Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 6 of 8     «   Prev   3   4   5   6   7   8   Next
pirouettemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #126 
There seemed to be judges from all kinds of backgrounds - not primarily vaganova. Like Stephanie Saland and Kelly Boal were in NYCB.
Ecourtney

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #127 
I agree that there is a big Russian influence as many judges are either Russian or from Vaganova schools, but as YAGP has grown, the need for more judges has changed that. There are many ABT affiliated judges and Kathryn Morgan (NYCB) judged a number of locations. They clearly like the Russian body type. My DD got attention from the founder despite only making the top 24 (and got 2 offers, one for Bolshoi SI scholarship and an interest for yr round training). She has the stereotypical ballet body and great lines. The attention was for potential and guidance -she recommended it was time for her to pursue year-round training.
I would want my DD’s scores after investing all the time and money into the process. I understand why a SO doesn’t want to the kids talking about their scores as there is usually enough drama/competition between them. And I would imagine they want to be the main source of feedback and guidance.
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #128 
I think that the only score that's really meaningful is 95-That tells you that the judges see you as having the talent to compete on a national scale.

And ecourtney, your story is very common in YAGP.  Larissa, kind of chooses and fosters talent--go with it! She's a great person to have on your side and she will open doors for you.  But you must get good training. 

Ecourtney

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #129 
I’m wondering if there is going to be a round of invitations to NY after this last Regional is over. Maybe they were conservative with giving 95’s out of fear of going over capacity. Maybe the scores like 94.75 are kind of like a SI waiting list- Let us get through the audition process and see how many, if any, spots we have left.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #130 
It will be interesting to see if that happens. I've been curious whether they've gone purposely smaller for finals as it seems. 
pirouettemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #131 
Maybe they're trying to make it more exclusive.  They don't really need 100s of dancers for finals.  And honestly it's not super thoughtful if they were to invite everyone last minute.  It's not like last-minute flights to NY are cheap.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #132 
That happened to us 2 years ago. . . DD was invited 3 weeks before Finals.
pirouettemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #133 
I don’t think it’s very considerate of them - last minute travel especially to NY can be pricey. I don’t know if they can accommodate less dancers at their new location? I’ve never been there before and DH is from NYC and barely even knew where Purchase is located and when I asked if he’s been there before he replied “uhh ... no ... why would I go there” lol
pirouettemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #134 
Just wondering - we all know YAGP’s preferred body type - but what about the judges like Kathryn Morgan who I would think from her personal struggles could be more accepting of a wonderful dancer who doesn’t meet the Russian ideal.
Larissa isn’t at every location to oversee and change the scoresheets ...
Lorax

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #135 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirouettemom
Just wondering - we all know YAGP’s preferred body type - but what about the judges like Kathryn Morgan who I would think from her personal struggles could be more accepting of a wonderful dancer who doesn’t meet the Russian ideal. Larissa isn’t at every location to oversee and change the scoresheets ...

However, those who are paid by her to judge, and paid well know her tastes and would be wise to toe the line.
pirouettemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #136 
Not everyone who places (even top 3) have the physique to her tastes. I think the YAGP focus on body type is a little exaggerated as I personally know some dancers who placed like 1st and 2nd this year who truly do not fit the Russian standard, but are exceptional in other ways.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #137 
Quote:
Not everyone who places (even top 3) have the physique to her tastes. I think the YAGP focus on body type is a little exaggerated as I personally know some dancers who placed like 1st and 2nd this year who truly do not fit the Russian standard, but are exceptional in other ways.

But did they advance to Finals?
pirouettemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #138 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

But did they advance to Finals?

Yes, I think 2 or 3 of them got invites to final.
1 of them got the Hope award ...
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #139 
Well, pre-comp is a different animal. . . . . .
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #140 

I know a dancer who is going to Finals who doesn't completely fit the mold... longer torso, no legs for days, decent but not amazing turnout.  She placed 1st in senior at our semi-finals but I suspect she didn't get the requisite 95 that would've been an automatic in.  And I say that because the studio owner celebrated the 1st place on social media w/in hours & then followed up w/additional celebratory posts w/photos over the next 24-48 hrs w/no mention of qualifying for ny.  That didn't come until about a wk later in an important "announcement".

It'd be interesting to go to Finals & actually see the final pool as that'd really be the only way to tell how exaggerated the stated preference really is or isn't.  I'm betting there are people who can comment on that from firsthand experience though.  

heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #141 
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball77
Well, pre-comp is a different animal. . . . . .

Is pirouettemom talking about pre-competitive dancers?
pirouettemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #142 
Only the hope award was precomp for the dancers I mentioned. 1 is junior and 1 senior.
This year they weren’t giving invites right away to finals on the scoresheet, even with 95+ scores. So while they could assume they made it finals, people were waiting until they got the official email from YAGP which seemed to take about a week or so.
People are sounding really skeptical about this .:.. some dancers did get finals invites, as rare as it seems this year. And not all are perfect Russian ballet body types (even non precomps)
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #143 
Quote:
Only the hope award was precomp for the dancers I mentioned. 1 is junior and 1 senior. This year they weren’t giving invites right away to finals on the scoresheet, even with 95+ scores. So while they could assume they made it finals, people were waiting until they got the official email from YAGP which seemed to take about a week or so. People are sounding really skeptical about this .:.. some dancers did get finals invites, as rare as it seems this year. And not all are perfect Russian ballet body types (even non precomps)

Fwiw an average score of 95 is an automatic in so you don't have to wait for an official email.  Only if you didn't get that 95 do you "need" that official email to know you're in. (i.e. the same SO I referenced above publicly celebrated some dancers going to finals immediately after a previous semi-final).

And just to clarify my position, skeptical doesn't describe me.  Just find it interesting, that's all 😉

eta:  I also think it stands to reason that there always going to be exceptions to every rule so even if not 100% of those who advance are the stereotypical body type, if most are, stating that it seems to be a distinct preference remains accurate imo.
pirouettemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #144 
I am aware of the 95 score. And I also know dancers who got that score but were still waiting for the official email from YAGP before telling everyone they were going to finals. If you find this not believable, that’s fine - but some dancers who did receive the necessary score were anxiously waiting for that official email nonetheless, I think someone even posted on BTFD about it,
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #145 
Quote:
I am aware of the 95 score. And I also know dancers who got that score but were still waiting for the official email from YAGP before telling everyone they were going to finals. If you find this not believable, that’s fine - but some dancers who did receive the necessary score were anxiously waiting for that official email nonetheless, I think someone even posted on BTFD about it,

???

I never said anything that would suggest I didn't believe that "some" dancers might, or dancers "you" know did decide to wait to announce the news.  I think maybe you missed my point there.

And fwiw...it appears as if you are reading something into people's words that aren't there.  I think I can speak for everyone when I say that this is just an innocent discussion.... not some kind of "I'm right, you're wrong" back & forth.
Ecourtney

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #146 
What do you all know about getting invited to do the NY workshop classes even if you aren’t invited to compete. I’ve heard this can happen but don’t know of anyone personally.
Emmie46

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #147 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecourtney
What do you all know about getting invited to do the NY workshop classes even if you aren’t invited to compete. I’ve heard this can happen but don’t know of anyone personally.

I know two dancers who went last year to take the classes but did not compete.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #148 
I've known several dancers invited to the "intensive,"  some of whom did attend. They call it an intensive but it's not actually intense as far as I've seen. In previous years, we heard about those invitations very close in timing to the actual regional competition. I have not personally heard about anyone getting that invitation this year but it is possible that no one has mentioned it. 
pirouettemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #149 
I don’t think it would be worth the money to go unless you live nearby.
classydance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #150 

I think that YAGP is very keen to dancers who have high levelers of followers and their choices will often reflect that. ("The next big thing.")  You will see the comp "insta" star cross over to YAGP and be featured  for a few years in galas or finals. I think that Kathryn Morgan is a "draw" for YAGP.  She is kind, popular, and approachable and dance parents and kids like her. So YAGP is going to seize on that. 

And I think it's a good thing that YAGP is not getting over subscribed in terms of the #s they are asking to finals.  When DD did NY Finals there were about 130 girls in junior.  If they keep that same #, then they have 9 international comps, 26 regionals.  They can only bring about 4 dancers per age category to NYC finals.  

So, yes 94.75 is simply a waiting list the the score means that they put you in a pile of dancers who could  come space permitting.  They probably erased one of the scores to get that lower average--the scores mean very, very little. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.