beginning of December at a rehearsal and not at YAGP.

https://inspirations.smugmug.com/Movies/Elisabeth-Imprevisto/

https://inspirations.smugmug.com/Movies/Elisabeth-Coppelia-Swanhilda-V/

JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #72 
Quote:
No, she did not do as well as we hoped she would LOL.  She got top 12 for contemporary and top 24 for classical. For the classical she was not wearing enough makeup and since she is extremely fair we got feedback about her being washed away on stage and they couldn't see her face.   So her average score for both contemporary pieces was 94.2 but it was lower for classical.  [frown]  For the contemporary pieces, my friend did her makeup.  She even drew on eyebrows!  DD cried the whole way to the competition and took some of it off.  But there was still alot and I honestly think that is why she did so much better with contemporary!  Then the next day DD wore far less makeup and I fought her on it but I gave in - not sure if I should have but I did.  Now she is seeing the consequences.   It makes me sad but it is what it is.  Also, she is only 12 so this is not the end of the world, and better to learn it now than when she is 16.  We had no expectation of winning but I think she did want to make top 12.

I thought I may as well attach the videos if you wanted to see them; these are 2 of the 4 she did; first one is one of her contemporaries and the second is her Swanhilda variation.  I didn't have her costume at the time so she's wearing one from the studio.  These were recorded at the beginning of December at a rehearsal and not at YAGP.

https://inspirations.smugmug.com/Movies/Elisabeth-Imprevisto/

https://inspirations.smugmug.com/Movies/Elisabeth-Coppelia-Swanhilda-V/

Ahh... the dreaded makeup fight.  My DD HATES makeup... for her solos she puts on the very minimum... no lashes, light makeup, a little lipstick... if she wears earrings they're just something simple, not the blingy comp ones.  So, to this day, she's right there with your DD in that regard... and she's 18!  Of course she's a minimalist in all regards... minimal makeup, simple, bling free costume, no hair pieces... lol  Fortunately it never seemed to impact her scores, but she was doing NYCDA and BTF, not YAGP.  So it's probably very different.

FWIW, I think her solos look beautiful!  [smile]  And aging up this year could have had an impact.  Not to mention, doesn't YAGP do a general top 24 and a general top 12, announced in no particular order?  For all you know she could have been 13th!
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #73 
Beautiful dancer! I'm so impressed by all that pointe at 12. My DD14 didn't start pointe until she was almost 12. Thanks for sharing the videos. All of this is always a learning experience. Congratulations on placement. I'm sure there would have been thrilled with her results (us included, lol!)

We were very happy with DD14s scores and happy to receive complementary feedback as well as specific corrections on her score sheets, and loved the experience and classes! It made me wish we had the resources and availability of the big city. DD was able to go to an audition while we were in town as well. I'm not sure if we will attend YAGP in the future, but if she does, we may focus on more specific prep in her variations, since she only received about 10 hours of coaching on her main variation. The other one was a hold over from last year and only got an hour or 2, and contemporary had about 8 hours of coaching. For us, the pros and cons of prep are real. Money and time are both major commodities in short supply for us!
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #74 
She cried all the way there? That breaks my heart! Stress? Makeup fights? Normal comp process (lol)? Other? You don't have to elaborate, but that could have potentially altered her performance experience and day as well. [frown]

DD14 and I usually argue about hair and I do it 6 times, and then I glue her eyes shut during lashes and she complains. I did a French twist for her contemporary and it was surprisingly super super easy! (Used Kathryn morgans YouTube video for directions) She did her own hair for classical! Score!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #75 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JojosDanceMom

FWIW, I think her solos look beautiful!  [smile]  And aging up this year could have had an impact.  Not to mention, doesn't YAGP do a general top 24 and a general top 12, announced in no particular order?  For all you know she could have been 13th!

Aww, well thank you so much for saying that [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.