Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
dancemomjb

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, DD and I are looking into competitions for next year, and she is performing a solo. We are looking to find some great competitions which love technique above the other aspects, and tend to like technical dancers/dances. Thank you!
nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I'm too new to share my thoughts (only second season) - but it might be good to share your location.  A lot of comps are regional.  Maybe you'll get better recommendations.
jule425

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
It can also vary city to city depending on the judges. We attended on comp this season that they were obviously looking at technique, most of the same girls were at a different comp, which supposedly had the same scoring breakdown (same umbrella company), but this time the "performers" won out over the more technical. 

If you are independent, it's harder to compete at technical comps. The Break the Floor convention competition's are great for technical dancers, but you have to be affiliated with a studio.
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I think half the score at Legacy is technique.
DanceMommy2Riley

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Break the Floor events (such as Jump, Nuvo and/or 24 Seven) are fantastic competitions if you are looking for extremely talented and technical dancers, but like jule425 said, you have to be affiliated with a studio (unless you just want to partake in the convention). My DD has competed at all 3 of these comps (and The Dance Awards - Break the Floor's national comp) and the competition is always fierce! 

NYCDA is also an option if you are looking to compete amongst other dancers with strong technique... I am not 100% sure whether they allow independents though. NYCDA is one of my DD's favourite competitions - she won runner up for OD years ago when she first started competing in the Jr. division. I highly recommend - she loves BTF too, but NYCDA is definitely her favourite! If your DD competes for OD (outstanding dancer), she will definitely see some amazing dancers with impressive technique! 😉 
dancemomjb

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyklane
I'm too new to share my thoughts (only second season) - but it might be good to share your location.  A lot of comps are regional.  Maybe you'll get better recommendations.

We are in Mass, but New England is fine, NY, NH, etc.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My question would be technique as opposed to what?  Knowing which comps to specifically avoid may actually be more helpful.

That said, we are from MA and I feel like all the comps my dd competed at over the yrs (3 w/studio team and 2 as an independent) valued technique above all us in solos (groups can be different).  ADA, Headliners, Starquest, Elite Performance Challenge, OnStage NY, Bravo, Dancers Inc.  

And as far as being an independent... don't be swayed.  We never had a problem.  Where there's a will there's generally a way.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Break the Floor and NYCDA
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 

In a perfect world, the answer would be all of them! 

I think technique should come first, the showmanship, flash and whatever else a competition judge might value should come next with technique combined with showmanship surpassing all. 

dancemomjb

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

In a perfect world, the answer would be all of them! 

I think technique should come first, the showmanship, flash and whatever else a competition judge might value should come next with technique combined with showmanship surpassing all. 

I agree!! Too often I see a “lyrical” solo of just tricks and turns and leaps and legs surpassing a technical dancer showing off their love of dance and art. Nowadays dance has many styles and forms, from new age contemporary to more contemporary ballet and everything in between. DD and I are going to try our a bunch of different competitions next season and hopefully they will appreciate her technical style and gracefulness.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Any of the conventions are a good choice if you can get a spot.

Ash provides really good critiques even with classical ballet, it's not a traditional competition at their regional though.  They award a few standout routines but that's it.
purplerain

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Every competition is different. In my experience American Dance Awards, Headliners, Hall of Fame, and Jump do put an emphasis on technique rather than tricks. However, it depends on the judges as well.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Like others I think the answer depends a lot on the judges, but let me say IMO if a dancer has amazing technique he or she will do well regardless. If you have two dancers with good technique and maybe one is slightly better than other but not as good of a performer, then you will most likely find the one who performs better scores higher.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.