Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Noel, I was surprised at how much was available in the area once I started looking.  Google is very helpful!  There are places I never knew existed and places I'd never consider for regular classes (too far, light on ballet, focused on competitions, etc) that bring in great teachers for workshops, masterclasses or intensives.  I visit websites and facebook pages for different schools.  A studio right down the street offers masterclasses from dancers passing through with Broadway shows.  Every other month they host a class open to the public.  DD has taken class with a professional Broadway show dancer on a Saturday morning, then gone to see them on stage that evening.  Its possible you live in a true cultural desert, or dance desert, but there may be wonderful experiences hiding in your area or just a short drive away.

I hope you'll come back and keep us updated on your daughter's dance journey!

Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Thank you, Dave9988. That gives me a lot to carry forward as we navigate this environment. It sounds like your daughter's experience has been really wonderful !
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
[wink] dmjrm4 <3
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
ggsmith, thank you. I will definitely update (particularly if it's something I think others will find useful or helpful). I am a bit of an internet bloodhound, sniffing out as much as I can. And I do feel good that the studio we are in will continue to offer up some opportunities I cannot even imagine right now.
udamom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #30 
It depends on the teacher. We are able to bring songs in that our kids like for solos and the teacher can choose from there, but ultimately, it is up to the teacher doing the choreography. They have to be inspired to choreograph for the songs chosen.

We just left the choreography and skills to the dance teacher. The dance teacher knows the skills your child has the best and if the choreography fits certain skills, then so be it.
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Noel, have you or your dd ever attended a convention, or a dance competition? If not, you might want to start there before you consider going the independent route. Dance competitions are free to go and watch.

Since you are so new at your ballet studio, I think I might want to see if they would register her to go to a convention without competing first. Let her see what a convention is like, and the experience of learning from other teachers is always good IMO. Maybe stay and watch the competition. After that, ease into the conversation (with your studio) of having your DD compete a solo.

I don't know your situation, and if I'm wrong, I apologize. You did say you were a total newbie.

Please keep us posted.
Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #32 
crafty1, thank you. No need to apologize. I think I will be in the newbie category for at the least this entire first year ! Everything is helpful.

She's been to one convention, but it had no audition and no attached competition. She has an idea, but very limited.

It's really been kind of wonderful. At her new studio the teachers have been very supportive and responsive and she's learning to overcome some shyness and advocate and ask for things (like attending an extra class for next month and the when/ how/ why of starting pointe, etc.). So it will be interesting to see how her teachers address her interest in a convention.

She will not be auditioning for Nutcracker this year, very much on purpose. This is a year to absorb and take in the environment... we will watch and observe and maybe consider it next year. So.... that leaves all fall open for convention attendance if she'd like to. Lots to look forward to.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.