Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 8      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next   »
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #51 
Thank you so much for the congratulations!

3rd place classical, irishdear?  The girl who got 3rd place in Chicago last weekend last year got 3rd place classical and 1st place contemporary?
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #52 
joriebelle, your DD is a beautiful dancer and I'm not surprised by her placements! Congrats to her! I'll keep my fingers crossed for a well-deserved NY invite!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #53 
Thank you, Emmymom!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdear
Joribelle,

I don't want to use the girl's name, but her initials are LA.  She received a third place tie at regionals Chicago, River Forest, last weekend.  I know that last year she was just shy of getting what you need to have to receive an invite, but was granted a special invite and went to New York.  We have not heard about this year.  Do they wait to give out the invites to New York?

I know exactly who you are talking about;  last year in Chicago LA got 3rd place classical and 1st place contemporary.  It's on the YAGP website.   It's hard to keep things anonymous when you can look them up.  But you're not saying anything I didn't know already.  😉    There are alot of great dancers from your studio; not just great at dancing but nice as people too.  

A friend of mine has a daughter who dances at your studio too.  Such a small world!

As to the invites to NY, I was told we could be waiting up to 2 weeks to find out.   
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #55 
Are you at the Chicago or Naperville location, irishdear?  Is there a difference?
judie

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmie46
We were there too. My DD scored in the top 12 Contemporary. We weren’t expecting to place so super excited!!

Congrats!
Emmie46

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Originally Posted by judie

Congrats!

Thank you Judie
BalletMom62567

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #58 
Not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but for those who competed at YAGP this year and ordered videos on site, how long was the turn around? Not a pressing issue, obviously, but just curious! Eager to get DD’s videos!
enpointe

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #59 
Good question!  I ordered videos on January 31st.  We still have not received them.  Not sure what the holdup is-- they are just downloads, not actual DVDs now!
BalletMom62567

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #60 
Quote:
Originally Posted by enpointe
Good question!  I ordered videos on January 31st.  We still have not received them.  Not sure what the holdup is-- they are just downloads, not actual DVDs now!

When we ordered them after nationals last year, it was less than two weeks. But I guess since at that point VAM has a break they can turn them around quicker.
Emmie46

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #61 
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdear
Joribelle,

I don't want to use the girl's name, but her initials are LA.  She received a third place tie at regionals Chicago, River Forest, last weekend.  I know that last year she was just shy of getting what you need to have to receive an invite, but was granted a special invite and went to New York.  We have not heard about this year.  Do they wait to give out the invites to New York?

The invites went out just last weekend. One of our ensembles has been invited to the NY finals.
BalletMom62567

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #62 
Just got my answer! Ordered videos 2/3 and just got them today.
enpointe

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #63 
Lucky you! I ordered 4 days before you and still haven't received ours.
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #64 
Joriebelle,

Have you heard whether your dd was invited yet?

They didn't really give a timeline for hearing at our regionals. Curious what to expect.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #65 
Nope, I don't think she will be, gymanddance.  She needed an average of 95 and got a 94.75.  I'm just disappointed for her because the score is so so close.  Three judges gave her the scores she needed and it was just one judge that scored lower so it is disappointing.    But, keeping it positive, I will save the money and she's already decided the variations she wants to do for next year.

meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #66 
It's sounding like no one is qualifying through regional comps though unless you get first place, that scores are lower this year and they're inviting everyone after. . . . Even more political than usual.  Yay!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #67 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
It's sounding like no one is qualifying through regional comps though unless you get first place, that scores are lower this year and they're inviting everyone after. . . . Even more political than usual.  Yay!

I know it's only one example but at the Worcester regional I know the senior soloist who placed 3rd & she is going to Finals based on score.  That said, I watched the entire senior classical division & while she is lovely (lovely girl, lovely dancer w/much potential who I believe will find success if she so chooses), I don't honestly understand how she ended up 3rd.  Unless her super willowly frame & ideal facility gave her more of an edge than I would've imagined was even possible.  

tiptoemom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #68 
Going to NY is not about placing. It's about your score and then possibly getting a special invite if your score did not qualify.  I have not idea about how you earn the special invite if you don't qualify.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #69 
I know two dancers that got second place in Seattle that didn't make it to finals.  I hear that the same thing happened in Vegas (and Vegas was HUGE and filled with dancers from powerhouse studios), and other regional comps.
tiptoemom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #70 
Interesting @meatball77. Maybe they have to tighten up the scores because they have so many more regional now? Otherwise it would be so many dancers in NY?
ballerinamom13

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #71 
My experience (granted, some time ago) is there are not that many "special" invites after the age of 11 or 12.  Especially, since the regionals have gotten huge numbers and they have added so many more cities, I'm guessing they don't need to add special invites to fill up Finals or maybe they are waiting until later this year to see who is going to NY based on score before they send out invites??

I also noticed what seems to be fewer Hope Awards and Grand Prix awards, but that is just from looking at a few results, not a scientific study.  
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #72 
Another random thought. I have never been to SUNY Purchase, so I have no clue and this is just a random thought. Could they be looking to invite fewer dancers this year in general because of the facility change?
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #73 
That would make sense also.  There may be less room at the new location.
pirouettemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #74 
I think most of those who get special invites to finals are dancers whose teachers are friends with the YAGP founders. They also may be waiting to see if there’s extra space at the end, as not everyone who is invited to finals decides to participate.
Emmie46

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #75 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
Another random thought. I have never been to SUNY Purchase, so I have no clue and this is just a random thought. Could they be looking to invite fewer dancers this year in general because of the facility change?
My daughter went to AAB’s summer intensive last year which is held at Purchase College. There are four stages which hold different amounts of seats. The largest holds about 1300 people. The facilities are very nice. The city is quite a distance away. We took a Lyft for about $50. The Gala is still being held at Lincoln Center.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.