Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaDanceMom
I am amazed to see how many people have kids doing online school. I am very intrigued. What online schools would you recommend? I might need to do some research. This might be our only option as she gets older.

I know a couple of students using George Washington (http://www.gwuohs.com).

my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #27 
DD just started at Keystone Online School a few months ago.  So far we are really liking it.  It's open enrollment so you can start anytime - not limited by a school year.  It's 100% self paced so no deadlines.  The only requirement is that you finish a course within 12 months of enrolling.  There are teachers available for help and they are very responsive.  They also have online clubs.  DD joined the photography club.
hsealover

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsealover
DD switched to online school for second semester of 7th grade, doing public school since preschool. She is now in 9th grade, and loving it. Great choice for us. I think part of the motivation to do it was for dance, but not the only reason she did it. She was going through some rough times, her dad was pretty sick, some family issues, and the middle school she went to just was not good at all.

At our tiny studio, there is 1 other child doing homeschooling for gymnastics, dance, and as I said, the schools aren't great.

There is talk of a performing arts school opening in our area, so I can see DD maybe going there in the future, but she doesn't know for sure.

EDIT: DD uses Connections Academy. It's a public virtual school. There are live lessons and such, so she does talk to other kids and has good communication with her teachers if she chooses to. She usually doesn't go to them, she only goes if she needs help. She regularly emails and has phone calls with her teachers also. Their school year is broken up into 2 semesters instead of four quarters/grading periods. She starts school after Labor Day and got out of school this year May 27th. She still has summer breaks, fall break, winter break, spring break, etc. She is required to be online 20-25+ hours in the week, but it doesn't matter what days and times just so she has enough hours in. You are also allowed to log other educational activities to up your time if necessary. They aren't super strict on attendance as long as you're getting your work done! They provide most school supplies and a free computer or laptop(you choose). Since it is considered public, it is free to all families. DD uses her personal laptop so she can take it wherever she wants, and it's nicer, but that's personal preference. You still have access to gifted programs and post secondary/college credit plus programs. There are many course options. As a freshman, DD will be taking English, geometry, physics, world history, French, digital photography, and business keyboarding. Most of the teachers are also very accommodating and give great advice. DD has made several friends through meet ups/field trips/family engagement activities. At the end of the year, state testing is held at several testing sites throughout the state. We drove about 20-25 minutes for each session. She also made friends through this as well. Overall, very happy with our decision.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Just an FYI on Connections Academy it is not free in all states so if your interested check to make sure it's available in your state.  It is not free in Illinois and would have cost us almost $5,000 a year for DD to attend.
threegirlpileup

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #30 
We have always homeschooled, so we made the decision long before dance was on the radar for us. However, there is no way that my dd (now 16) could do all the dance she wants AND give decent attention to academics AND get enough sleep, so it's worked out well. I also homeschool my non-dancing dd.

We have seen a few friends make the decision to start or keep homeschooling due to the demands of the dance schedule, but most attend school.

And FYI, Homeschooling is pretty common in my area.
Marina

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Hi,
My daughter is in Year 1 right now and we've always had plans to homeschool her for many different reasons. She is very focused and shows great talent at dance, but dance is very time consuming and I'm glad that homeschooling makes this easier for her and for me and my husband.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Great talent in ballet at 5.  Wow...that's pretty awesome.  
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina
Hi, My daughter is in Year 1 right now and we've always had plans to homeschool her for many different reasons. She is very focused and shows great talent at dance, but dance is very time consuming and I'm glad that homeschooling makes this easier for her and for me and my husband.

How time consuming could ballet possibly be at age 5??? [confused]
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermom128

How time consuming could ballet possibly be at age 5??? [confused]

I'm guessing she's planning ahead.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
Great talent in ballet at 5.  Wow...that's pretty awesome.  

Hardly ever wets her tights during class?
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2miracles

I'm guessing she's planning ahead.

She also said she'll be "training" for most of the summer. I would like to know what kind of training a 5 year old does other than perhaps potty training.
LeapYear0208

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #37 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerinamom13
LABaby - I'm in Phoenix too.  There are some good schools, but very few in this entire metro area of 5 million people IMO. (If anyone doubts this, just do some googleing about how badly Phoenix schools are funded.)   DD started at a private Montessori school at 3 and continued there until 2nd grade. By then, she was dancing enough that I couldn't afford private school and dance.  We found a great charter school until 5th grade.  She went to Cocopah for middle school and it was actually great. She was in student council, etc.  I made her go to one year of "real" high school (Chaparral) to make sure ballet was really as important to her as she thought it was. It was...she went away to a residential program for her sophomore year, the the training was very sub-par compared to her home school and she came home.  She home schooled her junior and senior years at University of Nebraska Distance Learning Program. (Not cheap, but a great program).  She is still "home schooling" now.  St. Mary's College in Northern California offers a year of credits toward a BFA for professional dancers. It's called the LEAP Program. She is now 4 classes in to her sophomore year.  Slow going but better than nothing.  

At her former ballet school, it's pretty much the norm.  She has been gone for 5 years now, but even when she was there, many kids home schooled.  I think almost all of the intermediate and upper level kids in the pre-pro program do now.  Those classes are during the day all week.  I also think it's more of a regional thing. When the schools literally suck, home schooling is better, in general and better for ballet.

I went to Cocopah and Chaparral as well! I left Chap as a Jr though and changed to AAEC, wish I could have gone as a freshman. I hated Chap (but did enjoy marching band). My dancer is going into 2nd, she absolutely loves school so I doubt she will ever want to be homeschooled. I know there are some east valley dance studios that the majority of their kids ARE homeschooled, it shows in their dance training when we see them at comps, they are amazingly rehearsed. I don't know the programs for sure, but like a gymnastics gym I know, I bet they have homeschool programs via dance. 

We are on the other side of the valley, my kids go to a school out of district because I work there. I can't homeschool, I don't have the patience. I *might* be able to homeschool my dancer because she enjoys and craves learning, but my older one, nope, not at all. I would bang my head into the wall repeatedly. 

my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:

She also said she'll be "training" for most of the summer. I would like to know what kind of training a 5 year old does other than perhaps potty training.

hmmm I don't know about your kids but both of mine where potty trained way before 5 years old....
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsealover

AGREE! I've seen a few exceptionally talented 5 year olds, so of course they'd need to train, lol

No need to be snarky.  She's already shared in another thread that she's originally from another country so I'm assuming English isn't her 1st language.  Also people call things different.  So to you taking a summer ballet class to her is training.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #40 
My2 do you plan to thumbs down every comment I make regarding this? 5 year olds don't train in ballet. They don't even take an actual ballet class at that age. Any classically trained ballerina can tell you that. Give me a break.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #41 
I have to agree with my2miracles.  This thread has taken a unpleasant turn.  It looks to me like people are picking on a new member for their own enjoyment.  I hate to see that.  This board has been very helpful to me.
hsealover

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:

No need to be snarky.  She's already shared in another thread that she's originally from another country so I'm assuming English isn't her 1st language.  Also people call things different.  So to you taking a summer ballet class to her is training.

I don't believe I said anything snarky? I'm sorry if you feel that I said something like that, not my intentions. I was just agreeing that there are kids that age that are training during the summer, not "potty training". Pretty sure most kids are potty trained by that age... Deleted my post because I don't want to spread negativity. I truly am confused, I didn't pick on anyone. I'm assuming it was some kind of misinterpretation, I was trying to defend poster. I said there are talented 5 year olds, and depending what you consider training, they may need to train over the summer.

Edited to fix a typing error.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #43 
Well no need to worry about us bullying anyone. Marina posted a picture of someone else's child and when asked said it was her child. It's is most certainly not a 5 year old living in Florida with her Brazilian mom. The child is 7, has a Russian mom, and is an Internet sensation. Sorry folks but 99% of the time here where there's smoke there's fire.
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Well no need to worry about us bullying anyone. Marina posted a picture of someone else's child and when asked sad it was her child. It's is most certainly not a 5 year old living in Florida with her Brazilian mom. The child is 7, has a Russian mom, and is an Internet sensation. Sorry folks but 99% of the time here where there's smoke there's fire.

1000000% agreed. C'mon internet trolls! At least be believable!
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #45 
Fine but for every internet troll you drive off, how many honest, real people are you driving off in the process.  This board is limping along as it is.  If someone says something you think is sensational, ignore it and move on.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Fine but for every internet troll you drive off, how many honest, real people are you driving off in the process.  This board is limping along as it is.  If someone says something you think is sensational, ignore it and move on.

Yes and if we had done that in this situation this person would continue to be using another child's picture. Sorry that's not ok with me. And not for most of us. I'll take my chances. Like I said 99% of the time here where there's smoke there's fire. I hate to say but we're usually right. Especially since most of the time it's the exact same MO.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Yes and if we had done that in this situation this person would continue to be using another child's picture. Sorry that's not ok with me. And not for most of us. I'll take my chances. Like I said 99% of the time here where there's smoke there's fire. I hate to say but we're usually right. Especially since most of the time it's the exact same MO.

Agreed!  This is not the first time we have figured out a troll and it won't be the last.  I personally don't like when someone comes on here and tries to scam people.
hsealover

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #48 
Its just creepy that someone's claiming someone else's child as theirs! Yikes!
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #49 
I went to Cocopah and Chaparral as well! I left Chap as a Jr though and changed to AAEC, wish I could have gone as a freshman. I hated Chap (but did enjoy marching band). My dancer is going into 2nd, she absolutely loves school so I doubt she will ever want to be homeschooled. I know there are some east valley dance studios that the majority of their kids ARE homeschooled, it shows in their dance training when we see them at comps, they are amazingly rehearsed. I don't know the programs for sure, but like a gymnastics gym I know, I bet they have homeschool programs via dance. 

We are on the other side of the valley, my kids go to a school out of district because I work there. I can't homeschool, I don't have the patience. I *might* be able to homeschool my dancer because she enjoys and craves learning, but my older one, nope, not at all. I would bang my head into the wall repeatedly. 

I couldn't have done it when my dd was little either. I work more than full time, plus I have zero patience also.  She was completely on her own, so maybe online school is the right term![smile]

ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #50 
Crap - I go on vacation for 5 days and miss all the fun........I knew TROLL the minute I read all her ridiculous posts. I'm sorry it seems mean to some people, but I know a troll when I see one.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: