Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
BsDanceMom10

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Are there any mom's out there who work full time (like 8-5 job out of the home) and have figured out how to manage training schedules for your child? I currently work in the school system so I am done with the official work day at 3:45 and have the time to take her to her classes but I have been toying with the idea of going to work in another setting where my hours would be more like 8-5 Monday thru Friday. I just can't figure out how I would make her schedule work as she gets more classes added to her dance schedule.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 

Most of the ballet moms I know worked full time. Hard to afford all those pointe shoes on one income in some regions of the world!

It really depends on what time classes start. 

At one school dd attended, the advanced students started at 3pm each day. Students came from several school districts. Some were able to arrange early release, often getting gym credit for ballet, others did an on-line class each semester so they could leave early and some actually got out of school in time to get there. There was a great deal of carpooling by local families as well. Others hired an older high school or college student to drop the dancer off.   At that school, the younger and less advanced students actually started later, allowing for parents to get their kids to dance after work. 

rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Some of our studio classes start as early as 3:30. You can bet if you don'the work, you have many other parents approach you to get their kid to class. Most studio moms don't mind. One mom did have to change her work arrangements to take her DD, though. I kicked her from my carpool for repeatedly trash talking other team members and her mom trash talking the studio. So, if you have to rely on others, remember to thank them, stay positive and encourage DD to follow studio rules while in the car. There are typically enough people happy to help out.
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My girls are at the studio 6 days a week and I rely on my dance mom village along my husband's some what flexible schedule. 
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Carpool. And a teacher picks them up once a week. 
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I'm a teacher so I'm usually out by 3:45 but on the days I'm not due to meetings, dh brings her if he's home (he's a firefighter and has a rotating schedule) or I ask the mom who lives near me if she can bring her.  One of the reasons I turned down a job at another school was that it would add 20-30 minutes to my commute and I didn't want to worry about getting to dance on time.
dancergirl123

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
IT's a challenge for sure! definitely have used the dance village but I have found (most helpful) is to use a senior girl on the team who has a car (preferably). They usually can't take on another type of job because of their own dance schedule so they love that they can work, get paid and it won't interfere with their own dance classes. My studio director is also great at recommending resposible girls too.. she's known them most of their lives!
heikedog

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
A retired grandmother picks up her granddaughter and DD at school every day while I'm still at work, and then I pick up both girls after dance and drop the granddaughter on my way home. It takes a village.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Yes. For all 16 years. Dad picked up from school most of the time because he went to work and got off work early. Sometimes car pool but not for long bc no one from her school went to the ballet school she attended. Sometimes a neighbor or a friend took her from school to dance. For a few weeks , we had to hire a car service. She did on line school her last two years. It's a lot of work and a lot of juggling and preparing, but can definitely be done.
camercad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 

Both my husband and I are fortunate enough to have work/careers with flexibility on work start and end times.
So, my husband works from 6:30-3 (earliest classes start at 4). He takes care of school pick-ups, afterschool activity drop-offs, and after-school activity pick-ups before 6.
I work the more traditional hours from 9-5:30 (although I leave the house between 7 and 8). I take care of the school morning drop-offs and after-school activity pick-ups that are after 6 pm.
Neither of our 2 kids are in the same activities, so there is alot of running around. It requires the whole family to be organized and flexible.
I think I am more excited than my daughter about when she'll get her driver's license.

dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Most families I know that have work conflicts use child care providers that provide transportation to after school activities, usually a nanny or au pair. My college son had a summer job transporting two kids to various lessons and camps.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Our first studio started some classes at 3:30 and I was lucky to have my parents to drive those days or a dance mom friend.

Second studio never started group classes before 5:45 so I had just enough time to drive the 30 minutes home from work and pick DS up and get him to the studio on time.  Solos started earlier so when he had one he got a ride with the SO on those days since she was his DT as well.
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
I started working full time in August after working part time for 10 years while my kids were younger.  (child care costs - couldn't justify it)

Because DH works from about 7 a.m. or so until 6-8 p.m., and I work 9-5, we looked at options to get our kids where they needed to go.

I have Tuesdays and Saturdays off and transport the kids those days.

On Mondays and Fridays, DD15 takes a local commuter bus the 3.5 miles to the dance studio.  It costs $4 per trip and picks her up at our house and drops her off at the studio.  I have to call at 7 a.m. on Wednesdays and Thursdays to schedule her ride.  If the schedule is already full, either DH or I have to leave work early to take her.  I have learned to be dialing that phone at 6:59 a.m.!!  Taking public transportation (a safer and easier form of it, true) has been a great life lesson for DD15.

On Wednesdays, DD13 is picked up after school by my coworker, who gets off work at 2:30.  The school is on her way home as is the gymnastics center.  I do pay her because she has to go out of her way to do this for us, and also because she has to fight the traffic in the middle school pickup lot.  Yuck.  Summer gymnastics practices will be at stupid hours, and since very few of this team's gymnasts live near us, I am considering trying to get the bus for gymmie DD as well.  She will be 14 by then.

I looked at care.com and other sites for transportation options, but they were very costly.  So we got creative.
HTownDanceMom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Yep! Guilty!  DD is at the studio 4 days out of the week, mostly starting at 6pm which gives me enough time to get home to pick her up and get her to dance.  Of course this means that I leave meals for her to eat when she gets home from school because it leaves little time to pickup food and it also requires her to be responsible for getting her dance bag and snacks ready.  It's definitely doable, but it does get a little bit hectic.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
We used to pay someone to watch the kids at our house a few days after school.  That job has transitioned ... there's less watching, and more shuttling kids from school to dance.  On other days my wife or I will "do the run-around" drive thing and either return to work or work from home for the remainder of the day.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.