Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
MagnoliaDanceMom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I know the city and type of dance makes a difference. We are in Texas close (1-4 hr drive) to Houston, San Antonio and Dallas. My daughter enjoys mostly contemporary, musical theater and jazz. HipHop in small dosages. Has never done Tap. What would you recommend? Oh...not looking for participating in the competition..just convention.

I should have mentioned earlier my DD is about to turn 11 years old.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I don't know how old your DD is but I have heard wonderful things about Wanderlust.  https://www.wanderlustdanceproject.com/
Ktyyyyyyy

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
DD loved the Break the Floor (Nuvo, Jump, 24/7) conventions for years, but lately they've been so crowded she hasn't enjoyed them as much. She really likes Art of Movement though. I don't think they have musical theater though.
dancermom128

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
DD's favorites are NYCDA and NUVO.
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
DD loves 24/7. We've heard great things about Revel and hope to try it next year.
dancedaughters

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We really like Excel In Motion.  It's a less competitive atmosphere than some others and the emphasis is on artistry and love of dance.  Each teacher seems to have a goal that s/he wants to convey in each class, and the teachers are so gracious and warm with the dancers.  They also seem to really enjoy each other's company and they convey the importance of always being a student - they often take each other's classes.   
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Nuvo was like being a sardine. Way too many dancers in a classroom. Art of Movement was suprising. The classes are 1:15 long and not over crowded.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
DD loved ASH best. I liked Intrigue, too. Smaller classes are always a plus in my book.
beccaggie

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Revive and Adrenaline both have a musical theatre class in addition to the usual classes. We love Adrenaline and are hoping to try Revive this next dance season. I heard good things about it as well.
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
DD's favorite has been Revel! Best traditional style convention we've done, DD and I don't have any bad things to say about Revel, they're such a pleasure to work with!

If your DD is really into musical theater, you should look into The Broadway Collective! That has been one of DD's favorites also. Its not your traditional dance convention though, it covers broadway jazz, broadway tap, and vocals! The jazz class featured a combo from Newsies, the tap combo was from Singing in the Rain, and the vocal class featured a song from Baby. It was only 3-4 hours I believe! Then they have a little mini showcase at the end! You get to learn from active Broadway performers, which DD14 thought was super cool! If you get the chance, I totally recommend checking them out! Hands down the best convention we've done!

EDIT: I reread and noticed you said your DD doesn't tap. Another awesome thing about Broadway Collective is that they're all about encouraging dancers to try new things. A big part of their campaign is talking about getting out there and working on the things you haven't done before. They give you the tools, its up to you to use them! DD had never really done serious vocals before, this was a great opportunity for her and she is starting private vocal lessons this summer!
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
My daughter's favorites are LADM and ASH.  She also likes the BTF conventions, but they can get quite crowded depending on time of year and location.
Rhythmaster101

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Power Dance Convention will be in Houston on October 8, 2017 at the Airport Marriott at Intercontinental Airport. http://www.powerdanceconvention.com It's amazing! Oh and observers are FREE!
NYMomoftwo

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #13 
My girls love Excel in Motion. The teachers are amazing and really take the time to make sure the kids are not only getting it, but doing hinges right. They are patient with questions and we've always loved their combos. It's not a sardine factory, either. They don't overbook the rooms. We don't like NUVO or JUMP for that exact reason. So overcrowded there's no actual room to dance.

It's clear they love what theyre doing. The energy is always high and they keep the kids engaged. Always positive reinforcement, too. I've been in rooms at other conventions when teachers have been downright rude. So yeah, we love Excel.
Too2old2BdanceMom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #14 
This is my first post, but I am on my last dance child-(Quit your crying Capezio) and have spent 24 years watching recitals and about 18 traipsing to conventions and competitions over the years..All of mine still and will always treasure our Tremaine memories- where the teachers are all first rate performers that  also know how to teach to the level they are teaching-and Joe Tremaine is a true legend.
I also love the skill level and expertise at West Coast Dance Explosion and the passion that John Crutchman has for dance and the kids- he is also a force of inspiration since after 20 years+ he can  still outleap, out-turn and generally out-dance most any young adult dancer that shows up- and his teaching crew while young-are all strong dancers across the board-the faculty show is inspiring-
We have not been to LA Dance Magic recently-but Jackie Sleight was a master at reaching the tweens and her current teachers are some that are pretty popular,
We did attend Radix last year-expert instruction in the classes but the venue in Atlanta wasn't great and they don't seem to have a limit to the competition entries-2 rooms going from 1@8am 1@12pm Friday thru the evening-so  and Saturday for groups until 1:15am+....I think the organizers will step up and resolve that though-theyare high level pros-
24/7 is a kid fave- but can be high profile and crowded, as are Nuvo and Jump. Adrenaline has some great teachers that choreo for trending music acts on tour-and we will go for classes alone to at least 1 if our studio doesnt go- Radix,Revive, and Adrenaline all have musical theater;I think ASH is smaller,quality instruction that is more artistry than mainstream and the teachers are approachable and inspring.
The stress factor for me has been the level of learning when an 11/12 year old teen  attends -and they decide that due to lower attendance to combine teen/sr. classes. I would check online to see if the older schedule for your city still pulls up-
for our on our own  individual choice of weekend treks the smaller competition for solos is a factor in our choices- we like to have room and a spot to dance- NYDA is also another established, smoothly run event-with seasoned, expert teachers.WE have realized not all fabulous dance talent- young and straight off of SYTYCD can all teach as well as they perform-
GoodLuck...[smile] 
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
My dd hates conventions with a capital H. Our studio usually attends NUVO, but have done others in the past. Luckily in recent years they've made them optional, so she's opted not to go. She'd much rather spend that time in a technique class with one of her amazing teachers, rather than in a ballroom so crowded that she can barely move learning a combo with a teacher that she's never heard of because she doesn't have time to watch television. 

If they cut the amount of kids that they shove into those ballrooms in HALF, it would make all the difference in the world. If it's about money - charge more. People will pay it. 

So to answer your question, I would say any convention that promises space to dance in, and that's not likely to be anything run by Break the Floor. 
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
My daughter's only been to Revel which was excellent.  I was disappointed to find out that Revel is optional this year but Jump is mandatory.  I hear a lot of horror stories about how crowded Jump is.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.