Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
2dornot2d

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My DD15's solo choreographer is not 100% happy with the lighter shade our costume lady made. She wants me to dye it so it's a little darker. Does anyone have tips? I'm ordering one of those. I researched and found acid dye need lower heat is better for the fabric? Or any nylon dye works ok?
TIA!

https://www.amazon.com/Jacquard-Acid-Dyes-Ounce-Jet-Black/dp/B003IGGZNO/ref=sr_1_3?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1515465145&sr=1-3&keywords=acid+dye

https://www.amazon.com/Jacquard-Grams-Gun-Polyester-Natural-Fabrics/dp/B00C1JW0QU/ref=pd_sbs_201_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00C1JW0QU&pd_rd_r=T9CQX7H3V6FPAY4F9RZ0&pd_rd_w=tZH8l&pd_rd_wg=L4F1m&psc=1&refRID=T9CQX7H3V6FPAY4F9RZ0

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U2IXMIW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Midge

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
What fabric is it?  Different synthetics take dye differently.
2dornot2d

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge
What fabric is it?  Different synthetics take dye differently.

It's the basic leotard material, plain spandex? Looks like 100% synthetic.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 

Spandex or lycra (same thing) can be nylon, polyester or a combination thereof. I have had adventures with different leotards taking up the dye differently because the fiber content was slightly different. I've also had a nightmare of trying to dye men's tights a specific color and getting nothing at all like what we were trying for. We suspect that it there was polyester in that particular fabric and the dye was not right for that. 

I'm sure there's more to it than I know too! I just know from my experiences (adventures!) dying large numbers of tutus, leotards and tights. It all worked as planned the first few times and then I hit some trouble. Not sure if it was just beginners luck or what! 

In your case, since you really don't know the fiber content, try one of the dyes that does nylon and polyesters. 

karenc

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Haven't tried it myself but I've been told that Rit DyeMore in the powdered form (not the liquid shown in your link) gives good concentrated color.  Like above, it really all depends on what your material is so you may have to experiment.  Fingers crossed that you have a swatch?
karenc

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
...and if you use the acid dyes, make sure your space is well ventilated.
2dornot2d

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Thank you ladies! All I need is to make the costume a little darker, not the specific shade. I guess I'll probably buy a black dye and dilute. I've tried to dye a pair of my DD's favorite shorts from grey to black couple years ago, and the color mostly faded in the wash right away. It was just all purpose fabric dye last time. Hopefully this synthetic dye works ok. Fingers crossed!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.