Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
kradonov

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I've seen this acronym used here and I cannot figure out what it means?
DanceMomLaura

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youth_America_Grand_Prix

ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
If kids are planning to do YAGP, they need many privates to have their variations and contemporary solos ready to go.  YAGP is the U.S. ballet competition that most people do.  Others are held in other countries or only in the U.S. every 3 or 4 years.  YAGP has regional competitions, in addition to a "National" competition in New York.  You have to reach a certain average score to qualify.  You can win regionals and still not qualify for New York.
ggsmith

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
What ballerinamom13 said.  Youth America Grand Prix was the subject of a documentary movie, "First Position" a few years ago.  Older students are hoping to win the competition, but also hoping to be offered company contracts and training scholarships from representatives of ballet companies and schools world-wide that attend the New York competition.  For younger students like my dd, 12, the lessons (about 2 hours a month for 6 months) are a chance to work one-on-one with an instructor, and the competition itself will be an opportunity to perform a solo with an audience.  She doesn't get a lot of performance opportunities through her school.  Some spend many hours and large sums or money on costumes, travel, and specific coaching.  We're taking a lower key approach.  We are not anticipating an invitation to compete in NYC and would be unable to take advantage of that were it offered.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: