Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #26 
I got a response to my email asking when the schedule was coming out: "DURING TODAY ON THE WEBSITE!!"  But I still don't see it on the website, just the general begins at 8:30 am and ends at 8:30 pm.

rmarti, I hope you have better luck than us LOL
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti123

I know that there were a few dancers from DD studio last year that made the WBAC finals in Niagra Falls. And (if I’m remembering right), finals were around three weeks after the regional in Toronto.

My DD 12 has been invited to her very first boy/girl party on Friday the 27th. If she doesn’t start until 2:00 on Saturday the 28th she could go. I’m going to have a very cranky 12 year old if a schedule doesn’t come out until Friday morning. [frown]

Aww! That IS a tough one! I'd like to think that they'll have something earlier than that Friday morning.
Do any of the dancer's from your DD's studio remember when they received a schedule for last year's competition? I might have been thinking of the 2015 competition.
rmarti123

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115

Aww! That IS a tough one! I'd like to think that they'll have something earlier than that Friday morning.
Do any of the dancer's from your DD's studio remember when they received a schedule for last year's competition? I might have been thinking of the 2015 competition.

It looks like it was posted early this morning on Facebook for Indiana. Hopefully, since Toronto is a two day event, it will be posted a tiny bit earlier. [smile]
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
I just saw the schedule.  Wow.  Not too many people signed up, I gather. . . 

8:00 AM – 9:45 AM Registration

9:00 AM -­‐ 9:55 AM Open Stage for Participant

10:00 AM – 12:30 PM Start Competition

12:45 PM -­‐ 2:45 PM Master Class/Rehearsal

3:00 PM -­‐ 4:30 PM Award Ceremony

Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
I just saw the schedule.  Wow.  Not too many people signed up, I gather. . . 

8:00 AM – 9:45 AM Registration

9:00 AM -­‐ 9:55 AM Open Stage for Participant

10:00 AM – 12:30 PM Start Competition

12:45 PM -­‐ 2:45 PM Master Class/Rehearsal

3:00 PM -­‐ 4:30 PM Award Ceremony

If you check the pics on FB every location looks to have a small number of participants.

I'm sure your DD will be wonderful, too!

I originally signed DD up for Indianapolis, but our SO said TO was the location. I thought that was kind of dumb because the studio is also doing the TO YAGP location. Of course, as mentioned earlier, the rest of the studio - minus three of us - decided not to do WBAC. Now that we're stuck with TO, DD misses out on using her ASH scholarship for the Detroit location, which is the same weekend. Grrr.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115
If you check the pics on FB every location looks to have a small number of participants. I'm sure your DD will be wonderful, too! I originally signed DD up for Indianapolis, but our SO said TO was the location. I thought that was kind of dumb because the studio is also doing the TO YAGP location. Of course, as mentioned earlier, the rest of the studio - minus three of us - decided not to do WBAC. Now that we're stuck with TO, DD misses out on using her ASH scholarship for the Detroit location, which is the same weekend. Grrr.

That stinks that your DD misses out on using her ASH scholarship.  And I would have loved to have met you!!!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Well, we're heading out to Indianapolis a little later this morning.  I'll let you know my impressions when we're back on Monday!
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Well, we're heading out to Indianapolis a little later this morning.  I'll let you know my impressions when we're back on Monday!

I hope it is a wonderful experience for you and your DD.

I can't wait to hear your impressions.
rmarti123

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Best of luck to your DD in Indianapolis!
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:

Good luck and have fun!
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Good luck to your dd Joriebelle! We did the competition last year and had mixed feelings at the end. 
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymanddance
Good luck to your dd Joriebelle! We did the competition last year and had mixed feelings at the end. 

I'd love to hear your feelings. Please PM me if you prefer not to post for all to see.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Joribelle - I see they've posted results and pics on FB. How did it go? I can't wait to hear about your experience and opinions.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #39 
The competition was small, but they ran everything on time.  It was run well.  The awards ceremony was nice; the dancers had a rehearsal where they learned a little dance that they presented during awards.  Each dancer was given a flower.  What I DIDN'T like?  We didn't know the line-up until we got there and it was posted on the wall.  They spelled my daughter's name wrong on her certificate.  There was one main dance studio that attended and that studio did seem to be well-liked.  That is everywhere though so it's not unexpected.  Oh, and the "master class/rehearsal" for 2 hours was not a master class at all but the entire two hours were for preparing the group dance they did during awards.  But those were little things.  It was good practice for YAGP.  We'll probably do it again.

DD did well and was invited to the National finals next month in Niagara Falls so my husband will be taking her.  

Gymanddance, I would love to hear about your experiences.  If you don't want to post them publicly you can PM me instead.  [smile]
rmarti123

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymanddance

I’m also interested in your thoughts since we are attending the Toronto location at the end of the month [smile]
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #41 
Phx and rmarti, how was WBAC Toronto?!  Did you two see each other?  Hope it was a good experience for both of your daughters.  This weekend is finals in Niagara Falls.  My husband is driving out there with her as I'm not able to get away for the weekend.  
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #42 
My friend's daughter was in Toronto and placed 2nd in classical and 3rd in Contemporary for group A! 
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #43 
DD was in Group A and got a "Potential" award, which was what they awarded to almost every dancer that didn't place (1st through 5th) in Group A. She WAS invited to Nationals, too. There were 12 dancers total in group A. Group B had 19 dancers total, Group C had eight, and Group D had four. Pretty much all of the dancers did at least one classical and one contemporary, and most in Groups B, C, and D did more than one classical solo in addition to their contemporary solos.

Many that I spoke to did not like the competition because I think they were comparing it to YAGP. Sure, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but I like that they let each dancer that got some sort of award do a brief solo onstage as they accepted it. The master class, which I had already suspected, was just a rehearsal for the final awards ... very much like what they do at pageants. Nationals looks like it will have two one-hour master classes, though.

Overall, I liked it. I think it is a great option to test out YAGP pieces, and great for anyone that has never competed in a ballet comp.

Nevertheless, I'm NOT taking DD to Nationals this weekend. Her invite, IMO, was clearly for money - not based on ability. DD just doesn't have the technique to compete at these things. She is emphatic that she wants to go to YAGP in Toronto - her last year in the precomp level - but how do I tell her she just isn't ready, and may never be ready? She wasn't the worst up there, and several parents commented to me that they thought her contemporary piece should have placed (should have, could have ... what's the difference, really?), but she doesn't have several things that seem to be helpful at these types of competitions. LOL![frown]

Still, we all had a great time and I'd take her back if I ever feel she is ready. 

Oh, and I did meet rmarti123. We chatted for quite some time, and her daughter is a great dancer and - as my daughter noted - a nice person, too. Great family.

ETA: I did not like that there were no comments on the score sheets, just a score. Not helpful in the slightest.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #44 
I'm happy to hear your experience was positive.  That's the most important thing!  I like the competition too although I think it still has some kinks to be worked out.  I don't like it that you don't receive a specific schedule until you get there and see it taped to the wall.  That is a minor complaint though.  I also liked that if you got an award you got to do a little solo before everyone first.  The competition just had a very positive vibe to it that I really liked.

So nice that you got to meet rmarti!  
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #45 
My husband and DD13 are in Niagara Falls.  Husband said that he waited in line for an hour and 10 minutes to check in.  So they're starting the competition over an hour late.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #46 
Joriebelle - Ugh! That's not good! Hopefully everything else will run smoothly!

Best wishes to your daughter!
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #47 
Thanks so much!  She's done with classical and now is contemporary; she goes on in a few minutes.  My husband said there are alot of international dancers there.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #48 

Quote:
 how do I tell her she just isn't ready, and may never be ready?

That line made my heart drop. 

Did she get out on the stage and perform to the best of her ability at this time? Was her performance at least adequate? 

If so she's ready. If being able to win equates to being ready, then I would recommend not competing at all. Period. If the only reason to do these things is to win or place or receive recognition, I don't think it's worth it at all. In fact, I don't think dancing is worth it if the purpose of dancing is to win competitions. 

Note my bias, that this is coming from the mom of a kid who never once competed a solo (they were not commonplace at the mega sized studio she attended before moving to a ballet school) and never did a ballet competition.  I certainly followed the ballet comps to a degree as it was something some of her friends elsewhere did and it was certainly something she was interested in doing for a period of time. She then lost interest. Why? Because she ended up too busy training, trying to get to the next step in the journey. 

DD had several reasons she wanted to compete in ballet. The first was that she saw the improvements in the dancer from her ballet school who was chosen to do YAGP (yes, just one dancer was selected to compete that first year, 2 the next, 3 the following and then dd left). Those improvements did not come from competing. They came from the extra attention the dancer was getting both in her private coaching sessions and in class. Dd wanted that. She also wanted the opportunity to really dissect a variation. Last, she felt there was something special about taking the stage by herself. The competition part was secondary. I truly feel she had the right attitude about all of that and was willing to support her competing, but for various reasons, that never happened.  It has not affected her in the long term. She has "competed" successfully on the audition circuit to obtain a position in a company where all that mattered was how she danced (both in her videos and in person).  No one has ever asked her about YAGP or any other competition. There's not even room for that on her resume at this point. 

I strongly do not believe you can tell your dd that she will never be ready unless you have some magical crystal ball. Sometimes I think I am constantly saying the same things and this is one of those times. [smile] I have the benefit of hindsight. I saw those amazing young dancers at YAGP. I saw the very talented kids at SIs, at SI auditions, and in dd's own ballet schools. I also know where there are now at 18 and up. You cannot guess who and will not be dancing ballet professionally at the end from these things. You just can't. I can list many former amazing students who left this journey for other things. Of course, some of those that stood out at a younger age are still dancing too. But so are some of those who didn't straighten their knees or struggled to get over their pointe shoes. DD was actually told, not exactly in those words, but pretty close, that she was not good enough to compete at YAGP.. and that was a regional. 

If I recall, you have a dance background. I wonder if you do what I did all those years? I also have a dance background and as such, I could so easily see every little thing dd did wrong. I saw every foot that was full pointed. I saw when she did not fully extend her legs. I saw those danged bent elbows. I have the photos and videos to prove it. I couldn't help but see those things. What I had to do was teach myself to step back and see what others saw, her strong stage presence, her absolute joy when she performed and the little improvements she made along the way. Each year, those feet were pointed just a bit more, her legs were a bit straighter and then one year, her arms suddenly looked right. I had to fight the tears the year she stepped out on stage as a lead. I just did it again in October when I saw her first professional performances. I was glad it was dark! 

So, my advice is to just enjoy the process. If you can afford this and she wants to do it and is putting in the work, not fighting going to classes, asking for more, then there's no reason to discourage her. Kids have dreams. A parent once asked me how could I not allow dd to pursue her dreams? Funny in hindsight! I made sure she understood how difficult the life of an artist is, especially in dance where you are always competing for your position, and I also made sure that we kept as many other doors open as possible for as long as possible. I think that understanding has actually helped her now that she is living that dream. 

gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #49 
Joribelle how did finals go?
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #50 
She got 3rd place for contemporary and a potential award for classical.  She said the lights were too bright and distracted her during classical.  I told her everyone had to deal with the same lights LOL.  I'm still very proud of her!  Thanks for asking.  [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.