Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsmith
Less than half the participants at YAGP from DD's ballet school enter a contemporary solo, while all do at least one classical variation.  I honestly don't know why anyone would bother competing at YAGP with only a contemporary solo, as there as so many competitions and conventions out there for other types of dance.

When I think of YAGP contemporary solos I think something very different than what I see at regular comp.  
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
I agree with Heidi.  We have a studio in our area that specializes in contemporary and they'll send a bunch of their dancers to YAGP only for contemporary.

GGsmith, for pre-competitive you also need a score of 95 to be invited to Nationals but again, it's up to the discretion of the judges.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Yes, the cutoff score for pre-competitive is the same, 95, but a pre-competitive dancer can be invited on the strength of their contemporary solo or a classical variation, whereas a junior or senior will only be invited if their classical variation scores well enough or merits a special judge's invitation.  It really is intended to be a ballet competition, with the contemporary added to feature "a different aspect of the participant’s skill and versatility as a dancer."
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsmith
Yes, the cutoff score for pre-competitive is the same, 95, but a pre-competitive dancer can be invited on the strength of their contemporary solo or a classical variation, whereas a junior or senior will only be invited if their classical variation scores well enough or merits a special judge's invitation.  It really is intended to be a ballet competition, with the contemporary added to feature "a different aspect of the participant’s skill and versatility as a dancer."

I don't disagree with you for the most part but from I've seen/know of YAGP ... much of the focus in the contemporary category is contemporary "ballet" not, as I mentioned above, what you'd see in a regular comp.  DD's ballet studio sends a bunch of contemporary numbers all choreographed by one of the teachers (who was a professional ballet dancer).  When she first started and I saw them for the first time I felt like I was looking at something I'd never seen at competition before.  Much more like the contemporary pieces I see when we go to performances by the Boston Ballet.  Contemporary is very much a part of the classical ballet world.  

That said, these days I know that more compy comp contemporary numbers are being entered at YAGP.. which in my opinion is a damn shame.  But that's a discussion for another thread perhaps.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

I don't disagree with you for the most part but from I've seen/know of YAGP ... much of the focus in the contemporary category is contemporary "ballet" not, as I mentioned above, what you'd see in a regular comp.  DD's ballet studio sends a bunch of contemporary numbers all choreographed by one of the teachers (who was a professional ballet dancer) and when she first started and I saw them for the first time I felt like I was looking at something I'd never seen on stage before.  Much more like the contemporary pieces I see when we go to performances by the Boston Ballet.  Contemporary is very much a part of the classical ballet world.  

That said, these days I know that more compy comp contemporary numbers are being entered at YAGP.. which in my opinion is a damn shame.  But that's a discussion for another thread perhaps.

YAGP has Sophia Lucia as thier FB profile picture currently. And I would say her contemporary solo is definitely more of a comp style...complete with one turning shoe.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom
YAGP has Sophia Lucia as thier FB profile picture currently. And I would say her contemporary solo is definitely more of a comp style...complete with one turning shoe.

Really?  Well, if it is true that the number she enters in YAGP is the same compy comp style (because I'm leaving room for the possibility that she has a different number for YAGP) and that YAGP is celebrating her participation....then that pretty much cements my decision not to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars for my dd to participate in that circus. What a shame.
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:

I don't disagree with you for the most part but from I've seen/know of YAGP ... much of the focus in the contemporary category is contemporary "ballet" not, as I mentioned above, what you'd see in a regular comp.  DD's ballet studio sends a bunch of contemporary numbers all choreographed by one of the teachers (who was a professional ballet dancer) and when she first started and I saw them for the first time I felt like I was looking at something I'd never seen on stage before.  Much more like the contemporary pieces I see when we go to performances by the Boston Ballet.  Contemporary is very much a part of the classical ballet world.  

Maybe this varies by region. We've been to three different regionals, all in CA. At all of them, there was very little of what I would consider contemporary ballet in the contemporary category. It was mostly straight up contemporary, the type that seems to be favored at Nuvo and 24Seven type competitions. Of course the good ballet technique was evident, but the dance style was not contemporary ballet for the most part. I definitely didn't see sassy jazz or musical theater type numbers though, except for one, and it totally stood out as not belonging.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktyyyyyyy
Maybe this varies by region. We've been to three different regionals, all in CA. At all of them, there was very little of what I would consider contemporary ballet in the contemporary category. It was mostly straight up contemporary, the type that seems to be favored at Nuvo and 24Seven type competitions. Of course the good ballet technique was evident, but the dance style was not contemporary ballet for the most part. I definitely didn't see sassy jazz or musical theater type numbers though, except for one, and it totally stood out as not belonging.

Interesting observation.   Could be.  Or could it be that it's somewhat dependent on who is entering?  Serious ballet school students vs more all around dancers who have now "found" YAGP?   Clearly YAGP is no longer the very serious ballet comp for serious ballet dancers that it once was.  Unfortunately (well, "I" find it unfortunate).
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Although YAGP "closes" their regionals at some point, my prediction is at some point, they will go the route of serious ballet competitions, where it is by invitation only.  You must send a video and be invited to almost all of the other large international ballet competitions.

This is what makes YAGP different - it's open to all.  And there are definitely some people who are not quite ready for YAGP, but it can be an eye opener for many to step up their training if they are serious about dancing professionally.  I think the caliber of the kids who qualify for New York is pretty high - not always true at regionals. 

And I also believe at any level but pre-comp, you must enter both contemporary and classical, as others have said, so unless the people competing have a good ballet backround they probably are not going to New York.  And SOME feel that it is just making the regionals longer and the quality less.  So we will see...On one hand, I hope they don't change it because it gives everyone a chance to compete.  On the other hand, it's a ballet competition, not a contemporary competition.
Leela

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #35 
I just read this interesting article and thought of this post. I didn't have anything to contribute to this thread as my dd is not old enough for YAGP, but was a comp dancer who left for a ballet studio.  I'm not sure if she will end up competing at YAGP in the future, but I know she has it in her mind as something she wants to do at the moment.  Her studio only brings a few soloist each year.  I did find your discussion very interesting so I thought I would share.

http://dancemagazine.com/views/competitions-the-pressure-to-go-acrobatic/
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #36 
I just posted that link, lol. Didn't see yours until now.

Here's a link to the Sophia Lucia solo I was referring to. She won contemporary junior category in San Francisco. She's clearly talented...but idk. I'll let you all make your own judgement about comp vs contemporary ballet. And just from the first page of YouTube, it does look like she has taken more than one contemporary solo to YAGP this year.

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #37 
That didn't look super compy to me.  A few things here and there pushed it a little but overall it didn't look like what "I" would actually consider inappropriate or even borderline inappropriate choreo for a ballet competition.  

She is truly a lovely dancer.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #38 
I really liked it, except for the only one turner thing. Just wear 2. We all know you're a spokesman for Capezio[wink]

I think the turns and flexibility are more of a comp thing. But I might be misinformed, as we haven't actually attended any real ballet schools.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom
I really liked it, except for the only one turner thing. Just wear 2. We all know you're a spokesman for Capezio[wink]

I didn't even notice!  Gotta go back and look now.

eta:  it's really really hard to make out on my computer.  I do believe you though.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #40 
She went to at least two regional competitions. . .

One of YAGP's objectives is to allow all students to be able to perform "in a professional environment." I don't see them requiring a video for entry, if nothing else it makes them a lot of money.  They can open up more regional competions to every major city and either raising the score needed to move to finals or adding another competition before finals, even at the same venue (and really, this would be the best idea, have a semi finals, a quarter finals or a judged master class and then finals in NYC).

Although there are more dancers entering the regional competitions I haven't gotten the idea that NYC has gotten larger.
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #41 
Where else besides San Diego did she go meatball77?
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #42 
I looked on youtube and I only saw her (FOUR!) variations from San Diego, I could have sworn she did multiple regional comps.  I wonder if I'm mixing her up with someone else.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #43 
At the Tampa regional I have seen straight up competition style jazz, acro, and musical theater type routines, especially in pre-competitive  in the past three years we've attended (first two as observers/supporters.)  Some even brought props.  I heard one of the local arts magnets (middle school) brings a hiphop group but we generally don't stay to see the groups (have to see the family while we are in town, and DD's school doesn't bring groups.)
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #44 
Gotcha! My daughter loves SL and when I mentioned multiple regionals she was trying to figure out which videos she missed. Thanks!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #45 
We've only done YAGP for 2 years and only pre-competitive so my experience is limited, so take this with a grain of salt.  I thought the contemporary was all over the map; there were a few boys who did more of a musical theatre - one young boy wore a flannel shirt and jeans and did like a hoedown kind of dance!  Then there were a couple dancers that did a classical variation and called it contemporary, then there were some ballet-focused contemporary, and then there were some of what you would call "competition" contemporary.  I found some of the numbers amazing, and some not very good at all, which went against the stereotype I had that everyone at YAGP would be amazing.  Maybe it's different for the junior and senior levels.  At Nationals however, I would definitely say that every single dancer that made it there was amazing and deserved to be there and it WAS a very serious ballet competition for serious ballet dancers.

As far as spending thousands and thousands of dollars though, I agree with you Heidi that if you make it to Nationals in NY it's really expensive, but just to do a regional it only costs $100 to enter each solo and then the master classes are free. (EDITED- just checked online and there is a $95 registration fee which includes the master classes; thanks for pointing out, CypressMom!)  Or did you mean all the thousands of dollars you spend on privates to prepare for YAGP?  If that's what you meant then I do definitely agree with that.  Although I have to say that the extra privates every week helped make DD a better dancer despite what happens at YAGP.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
That didn't look super compy to me.  A few things here and there pushed it a little but overall it didn't look like what "I" would actually consider inappropriate or even borderline inappropriate choreo for a ballet competition.  

She is truly a lovely dancer.

I agree. The layout seemed pretty compy to me and she could probably have done less turns. Definitely the kind of solo you would and do see at conventions. But looks to me to be an appropriate contemporary solo. Hate the turner and very surprised she got away with it (and that Master Ballet allowed her to wear it!).

Side note: DD is thinking of doing that leo for a solo next year in a different color [smile]
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
I looked on youtube and I only saw her (FOUR!) variations from San Diego, I could have sworn she did multiple regional comps.  I wonder if I'm mixing her up with someone else.

Maybe you are mixing up the fact that Master Ballet, and not Sophia, went to 5 or 6 regionals?
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #48 
Also, remember Sophia is really young.  She started as a rhythmic gymnast and she hasn't been concentrating on good ballet training for that long. She is progressing well from what I see and from what I hear from MBA.  Give her some time...
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
She went to at least two regional competitions. . .

One of YAGP's objectives is to allow all students to be able to perform "in a professional environment." I don't see them requiring a video for entry, if nothing else it makes them a lot of money.  They can open up more regional competions to every major city and either raising the score needed to move to finals or adding another competition before finals, even at the same venue (and really, this would be the best idea, have a semi finals, a quarter finals or a judged master class and then finals in NYC).

Although there are more dancers entering the regional competitions I haven't gotten the idea that NYC has gotten larger.

If they don't close it, then I'm sure they will do exactly what you said.  More regionals, etc.  That would really rake in the bucks!  I'm just saying YAGP is really the only ballet competition that doesn't require pre-qualification that I know of, and that's a good thing so more people get to participate.  But....if big ballet studios start getting shut out because the regionals are filling up, things will change, either how you described or they will close it.  Not disagreeing with you.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #50 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle

As far as spending thousands and thousands of dollars though, I agree with you Heidi that if you make it to Nationals in NY it's really expensive, but just to do a regional it only costs $100 to enter each solo and then the master classes are free.  Or did you mean all the thousands of dollars you spend on privates to prepare for YAGP?  If that's what you meant then I do definitely agree with that.  Although I have to say that the extra privates every week helped make DD a better dancer despite what happens at YAGP.

Oh yes.. I do know that it's not expensive to "enter" YAGP.  Or I should say no more expensive than regular comp.   I should have been more clear.   At dd's studio YAGP prep is extremely expensive.  Privates are $175 an hour.  Classical variations require a minimum of 5 privates for prep.  Contemporary solos require a minimum of 10 hrs.  A choreo fee is also charged for a contemp... about $750.  Classical costumes cost 100s of dollars... even if the girls just rent them from the artistic director's personal collection (my friend's dd was charged $200 per wearing for hers).  Then there's a $100 coaching fee for each day of comp.  So, as you can see, it's easy to spend $5K+ just w/one classical & one contemporary.  Before I was aware of the true costs were were entertaining 2 classicals & a contemporary.  But once I heard I was like... noooo waaaay.   I can get a much better bang for my buck, training wise, for all that money.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.