Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Why???????????  This is so ridiculous.  There's still a sticker on the bottom of one of her shoes.  Just stop trying to make ballet "cool" by using "celebrities" that cannot do ballet. Please.  Maybe I'm being silly, but it's insulting to all of the dancers who work their *** off to actually have correct technique.  Is it meant to be cute?  I don't get it.

http://video.vanityfair.com/watch/secret-talent-theatre-elle-fanning-teaches-you-how-to-make-a-ballet-turn
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
She has had some preprofessional training. I remember when she reached out to dd's old school. I tried to search to see where she trained and couldn't find it. Articles do mention that she wanted to be a ballet dancer but realized she wasn't good enough. One also mentioned she took class 5 days a week in high school.

I am sure this was more publicity for the recent animated Ballerina movie. Maddie Ziegler's voice is also used in that movie. Not sure it got released in the US. Was supposed to be out around Christmas. Never saw it anywhere.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Well, if that's true, she should at least be able to hit first position correctly...
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tinydancer
She at least has actually had lessons and still goes to class.

She's a huge improvement to the Jenner (cannot remember which one) catastrophe....
LilMama

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
She has had some preprofessional training. I remember when she reached out to dd's old school. I tried to search to see where she trained and couldn't find it. Articles do mention that she wanted to be a ballet dancer but realized she wasn't good enough. One also mentioned she took class 5 days a week in high school.

I am sure this was more publicity for the recent animated Ballerina movie. Maddie Ziegler's voice is also used in that movie. Not sure it got released in the US. Was supposed to be out around Christmas. Never saw it anywhere.

DD told me it's coming soon in Canada.
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13

She's a huge improvement to the Jenner (cannot remember which one) catastrophe....

YES!!!!!

I think for someone who probably can't take classes consistently because of the type of work they do but does want to learn ballet, she's making an effort. Will she ever be a ballerina? No. Will she ever have perfect technique? Probably not. Do I give her props for still pursuing ballet? Yep.
enpointe

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Yikes!  That was not good at all! I'm embarrassed for her.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I think it's great that people take ballet. I don't understand the point of the publicity. I'm not bashing her personally as much as wondering why magazines are doing this? I guess they are pretty smart, because here we are talking about it. 😊
lovemykids

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I think it's just a segment to showcase celebrities in a different light, with a fun tone, and this girl just happened to have taken a couple ballet classes, so that's what she chose to do. It's funny precisely because she is not great at it. If you look to the right there's other links where you have Amy Adams throwing a ball, Dakota Fanning naming all the presidents, or Emma Stone on a pogo stick. It seems to me a just for fun segment with celebrities having a little laugh at themselves as well, and you can even tell for her reactions at the end. So I think it has nothing to do with ballet per se, just the "hidden talents" of the stars
rmarti123

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
http://www.dancespirit.com/news/vanity-fair-stop-bizarre-ballet-tutorials/

I just saw this on Facebook [wink]
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti123
http://www.dancespirit.com/news/vanity-fair-stop-bizarre-ballet-tutorials/ I just saw this on Facebook [wink]

YES!!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.