Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
BCdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Don't you just love paying $100 + for a costume you and your dancer can't stand? How often has this happened in your studio? Our studio owner has amazing taste and I love 95% of what she chooses but there has been the odd one that makes me cringe! When you are getting 10 or more costumes a year, there is bound to be something hideous I suppose. Lol.

How about share a photo of one you think is awful.
dancing4ever

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Oh man, there's DEFINITELY been some that we've hated!

One of DD's hip hop costumes consisted of baggy cargo pants (way too baggy for my skinny DD) and some strange blue muscle shirt. DD hated it with a burning passion. DD ended up quitting hip hop a few years later, so she doesn't have to worry about the ugly hip hop costumes anymore!

There, however, have been some beautiful costumes (as well as what I've seen so far for this year) in the past, so I guess it balances out.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #3 
We were lucky to only have one hideous costume for DS over the 17 years he danced.  That year the costumes for that entire group were horrible and hated by everyone.
JulieDB

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I don't have pics of just the costumes so I won't post as daughter won't want me posting her pic here. But she had two tap costumes that were not so good. One would have been okay perhaps had the song been different. They did a tap dance to Boogie Shoes so I think the costume should have had a 70's vibe to it. There was a boy in the class and his costume was fine. Orange shirt, black pants. But the girls wore orange dresses with black polka dots and hats that were more suited to the 40's. Worse still, they had just upgraded to the jazz style shoes. This led a dad to comment that they should have renamed it, "Orthopedic Shoes".

The other costume was also for tap. White with red polka dots. My daughter's costume actually fit fine as did an older girl's. But the other kids in the class were either skinny scrawny or for whatever reason, the costumes were just too large at the top. Their straps would not stay up and they had the complaint that some plastic pieces were cutting into their flesh at the collarbone. 

The seamstress looked at the costumes and decided that the easiest fix was just to cross the straps in the back. That way at least they wouldn't fall down. But... My daughter and the other girl could not cross their straps because it would have make them too tight. So at recital, people were talking and saying that some of the girls had their costumes on wrong because the straps didn't match.
LilMama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I once paid over $200 for a jazz costume that consisted of bright pink tutu with silver sequins if it make anyone feel better lol
BCdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
My daughter had one jazz costume that was tweedle dum. Little hat with the propeller on top and all!! Omg. It was humiliating for them!

This year we had a close call, teacher had picked out this dreadful silver and orange mess for their hip hop. Parents and dancers all hated it. My daughter and I decided to earmark a few other in the costume book with a sticky note suggesting those instead and low and behold teacher chose one of our choices!! That never happens. Lol.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I have disliked every hip hop costume, but the worst had jeans (with a distressed wash treatment that made them stink) that were literally 5 inches too big in the waist and 5 inches too short in length for dd. It looked silly and of course it had a muscle shirt and flannel around the waist as well as the prerequiste beanie (that they only wore once all year because they couldn't take out their buns due to quick changes - so yeah - funky ballet buns). [frown]
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
There is always one "boo-boo costume" each year. This year my younger daughter's competition jazz costume takes the prize. It's banana yellow and awful. My poor kiddo is a pale Finn and is going to look completely washed out in that costume. Yuck. 
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Here's one DD hated from a couple of years ago; she said it looks like it was made from living room drapes LOL

Home_02.jpg 

Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Haven't had one we HATED yet. DD is heading into her third season competing. There have been several that we have been happy were for other groups (our studio but not her group) though... We had a close call with one of our groups this year but it ended up changing.
Last year the girls all disliked a specific group number but we actually got a lot of compliments on the costuming for that one... They felt it was too weird, and it was pretty out there, but it fit with the concept of the dance and at the competitions where the judges "got" it, it did well. Icustom made them and they fit well, the design was good, the fabric and concept was just a bit off the wall. [wink]
JulieDB

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
My daughter had one that reminded me of the pink/peach/orange one above. Not exactly the same style, but similar colors and fabrics and it was confusing in that I think it just had too many pieces. Of course she had a quick change when she needed to put it on and it wasn't put on right. A strap was twisted or something. The entire design of the thing made no sense to me at all. Shorts, with a top piece and another top piece over that plus weird things sewn on that I did not quite get. And the girls were annoyed because part of the costume was a cute little non-functional purse. I can see why it was that way. They were young enough that at least some of them would have been opening and closing it when they should have been doing other things. And because they had to repeatedly set it down and do things with it so it likely needed to be weighted in a certain way.
Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
We have never really had a hideous one but it does sting to pay $180 for a costume and end up receiving about $40 worth of crap from Forever 21.  One year my daughter's costume actually fell apart backstage before dancing in it for the first time.  Luckily, every girl wore something different so we were able to replace the leggings.  At my cost of course.

threedancingdaughters

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #13 
We haven't had any really bad ones so far, but DD is only 8. So mostly sparkly cutesy fluffy skirt costumes. I've seen a few others at the studio that have been "meh, not my favorite", but not any really truly hideous ones so far! DDs biggest complaint was her tap costume last year that was super itchy. I'm sure if she's sticks with dance she'll end up hating one at some point! ?
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julieg
We have never really had a hideous one but it does sting to pay $180 for a costume and end up receiving about $40 worth of crap from Forever 21.  One year my daughter's costume actually fell apart backstage before dancing in it for the first time.  Luckily, every girl wore something different so we were able to replace the leggings.  At my cost of course.

Amen! When I find the label to write DDs name on it and the label is one of Target's brands, grrrrrr..
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
I have disliked every hip hop costume, but the worst had jeans (with a distressed wash treatment that made them stink) that were literally 5 inches too big in the waist and 5 inches too short in length for dd. I looked silly and of course it had a muscle shirt and flannel around the waist as well as the prerequiste beanie (that they only wore once all year because they couldn't take out their buns due to quick changes - so yeah - funky ballet buns). [frown]

Agreed! The hip hop jeans and flannel is lazy and overdone. We have also done the hip hop in buns. Nothing is fiercer than a bunch of skinny girls in ballet buns LOL
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
DD's lyrical solo is to Butterfly by Mariah Carey.

This was originally picked out.
https://www.costumegallery.net/products/16248/rainbows-in-the-sky/

I had to say no!! It's just too much!

Instead, I paid for a more appropriate costume, and it's huge!

So, she's wearing her costume from the 2013-2014 season.
BCdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
so this one was pretty disapointing for my girl... her first recital and she was expecting a frilly, lacy or sequined tutu type costume, and this is what she got. I am surprised she even went back to dance after this. LOL 10299084_10154057873290315_6297023715997720997_n (2).jpg 
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Whoa BCdancemom.  That is BAD!

DanceForFun

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Oh yes, we have had a few. lol  My older daughter had a ballet one years ago that we nicknamed "moldy pumpkin". It was burnt orange with a brown overlay. To be fair, it looked much nicer in the picture we saw than the finalized version. COlors were off. THey were dancing to "Autumn" so it would have been nice if colors hadn't turned out so hideous. By the time we received them (late) it was too late to do anything.  Oh well, we still have a good chuckle over that one. [smile]

I have liked most of the costumes but there is usually a dud here and there. This year my younger DD has a contemporary costume that is a unitard with a snakeskin pattern down one side. We have developed a euphenism for costumes we don't lake.  We'll look at each other and say "Well, that's unfortunate". lol
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
This is probably the most hideous costume dd has ever had. She was 6. It was for recital and she was supposed to be a munchkin from The Wizzard of Oz. DD's teacher made the costumes herself.

Jerseyboymom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
This thread is hilarious! Thank you to those of you who posted pics, lol. [smile] DS has had a few, not too many disasters. One year in lyrical, the girls' costumes were supposed to be a shimmery silvery color, and when they came in, they were a dull, lifeless gray. They looked like rags and the girls hated them.

DS will wear almost anything. He dressed as SpongeBob one year for a tap production, in full yellow skintight bodysuit, brown shorts, knee socks. He loved it. But he hates anything that is very cheap-looking, or clearly for a girl -- too obviously feminine. One year he had a hip-hop costume with a sleeveless, racerback tank top in a burnout fabric with rouched sides. It was so clearly a girl's top, and it looked silly. He hated it. Luckily one of our team seamstresses modified it, taking out the rouching and fitting it differently, and it ended up being passable.

dad_of_four

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Our Studio takes costume deposits in October, but then by picture day,
when the costumes are fully finished, we get an accounting of costs.
So we only pay the total cost of all of our costumes.
I'm pretty sure the final cost is the all-in cost.
Ordering, tailoring, shipping, etc.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
DD's studio did It's a Hard Knock Life from Annie and she was Annie.  The costumes were this blue pantaloon type thing.  All the girls were in tears and saying they looked likes Smurfs (couldn't disagree).  They were used to beautiful, girly costumes.  DD was additionally disappointed because being cast as Annie, she was given the same thing to wear except for a red, curly wig.  The 1st wig was so awful her DT had us buy a new on after the 1st comp.  She said it looked like "down there" hair excepts she used the real word.  I was never so happy to shell out another $20.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: