Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Phx115

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 752
Reply with quote  #1 
Is anyone else's dancer participating in this competition, or has participated in it?

She's doing the Toronto location, which is two days. Most of the others are one day, which I would have preferred.

It is DD's first year doing this one. Since she has an April birthday she'll be in the youngest group (ages 8-10). I'm told it is much smaller than YAGP and a bit more laid back. I didn't find YAGP to be particularly stressful, but when you go in with no expectations ... 
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,369
Reply with quote  #2 
DD13 is doing this one for the first time in October, the Indianapolis regional.  Good luck to your daughter!
0
rmarti123

Avatar / Picture

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 184
Reply with quote  #3 
Our studio is attending as an optional. I believe there were 6-7 dancers that attended last year and I’m thinking about the same this year. It will be my DD first year attending WBAC since she started last September at this studio.

Our SO seemed to like the experience last year.
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,369
Reply with quote  #4 
Phx, you'll have to let us know how it went and what you thought of the comp!
0
Phx115

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 752
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
Phx, you'll have to let us know how it went and what you thought of the comp!


Sure will. Definitely not expecting any awards. Her solos are still kind of a mess with just a few weeks to go. However, I'm still looking forward to something new.

I'll definitely give you the scoop on how it is run, the numbers, etc. 
0
tappinmom

Avatar / Picture

Double Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 13,350
Reply with quote  #6 
phx115 - Hope you enjoy Toronto.  What is the venue?
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,369
Reply with quote  #7 
phx115, when did you get the schedule for competition?

0
Phx115

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 752
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
phx115, when did you get the schedule for competition?



I don't have a schedule yet. In fact, I think I need to submit the info for her solos. LOL!

It is interesting. Several from our studio were scheduled to attend. Now, it is just my daughter and another dancer. The others chose the ADC IBC comp in Florida. The SO won't let my daughter do that one. Another story for another day.
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,369
Reply with quote  #9 
Ah!  I think I misunderstood your original message.  When you said your DD was doing the Toronto location which was 2 days, I thought you meant it  was IN two days.  

Oh do tell the story about why your DD isn't allowed to do that comp!  That doesn't sound right?

The Toronto location is October 28th so we will actually be going before you because Indianapolis comp is the 14th.
0
rmarti123

Avatar / Picture

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 184
Reply with quote  #10 
Joriebelle have you received the schedule for this weekend? We are doing the Toronto location the end of October and wondering how far in advance the schedules are released.
0
Phx115

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 752
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
Ah!  I think I misunderstood your original message.  When you said your DD was doing the Toronto location which was 2 days, I thought you meant it  was IN two days.  

Oh do tell the story about why your DD isn't allowed to do that comp!  That doesn't sound right?

The Toronto location is October 28th so we will actually be going before you because Indianapolis comp is the 14th.


Merde for this weekend! I can't wait to hear how it goes. We have a male and a female soloist competing there and they are doing a pas de deux as well. The female soloist is in Group B and has always placed at YAGP and WBAC.

The story: The SO and AD feel it is too overwhelming for younger dancers, and only older dancers should attend. Of course, our studio's phenom (same female as mentioned above) attended in the youngest age group there last year and THAT wasn't a problem. I'm sure of one thing: If the studio was going to make money off DD going, she'd probably be allowed to go. Personally, I love the concept (and the fact that we could leave Michigan for Florida in dreary March) b/c they are judged not only on performance but also what they do in ballet and contemporary class. Let's face it, there are always a few that have rehearsed a piece to death, but in class aren't always quite as amazing. Yes, I'm a little bitter b/c DD really wanted to do it.  Even my husband and son, who could basically care less about these things, were looking forward to it.
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,369
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti123
Joriebelle have you received the schedule for this weekend? We are doing the Toronto location the end of October and wondering how far in advance the schedules are released.


Nope, we haven't received the schedule for this weekend yet!  I'm a little irritated we haven't gotten it yet but hopefully it will come out soon.  I will keep you posted!
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,369
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115


Merde for this weekend! I can't wait to hear how it goes. We have a male and a female soloist competing there and they are doing a pas de deux as well. The female soloist is in Group B and has always placed at YAGP and WBAC.

The story: The SO and AD feel it is too overwhelming for younger dancers, and only older dancers should attend. Of course, our studio's phenom (same female as mentioned above) attended in the youngest age group there last year and THAT wasn't a problem. I'm sure of one thing: If the studio was going to make money off DD going, she'd probably be allowed to go. Personally, I love the concept (and the fact that we could leave Michigan for Florida in dreary March) b/c they are judged not only on performance but also what they do in ballet and contemporary class. Let's face it, there are always a few that have rehearsed a piece to death, but in class aren't always quite as amazing. Yes, I'm a little bitter b/c DD (and the rest of the fam b/c it is in FL) wanted her to do that one.


Well thank you!  DD13 is also in Group B.  Pretty cool coincidence.  [smile]  I did not know they are judged also by what they do in ballet and contemporary class.  Good to know, Phx115!
0
Phx115

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 752
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle


Well thank you!  DD13 is also in Group B.  Pretty cool coincidence.  [smile]  I did not know they are judged also by what they do in ballet and contemporary class.  Good to know, Phx115!


I was afraid what I wrote is confusing. The judging (rounds) that occurs in class is for the ADC IBC in Florida.
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,369
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115


I was afraid what I wrote is confusing. The judging (rounds) that occurs in class is for the ADC IBC in Florida.


Ahh. . . !  Okay.  Got it now.  [smile]
0
rmarti123

Avatar / Picture

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 184
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle


Nope, we haven't received the schedule for this weekend yet!  I'm a little irritated we haven't gotten it yet but hopefully it will come out soon.  I will keep you posted!


Thanks!! I appreciate it. Here’s hoping the schedule comes out for you soon. Best of luck to your DD this weekend.
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,369
Reply with quote  #17 
Still no schedule!  I can't believe this.
0
Phx115

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 752
Reply with quote  #18 
Wow! Isn't the Indianapolis regional one day? You'd think it would be pretty easy to put a one-day schedule together.

0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,369
Reply with quote  #19 
Yes, just one day. . . I don't get it.  There's nothing on the FB page for WBAC either.
0
slattshe

High Bronze Member
Registered:
Posts: 40
Reply with quote  #20 
I have a few friends that did WBAC in Calgary a couple weekends ago and from what I understand,  they didn't get a schedule until the day of competition.  They knew what day their dancers would be on and then showed up to register at a certain time in the morning and were given a time then. 
I have never heard of a competition like this but they didn't blink an eye at it. 
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,369
Reply with quote  #21 
I'm not really happy about this. . . almost 3 pm and still no schedule.  
0
rmarti123

Avatar / Picture

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 184
Reply with quote  #22 
Joriebelle I feel for you. I’m wishing we had passed on WBAC Toronto. Hopefully it will show up soon.
0
Phx115

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 752
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti123
Joriebelle I feel for you. I’m wishing we had passed on WBAC Toronto. Hopefully it will show up soon.


marti123 - We are feeling the exact same way!! Alas, no refunds - even for injury. I envy the one-day locations - less travel costs, just the one day, more personal, etc. Clearly TO is going to be much larger. Not only because it's scheduled for two days but because of its close proximity to the Niagara Falls Nationals.

If I'm not mistaken, because it was still growing, last year the TO semi-final and Nationals were on the same weekend.
0
rmarti123

Avatar / Picture

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 184
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx115


marti123 - We are feeling the exact same way!! Alas, no refunds - even for injury. I envy the one-day locations - less travel costs, just the one day, more personal, etc. Clearly TO is going to be much larger. Not only because it's scheduled for two days but because of its close proximity to the Niagara Falls Nationals.

If I'm not mistaken, because it was still growing, last year the TO semi-final and Nationals were on the same weekend.


I know that there were a few dancers from DD studio last year that made the WBAC finals in Niagra Falls. And (if I’m remembering right), finals were around three weeks after the regional in Toronto.

My DD 12 has been invited to her very first boy/girl party on Friday the 27th. If she doesn’t start until 2:00 on Saturday the 28th she could go. I’m going to have a very cranky 12 year old if a schedule doesn’t come out until Friday morning. [frown]
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,369
Reply with quote  #25 
I got a response to my email asking when the schedule was coming out: "DURING TODAY ON THE WEBSITE!!"  But I still don't see it on the website, just the general begins at 8:30 am and ends at 8:30 pm.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.