Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
QueenMauw

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I am wondering if to add garment bags to our Grit dance bag this year. My youngest is now competing too so I have 2 needing the bag. This bag easily hangs costumes without garment bags, but if you have costumes with certain types of sequins, they can snag others since they are all hanging right beside. We don't have all of our costumes yet for this season so I don't know if this is a worry. I also figured I could grab the bags in 2 different colours so I could easily just grab out the ones for one kid, and the ones for another and hang then on each side of the rack. And then when we have our local comps, I could just take the right coloured garment bags with costume rather than dragging the entire huge costume bag along. 

I found some that apparently fit well in the Grit and have pockets for shoes and accessories so they also work well for if you have performances where you aren't there all day and just need to haul one or 2 costumes. 

But, it'a big investment as we aren't in the USA so exchange and such makes it pricey and I'd hate to order a dozen and realize I don't need the darn things. Price is better if I order more and shipping doesn't change much so ordering a couple now and deciding later may just cost me more.

If you use garment bags, let me know if they are useful!
cram

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
HI, I think that you have already answered your own question. Lol. It is much easier to organize costumes for two dancers using garment bags. Especially since your younger dancer will get more numbers as she gets older. Not to mention when there are two dancers dressing from one bag it is very easy for an accessory to go missing. The bags help keep everything for each costume in one place. We have approx. 24 numbers between my two girls and I actually have to group two to three costumes per garment bags to ensure they all fit. My friend packs every costume after each dance with accessories but I'm a little more relaxed and have them throw (especially during quick changes) everything inside the bag and before leaving we check that everything is there. They are an investment but I still have all off mine since I bought them 8 years ago, they are just not as pretty as before:-)
MimisMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I use garment bags for each individual costume. This way all shoes and accessories are together with it. So much more helpful to just pull out the bag out of the suitcase and hang up side by side in order.
QueenMauw

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks everyone! I think I just needed someone to push me over the edge. I know my husband is going to complain about the price but of course he isn't the one dealing with any of the costumes or getting the girls ready!
LeapYear0208

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I have 1 bag per costume. I tried 2 costumes per bag in a pinch last weekend and it was frustrating. I use the mini/short bags with pockets.
Dancenl

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I just had these come the other day and their really nice. They aren't plastic so they don't make noise and u can get all different colors and sizes. Best part is how cheap they are. I got 10 for less then $30. U can get quick shipping for $5 I think. Hope that link works below.

Thicken Non-woven Clothes dust cover Moisture Proof Organization Storage Bag dust bags Clothes Protector Case
http://s.aliexpress.com/uiANzMN3?fromSns=Copy to clipboard
(from AliExpress Android)
joceyg99

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We did our first multi-dance comp this year and I also purchased the Grit Dance Tower.  And since it was the first year and there are SO many expenses of initially stocking the bag, I too didn't want to plunge into an $80 garment bag purchase.  I ended up purchasing these bags that allowed me to hang onto each costume hanger the associated tights, headpieces and other costume accessories for each costume:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072WXJ5HH/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

On each of these bags, I placed a reusable adhesive label where I wrote down on each bag what I needed for each costume (which shoes, tights, hairstyles).  I placed all the shoes in the nets inside the Grit bag.  So when we got to comp, I set up the rack, and removed the six hangers with the attached hanging pocket bags (you could separate each child's costumes on left and right side)...and you'll have everything together and organized without the expensive garment bags with pockets.

I think if you got some cheap garment bags (I was excited about the link placed above, but I think those are too wide for the Grit) for the delicate costumes it would be fine.  I've even see them at dollar tree.  I actually did place one very lint-collecting costume in a costume bag from last year's recital, but had no need to place the other 5 in a garment bag.

Maybe another year I'll splurge on the fancier garment bags, but I had spent so much for the Grit bag and EVERYTHING to put in the bag this was sort of a make-shift cheaper way to have "pockets" to organize with each costume.

It also occurred to me when packing that if something spilled it could be disastrous, so I placed spill-able items (hair gel, eye makeup remover, etc)  in Ziploc bags just in case!

Mamala

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #8 
I love using the garment bags. They are not a necessity, but they make organizing things a lot easier. I got the ones with the extra pockets to put the shoes, head piece, accessories etc. that go with each costume. I also like having them protected so they dont snag, like you said, or get dirty if something opens up in the bag (like makeup).
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
This is my debate right now. I bought a small Dream Duffel last summer and it will get used for the first time in 2 weeks for dress rehearsal and then our dance company showcase so I'm going back and forth as to whether I want to use any garment bags in it. Last year I used the Large and X-Large ziplocks that have the handles on them and they worked well in the suitcase I used and I will use them again this year in the DD. This year though DD's solo costume has an almost ankle length tulle skirt (DD's 58" tall, mostly legs) with some accessories so I'm debating getting a garment bag for that one. 
QueenMauw

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joceyg99
And since it was the first year and there are SO many expenses of initially stocking the bag, I too didn't want to plunge into an $80 garment bag purchase.  I ended up purchasing these bags that allowed me to hang onto each costume hanger the associated tights, headpieces and other costume accessories for each costume:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072WXJ5HH/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

On each of these bags, I placed a reusable adhesive label where I wrote down on each bag what I needed for each costume (which shoes, tights, hairstyles).  I placed all the shoes in the nets inside the Grit bag.  So when we got to comp, I set up the rack, and removed the six hangers with the attached hanging pocket bags (you could separate each child's costumes on left and right side)...and you'll have everything together and organized without the expensive garment bags with pockets.

Ya the garment bags I want are US$150 for 10. [frown] Last year I did large ziploc freezer bags with the costume accessories so similar idea to what you siggested, just not as durable. The link you posted doesn’t ship to me but I’ll do some more amazon searching and see if I can find one that does.

But on the other hand, I still would love garment bags for our local comp where we might head down for one dance in the morning, then back home, then two dances in the evening, etc. and the change rooms are too small to be hauling the huge bag back and forth. (And I do their make-up at home for the local comps but do bring the make-up bag for touch ups)

And then I flip and think I could make do without the garment bags. LOL
Redfraggle

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I use oh bags from costume manager. I love them.
joceyg99

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMauw
Ya the garment bags I want are US$150 for 10. [frown] Last year I did large ziploc freezer bags with the costume accessories so similar idea to what you siggested, just not as durable. The link you posted doesn’t ship to me but I’ll do some more amazon searching and see if I can find one that does. But on the other hand, I still would love garment bags for our local comp where we might head down for one dance in the morning, then back home, then two dances in the evening, etc. and the change rooms are too small to be hauling the huge bag back and forth. (And I do their make-up at home for the local comps but do bring the make-up bag for touch ups) And then I flip and think I could make do without the garment bags. LOL

Ha!  Glad i'm not the only one who thinks it all out ahead of time and wonders what's best!  I was tempted to just bring what I needed this past weekend (we were going from a hotel) but ended up being nervous of either losing something or needing something I didn't have (makeup, wipes, hair pins, etc...) so lugged the bag back and forth each day...admittedly, the bag WAS heavy to move around!  On the 2nd day, we ended up in a tight fitting room, and I was thankful I had chosen the Grit which takes up room vertically. 

Off topic, one other thing I found that worked GREAT with the Grit was this black curtain (not sure if this will ship to you or not but i'm sure there are others like it):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5KWL1I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 45" length made it so it didn't hang on the ground...I bought a few stainless steel towel clamps, and hung the curtain on the back side of the rack so I could still open the bag (the end grommets on each side) and held it with 2 clamps on the end and one in the middle...This method let me still have room for hanging costumes.  I "parked" our bag in a corner and this gave her a nice little privacy curtain (that a few kids ended up using at times as well).

Some of these posts will probably sell me on the garment bags at some point I'm sure!

Good luck!
2tinydancers

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #13 
My daughter has 9 costumes and they are all in garment bags. So much easier to organize and the costumes stay in good shape. You can find bags pretty affordably on amazon. The investment is worth it in my opinion. Plus you reuse them every year. Costumes are expensive. I don’t want mine to get ruined
Dancinggirls

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #14 
I just use large ziploc bags for the costumes. They sell some that are bigger than gallon size if you need more room than what can fit in a gallon bag. Fold them or roll them up. It sounds crazy, but it really is fine. But garment bags take up so much room in the duffle, it saves a ton of space to use ziplocs.
lovemykids

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I am not a very organized person in general, but I have come to realize that for dance competitions you have to be so garment bags are one of my most relevant organization tools. I put everything needed for each dance in a single bag and I label it and write what pieces are inside. And right after she changes I make sure everything goes back in the bag. Is the only way I can keep track of everything and make sure I have all she needs. I'm sure that for someone with better organization skills than me a large ziplock bag will suffice or even no bag, but I wouldn't trust myself that way, I need the pockets and the separations. I buy the Dream Duffel ones and I don't find them that expensive
DanceMomInTraining

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Sorry, I'm new to competitive, but don't your customs come in garment bags from the supplier? Last year when she was rec, she had a provided garment bag for each costume.

I was at the dollarstore yesterday, and they had both clear and black garment bags (shorter suit length and longer dress length) for just a couple of bucks each.

I agree - better to keep everything organized and in one place.  Last year, I had all accessories in a large Ziploc freezer bag (head piece, tights, etc.), with a wholepunch at the top and then threaded the Ziploc bag over the hanger.  It worked great and helped her stay organized.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.