Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone else watching?

Loved Nick Daniels the other night. I've seen him at comps. Thought his performance was better than the other Stars dancer last week.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I am watching recorded versions...so I don't watch an entire show in one sitting.  The kid hip hop group from this week knocked me out.  I also really liked the 16 year old/20 something year old duo.
dmjrm4

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Loving it.  The only TV show we watch currently.  Until SYTYCD starts!
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I am enjoying it.  So far it seems like it is really about the dancing and less of a popularity contest like SYTYCD.
Noel

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
We are loving it. Only critique is that is is just too short ! The hour flies by.

I have developed one opinion so far. The judging allows 80 and above to progress. It seems that they could move that up to 90. I think that would be a more efficient and exciting judging process.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer
Anyone else watching?

Loved Nick Daniels the other night. I've seen him at comps. Thought his performance was better than the other Stars dancer last week.

Caught up on it last night. Wish there was more dance and less fluff. But I like that it shows lots of different genres, ages, number of dancers, etc.. I don't know who NeYo is, but he seems over his head a little.

Nick was definitely a stand out. Who else was from Stars?
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzit42
Caught up on it last night. Wish there was more dance and less fluff. But I like that it shows lots of different genres, ages, number of dancers, etc.. I don't know who NeYo is, but he seems over his head a little. Nick was definitely a stand out. Who else was from Stars?

Diana Pombo   I think that's her name. She was the TDA Mini Outstanding Dancer last year.
burghmom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Nick's dance on World of Dance was absolutely incredible!!!
Dancerfun

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I agree Nick was amazing to watch!!! And I loved the two younger girls, Diana and Eva. But the performances did leave me feeling that tricks are definitely the direction dance is going (minus Ballet). It seems that to really stand out or be recognized you must have a crazy flexible back and able to do a myriad of tricks. I loved watching the tricks as much as anyone else! They are impressive. But a tad discouraging as many kids will never be able to be gymnasts, no matter how hard they work.
Noel

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Agree 100 % Dancerfun... it saddens me to see parents paying through the nose for private lessons, acro "intensives", etc. because a SO/ choreographer places high value on tricks like aerials, and now back handsprings too. At old 'studio' if those families spent half as much of that time on technique, turns, leaps, strengthening their dancers would benefit so much. But starting at the top, that is not valued.

I'm going to be blunt. In my honest opinion you can usually tell within moments of watching a kid whether or not they are ever going to get that trick. It's just that obvious, particularly once they've reached a certain age (about 9). After that, quite literally, spinal cord reflexes come firmly in to play and simply throwing yourself through the air with no hands goes against your instincts. These kids throw attempt after attempt, bailing and protecting themselves, flirting with massive injury all for what? An aerial? It's just a crying shame. It's a shame that everyone involved promotes it; a shame that the SO fosters this environment; a shame that no one can see the price to pay for learning tricks. Not everyone can or should be able to do both acro and dance and I would hate to see the tide turn in a direction that only awards dancers with acro tricks.

I give my opinion only to those who ask, but it just sickens me to see teachers / coaches taking money hand over fist from parents and students who it's obvious will never get those skills.

Mark my words, in the All Star dance world there is a shift occurring and just as cheerleading morphed from cheers and dance with a few jumps to level 10 gymnast style tumbling and stunts so will go All Star hip hop, pom, and to a certain extent jazz. Particularly pom will start incorporating more and more partner stunts, back hand springs, and soon tumbling passes. And it's a shame because some phenomenal dancers will never truly know just how amazing they are as they will be relegated to supporting back roles behind the stunt and tumblers.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
My understanding is that classical ballet and its competitions are "trick" free, please correct me if I am wrong.

But I am going to take an opposing position here.  I think tricks have a place in competition dance. I will argue that it is inspiring to watch a dancer with gorgeous technique and amazing tricks when they complement each other and flow into a cohesive dance. Eva on World of Dance gave a great performance showcasing both skill sets in an impressive way.  If tricks are pushed ahead of technique, then that is a reason for complaint, but if tricks are in addition to great technique, the ability to also perform an athletic feat can enhance the dance and set the dancer apart form other dancers with great technique. 

Some dancers will not be able to achieve perfect dance technique. Some dancers will not be able to perform a beautiful front aerial or controlled suicide.  The competition dancers who can do it all are reasonably considered the strongest in my opinion. You can watch her whole dance, but see the video at about 36-46 seconds for a great example.

tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 

I agree that this dancer is fabulous! So powerful, flexible with amazing control! There's also a sense of passion.

However, it looked to me like trick, trick, trick with short dance interludes that led into each trick. Yes, they flowed very nicely (well choreographed), but I definitely felt that the dance was much more about highlighting the tricks than the actual dancing. Note that I feel that way about many comp dances and I absolutely think this was the right way to go to impress a panel of producer's assistants and then producers and finally, a celebrity panel. Hope we get to see her some more as the season goes on.  

I just watched part of the first episode last night. I am glad they are breaking it out into divisions until the end. I was thinking that individuals will be crushed by some of these groups. 

Noel

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
tendumom your critique is nearly identical to my DDs. When you see, over and over, choreography shaped to fit the highlighting of tricks rather than shaped to naturally flow from beginning to end, it's disheartening. (this from the parent of a child who can do all of those tricks, so this is not an opinion born out of sour grapes)
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I agree with tendumom. This performance was designed to highlight tricks, but the choreography was a good choice for the setting she was in, and she did it beautifully. And I agree with Noel, you only need a few tricks in a given dance to demonstrate the ability.

Here is another one of her dances on the competition circuit that has more dance.  Definitely impressive work.   
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 

Still very trick heavy, IMHO. Maybe a tiny bit more dancing. Definitely well suited to her. Makes me curious to see her do something else after seeing 2 solos that could have easily been in one piece of work stylistically speaking.  I did a quick search. She's a Studio Larkin dancer, a studio well known for producing strong dancers. Though all that I found was very similar, albeit with different music and different costumes. She was this strong and flexible at age 11. 

These types of dances are always impressive and she does them justice and then some. I suspect that this is all we will see from her on this show because it is what she excels at. It's too bad because I love to see what dancers can do outside of their normal boxes, ala the old SYTYCD format sans all-stars. 

tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I think Eva is incredibly talented and has beautiful technique.  She could do without the tricks and still be breathtaking.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
She could do without the tricks and still be breathtaking.

So true!  And I think, for me, seeing all these somewhat similar trick laden dances makes me want to see her dance without them all the more.... but that probably wouldn't be great TV for the general public. 
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
My dd is no comparison, but it was interesting that the comp she was too hurt to do any major tricks at (and she is quite good at them) was the comp she scored the best at this year for her solo. Learning she didn't have to rely on her tricks was a good lesson for her.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
I agree. The soloists have been tricksters. The way they can move is unbelievable. But they all left me wanting for more. More connection, more storytelling. I am a dance fan because of how it moves me. I have yet to be moved by a round off back handspring. But I have been near tears watching DD and her team do a few arm movements in a ballet group dance.

This isnt sour grapes. My DD18 is six foot tall. Her studio started a serious, certified acro program three years ago. Too late for my kid. Some kids from our studio are great at acro but they tell a story along the way. And they aren't allowed to compete with it unless they can do it with proper technique. Unfortunately, I see alot of bad/dangerous acro at comps. Im not sure safety is a concern at all.

I get why the comp world and dance studios are pushing this. One word, money. Acro takes a whole different skill set and alot of time. I can only hope that it doesnt take the focus off technique and connections.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
I had seen a partial clip of Eva's solo on Instagram posted by 'carmodance' I think it shows way better on there. Her musicality and the little hits in the choreo were more obvious. I think the camera work didn't showcase it as well in world of dance and only focused on the tricks.
I think she's amazing, but on the show wasn't as good, nervous maybe? She wasn't as steady and messed up on the back walk over part.
She's so far my favourite dancer on the show and I can't wait to see her more [smile]
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel2228
I had seen a partial clip of Eva's solo on Instagram posted by 'carmodance' I think it shows way better on there. Her musicality and the little hits in the choreo were more obvious. I think the camera work didn't showcase it as well in world of dance and only focused on the tricks.
I think she's amazing, but on the show wasn't as good, nervous maybe? She wasn't as steady and messed up on the back walk over part.
She's so far my favourite dancer on the show and I can't wait to see her more [smile]

I agree with you. I thought she was great on the show, but not nearly as good as normal. She seemed very nervous.
BallerinaPaisley06

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I thought Eva was a beautiful dancer, I too get kind of annoyed by all the tricks - I just want to see the dancing. Guess that's why I love ballet so much, it's super athletic, but no major tricks and all controlled. 

It's kind of what annoyed me about Tate McRae on SYTYCD from last season.  She's a beautiful dancer, but the annoying leg extension she seemed to have in every dance drove me crazy.  And, also not speaking from sour grapes either, my daughter is super super flexible and can do the tricks.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

So true!  And I think, for me, seeing all these somewhat similar trick laden dances makes me want to see her dance without them all the more.... but that probably wouldn't be great TV for the general public. 

I agree with this, tendumom. I also think she needs to work on her feet.  Her releve is not great - her feet could be much better.  (Sorry all - I see feet first...) At least she doesn't roll her toes and points correctly - she just needs to do a lot of theraband work.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Kinda neat for us, my dd competed a few years ago against Taylor Hatala, one of the girls in the hip hop hop duet that 'battled' Eva's solo.
There were only 8-10 duets in the category and they get their critiques and adjudication onstage after. Dd was super nervous they would be completely in a different league. But dd and her partner held their own [smile]
Dd has also taken classes with Tate McRae, yay! Go Alberta! She definitely didn't favour her extensions in class. Very well rounded. But I guess that's what gets the views and draws the people in to watch.
Mitzy

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Before my daughter switched to a ballet school she constantly favoured one side for extensions - often, it was what was choreographed.

I really liked this week's episode. I did find Eva very musical and artistic. I know one of Taylor's relatives, and I am aware of the dedication that has gone into getting her where she is. However, the choice between Eva and the duo was pretty clear.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: