Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
mousefansmom

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #1 
My daughter attended the COCA event on 1/14/18 where she did the audition for 19 companies at once.  While there, they told the dancers that some companies would not get back to a dancer if the dancer was rejected.  So far she has heard from 4 companies and gotten in to all 4, but only one of those is piquing her interest. It is still early, I know (most said 2-4 weeks and it has only been 10 days), but hard!  We are playing the waiting game now, checking regular and spam folders on both of our emails, as two results came to me, and two came to her.  We are so nervous we will miss one!  Does anyone know from experience, which companies do NOT email/mail rejections?
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Who are you specifically waiting on for COCA? We have heard back with acceptances from Burklyn, Joffrey Texas (with a scholarship), and Webster - all of which we didn't write down. We also heard from Charlotte with a yes (and a desirable level, yay!) and we did write them down. My friends DD13 heard from Denver with a yes and they wrote them down, as well as Webster with a yes and she didn't write them down, but none of the other programs we heard from yet. DD is waiting to hear from KCB, MCB, Louisville, and Cincinnati. I don't expect responses before next week but am hoping for Friday.

DD15 auditioned in 2016 as well and at that time we were told that the companies you listed on your form would get back to you with a yes or a no, the others are not obligated to contact unless they want to extend an invitation. I know DD said that each company rep had a chance to introduce themselves and speak, and they said the length of time to expect to wait for responses and if they would respond if you didn't write them down. She said all companies said 2 weeks except MCB who said 3 weeks.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Also wanted to add :

In 2016 we heard from all the companies that were there except collage geared places, probably because she was just 13 (and there were some different ones in attendance this year) but they were all acceptances. I may have more insight after this year since a close friend also attended in a different age group.

ETA one more thing:

At the last COCA audition, there were people who didn't get responses when they expected them (checked they were interested in that case, the form was different) and they had to call the individual companies and check. There are potentially issues with missing someone or having an incorrect email. But I wouldn't worry about that until 3 weeks was up.

Haha, one more thought :

We've been auditioning for years now with DD15 and COCA is a unique experience. I don't think that it is at all the typical audition as far as what we should expect for responses. I do like that it exposes us to more companies that she wouldn't normally audition for, or even have the time to audition for.
mousefansmom

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you!  We heard from exactly the same 4 so far.  (DD is 16)  She said that Cincinnati wasn't there because of weather....
This was her first COCA and she wasn't sure what to put on the form....None of the 4 were SI's that she listed.  I am sure she will list more next year if she returns.  Keep me posted if you hear from more and I will do the same!
😉
mousefansmom

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #5 
Oh....you asked if we were waiting specifically for COCA-- No, but she really would like to hear from Denver, GRB, Nutmeg and Peridance.  There may be others---but those are the ones I remember for certain!  She didn't put Denver and GRB down, but wishes she did, just in case it would make a difference.  Her teacher told her it didn't...so she wasn't too worried about it.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefansmom
Thank you!  We heard from exactly the same 4 so far.  (DD is 16)  She said that Cincinnati wasn't there because of weather....
This was her first COCA and she wasn't sure what to put on the form....None of the 4 were SI's that she listed.  I am sure she will list more next year if she returns.  Keep me posted if you hear from more and I will do the same!
😉

DD said Nashville was who didn’t show up and Cincinnati was there, just so you have a reference.

I’ll keep you updated!
mousefansmom

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #7 
She got into MCB, which she was happy about.  Not Louisville, but she is fine with that...did say she wanted Nashville, so will do video for that one since they weren't there.  [frown]

5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
She received acceptances from KCB, MCB, and Louisville. Sorry to hear she didn’t get Louisville! All DD is waiting on from COCA now is Cincinnati. I just have to crunch numbers and time frames. I wish she would get scholarships to programs she would actually love to attend even though we are just happy for acceptances, lol!
mousefansmom

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #9 
She got Nutmeg, waiting for Grand Rapids and Cincinnati...she was excited about Nutmeg, but don't know if we can swing 9k plus travel....heart is breaking, but the acceptances are an honor. :)
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefansmom
She got Nutmeg, waiting for Grand Rapids and Cincinnati...she was excited about Nutmeg, but don't know if we can swing 9k plus travel....heart is breaking, but the acceptances are an honor. :)

9K????!!!!?!!!

Holy cow! That's what I pay for a full year... 30 hours a wk... in a class of 8 ... taught exclusively by 2 recently retired ABT/BB soloists/principals
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

9K????!!!!?!!!

Holy cow! That's what I pay for a full year... 30 hours a wk... in a class of 8 ... taught exclusively by 2 recently retired ABT/BB solloists/principals

Yep, that’s why DD15 hasn’t gone there. She auditioned for them the last 3 years, including at COCA this year and in 2015. Last year was just because she was wanting to audition in Chicago at Joffrey (gorgeous studio!) and it was a great master class. Way too much money proportional to other programs! DD has never been offered a scholarship and it would have to be a big one. I don’t think they do many scholarships for girls.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom
Yep, that’s why DD15 hasn’t gone there. She auditioned for them the last 3 years, including at COCA this year and in 2015. Last year was just because she was wanting to audition in Chicago at Joffrey (gorgeous studio!) and it was a great master class. Way too much money proportional to other programs! DD has never been offered a scholarship and it would have to be a big one. I don’t think they do many scholarships for girls.

I did a quick google to satisfy my curiosity and found that that's a combo of a 4 wk program & a 2 wk program.  Still crazy but at least people don't have to pay 9K.  Although I don't quite understand why the program that is half the length isn't half the price.

And IDK... hats off, I guess, to those who can/will pay this crazy money.  I just can't.  I want dd to get amazing training, yes, but I'm simply not willing to dig that deep into our pockets when it's not necessary.  My family gives up enough as it is & w/dd likely to continue to need our financial support for yrs to come as she fights to make this dream come true... it feels financially irresponsible to spend more than we have to.  I don't want her to have to cut her pursuit short because we didn't plan accordingly. Sorry for the tangent but it this is a real hot button for me.  And dd was just talking to a very close friend who's in that position right now.  Her parents simply had no more money to support her dream, so when she couldn't get a paid position she had no choice but to switch gears & go to college to work towards a more practical future.  Dd talked to her last night.  She's absolutely miserable.  Told dd she no longer has any dreams.  Broke my heart.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
That's so sad. I would hate for that to be our future. It's difficult to be fiscally responsible with dance. I wish I was independently wealthy!
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
We are still waiting on Cincinnati, which is literally the only place left she was wanting to hear from. I may email or call if we don't hear from them by Wednesday.
mousefansmom

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #15 
5678...Did she hear from Grand Rapids yet?  Keeping my fingers crossed for you both for Cincinnati!  (we also have not heard from them).

Do you think the ones we heard from will be it?   I know they all said about 2, maybe 3 weeks (although one of the directors told us up to 6).....
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
No, we haven't had anything from Grand Rapids, but she didn't put them down so we won't follow up. I'm hoping that not hearing from Cincinnati means there may be a scholarship but I'm not holding by breath, lol.
mousefansmom

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #17 

Thanks...keep us posted! 😉

mousefansmom

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #18 

I was wondering something....dd hear from Cincinnati, but CCM, NOT Cincinnati Ballet.  It is weird because one of them was on the list but their logo not on the website, and vice versa.  We DID get an acceptance from Cincinnati (CCM).  Were they BOTH there?  I do believe that they are separate programs...am I right about that, or wrong?  Thanks for any insight!
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Cincinnati Ballet has COCA listed on their audition tour, so I'm thinking both programs were represented. I don't even think CCM actually even came to the audition but just accepted on resume alone.
mousefansmom

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #20 
5678...Did you end up calling Cincinnati?  Just curious if you had to go that far.  We haven't heard from any others since Monday....dd got Grand Rapids and was excited about that because it is smaller but supposed to be good.  I was excited because it is somewhat close to home and affordable!  New artistic director though....
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
I'm not calling Cincinnati after all. DD is pretty set on going to Charlotte. She also got into Grand Rapids although I know nothing about them!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.