Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #76 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom
Beautiful dancer! I'm so impressed by all that pointe at 12. My DD14 didn't start pointe until she was almost 12. Thanks for sharing the videos. All of this is always a learning experience. Congratulations on placement. I'm sure there would have been thrilled with her results (us included, lol!) We were very happy with DD14s scores and happy to receive complementary feedback as well as specific corrections on her score sheets, and loved the experience and classes! It made me wish we had the resources and availability of the big city. DD was able to go to an audition while we were in town as well. I'm not sure if we will attend YAGP in the future, but if she does, we may focus on more specific prep in her variations, since she only received about 10 hours of coaching on her main variation. The other one was a hold over from last year and only got an hour or 2, and contemporary had about 8 hours of coaching. For us, the pros and cons of prep are real. Money and time are both major commodities in short supply for us!

Really glad to hear that you were please with DD14s scores and her feedback.  That feedback can be so helpful!  I understand the money issues also.  Time not so much, but definitely money.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #77 
She still did well!  I'm sure she is disappointed since she did so well last year, but things change every year and I bet there were a ton of dancers since YAGP opened a second location.  Kids have to learn how to handle disappointment in this "game".  I know she will be ok.  If she ages up next year, it will also be difficult, but as long as she does her best, is learning and progressing, it's all good.  No one wins all the time. Give her big hugs!!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #78 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom
She cried all the way there? That breaks my heart! Stress? Makeup fights? Normal comp process (lol)? Other? You don't have to elaborate, but that could have potentially altered her performance experience and day as well. [frown] DD14 and I usually argue about hair and I do it 6 times, and then I glue her eyes shut during lashes and she complains. I did a French twist for her contemporary and it was surprisingly super super easy! (Used Kathryn morgans YouTube video for directions) She did her own hair for classical! Score!

Sigh.  Yes, not bawling but silent crying.  She hated how she looked.  My friend put fake lips on her upper lip because she doesn't have one, and eyebrows.  In the mirror she was mortified but I tried to explain how different it looks on stage.  She has always been extremely independent and has been doing her own hair for dance and competitions since she was 9.  She makes her own lunches/dinners to bring to dance also.  She usually asks one of her older 3 sisters to do her makeup (Mom does nothing right, you know!).  She actually let me do her hair this time - I did french braids tied into a bun - and it lasted for both days.  I wish I could do a French twist!  I am impressed!  Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only mom going through this though!

Thank you very much for the kind comments as well.  Means alot.  [smile]
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #79 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
She still did well!  I'm sure she is disappointed since she did so well last year, but things change every year and I bet there were a ton of dancers since YAGP opened a second location.  Kids have to learn how to handle disappointment in this "game".  I know she will be ok.  If she ages up next year, it will also be difficult, but as long as she does her best, is learning and progressing, it's all good.  No one wins all the time. Give her big hugs!!

You're exactly right and I think it was probably good for her to have a reality check and realize she is not always going to win.  She's at a whole new level now being in this junior category. It's tough!
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #80 
She looked lovely. You should both be proud. Moving up levels is terribly difficult and she still did very well!

Ugh the makeup fight! Sadly the last time I was angry with my dd was over needing more stage makeup. I think it's funny that dance moms fight with their girls to about not wearing enough makeup. I think most most moms fight with their girls over not needing so much makeup! C'est la vie!
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #81 
Another one who had the make up fights with a fair-skinned kid!  When I did her make-up, she would be OK.  When she switched to doing her own make-up, I would see she needed more of something, so I would ask another mom to mention it to her!

Now, at 18, I don't worry about it.  She does a good job with lips and cheeks which is really where her very pale face needs definition.  Her eyes could use more most of the time, but not my fight anymore!

Years ago, one of her teammates never smiled when she danced and always got dinged for it (this is when they were minis, so it was all cute and smiley).  Nothing anyone said (DT, mom, friends, etc) could convinc her to smile on stage, so her mom threatened to draw a Joker type smile on her face with the bright red lipstick if she didn't remember to smile.  The kid still didn't smile, so mom drew on this hideous (up close) smile on her daughter's face.  It looked fine on stage, and actually did look like the dancer was smiling minus teeth!  After 2-3 times, the kid finally remembered to smile when dancing!  Still not a big smiler in real life, but she does on stage now!
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #82 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle

You're exactly right and I think it was probably good for her to have a reality check and realize she is not always going to win.  She's at a whole new level now being in this junior category. It's tough!

If she's already in the jr. category, then she did really well. I wasn't sure if she had to move up this year or if it would be next year.  There is a huge difference between just turning 12 and 14.  She should be very proud of herself!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #83 
Thank you so much, ballerinamom!
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #84 
Joriebelle - I just saw your video's! Beautiful! I loved watching her!!! Thank you for sharing. I can only hope my DD will look just as beautiful by that age. [smile]
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #85 
They downgraded her for make up?!!?
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #86 
By the way, I think she did well. I loved her variation!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #87 
Quote:
Originally Posted by judie
They downgraded her for make up?!!?

No, they just couldn't see her face so presentation was affected.  [frown]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: