Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
ballerinamom13

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #1 
Post on Facebook from Pointe Magazine yesterday - a very good article on why to study with someone other than your teacher(s) and attending different SI's instead of going to the same comfortable places.  Plus, DD is in it![smile]

http://www.pointemagazine.com/summer-of-style-2412924873.html?utm_campaign=RebelMouse&socialux=facebook&share_id=3195734&utm_medium=social&utm_content=Pointe&utm_source=facebook
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 

Yay! 

And if you scroll down on that page, there's an article on SI rejection that may be helpful as well, but no pics of people "we know" in that one. 😉

LittlePointeBird

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Very cool! And what a great pic.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Gorgeous photo of your DD!  Neat article too.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Nice!
ballerinamom13

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #6 
Thank you!  I have copies of the original magazine from last year, but a friend from this board tagged me on FB or I would have never even seen it.   I feel this article really does address the advantages of getting out there and seeing the "whole picture" so to speak. 

Kids pushing themselves out of their comfort zone only makes them a little more ready to handle the harshness of the professional ballet world later, if that's the goal.  Styles might be similar, but believe me, no two AD's are alike, so experiencing different teachers, teaching styles and different styles of dance just prepare them and give them a little better advantage.  No one "has" to go to a summer intensive, but the learning experiences from attending as many different classes as they can are invaluable.  Just this mom's opinion...........
LittlePointeBird

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
  No one "has" to go to a summer intensive, but the learning experiences from attending as many different classes as they can are invaluable.  Just this mom's opinion...........

This mom's too. I know some of it my own tendency to be a free agent, but I've valued the opportunities SIs have given my DD to meet new teachers, learn new styles and simply get used to taking direction and corrections from someone who doesn't know her personality or her quirks.

Every year, by about early May (maybe even late April) I can see her getting complacent with her teachers. They know her too well and she them. I think they're battle weary by then. lol

Then there were the lessons learned beyond dance technique like having to step out of her comfort zone and meet folks b/c she's always gone in not knowing anyone. It's nurtured her into an independent person who is more confident in new situations. More confident than if she'd never had that experience, for sure.  She's still not the outgoing, walk up and introduce herself type.  But she'll engage once someone gets the ball rolling. [smile]
hopefuldancer17

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Beautiful photo 😉
tiptoemom

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
really gorgeous photo! 
emmymom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
ballerinamom13, I think you already know how I feel about your DD, but just in case you have forgotten...Her feet, her hands, her posture, her extension, all just so breathtaking in this pic! Truly lovely!
ballerinamom13

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #11 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmymom
ballerinamom13, I think you already know how I feel about your DD, but just in case you have forgotten...Her feet, her hands, her posture, her extension, all just so breathtaking in this pic! Truly lovely!

emmymom - thank you so much and no, I haven't forgotten how kind you are and never will!  And you know how much I love your dd too!  She is amazing!  Can't wait to see what's next!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.