Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Mom22girls

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We have started to compete at a competition with cash prizes. There has been much discussion about who gets the money. What is the policy at your studio? Trying to get some perspective.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We never get cash. Usually, though, the comps just give coupons or Star Dollars or something, which we couldn't use anyway.

Doesn't really bother me. I'm sure SO uses that money to pay for her hotel and travel and the prop truck and things like that. I think it would bother me if we were charged a coach fee or something like that.
slattshe

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Solos and duets get to keep the money.  Trios (which are cast as small groups at our studio) and groups, all goes to the studio. 
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
The studio keeps it all.  Most comps give studio cash these days though.  Occasionally if the kids win a big one she may have a pizza party for whoever is in that dance.
rubydancemom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
The studio keeps it, which is great. It goes back into the studio to benefit the team.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slattshe
Solos and duets get to keep the money.  Trios (which are cast as small groups at our studio) and groups, all goes to the studio. 

This is exactly how our studio works too. When the check for solo/duo is written to the studio, they apply it to tuition. When we win for groups it goes to studio improvements.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Studio keeps all cash prizes, even for solos.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Solos, Duets, Trios get the cash.  Groups of any size = studio.  
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
To the studio!  But earmarked for you to use next year if you go back.
amandafarris03

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I never even thought to ask.  we have a few scholarship kids that our studio owners pays for with studio funds so I'm assuming that those funds go to replace those. 
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Solos get the whole amount.

D/T split the amount between the dancers.

Groups stay at the studio, but they usually use it for something special for the group that won it (pizza party, etc).
jule425

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Solos keep all. The duet/trios and groups split.
dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
It is split between the studio and the dancers and we get a credit on our account. Dd has gotten between $2.50 (for her share of a production win) and a couple hundred dollars for the past few years.
Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
At our studio, the money is split evenly among the dancers in that dance.  We see it on our statement as a credit.  We usually don't see it until July or August so I'm not sure what will happen to my daughter's share since she's a senior.  Hopefully, if she doesn't get it, she can choose to gift it to a certain dancer and they don't just split it evenly among the remaining dancers.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #15 
All money goes to the kids no matter whether if it was a s/d/t, group or production.  The SO keeps track and then actually gives each dancer an envelope with the money in it for them to do what they want. 
butterhead

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #16 
All goes to an account for dancers--split if it is duo/trio or group--which can be used towards any of their dance class or competition expenses.
BreezysMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
The one time we got a cash prize it was split amongst the dancers and placed in their accounts.  A whopping 11 dollars a piece [biggrin]
3girls

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
It gets split amongst the dancers in the group(s) and applied to their comp fees.
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Solos get to keep it and all others the studio keeps it.
dmjrm4

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Our studio is going to The Dance Awards for nationals and is entering for Studio of the Year.  The prize is $25,000 if we win.  Wonder what will happen to that large amount?  That's a lot of cash!
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Our studio gets it, though I think it should be split some how as the studio wouldn't have received that award without the student. The only awards our girls keep at the medals or pins and convention scholarships that have the child's name on them. If they child's name doesn't make it onto the certificate, our studio has been known to let a "favorite" student go in their place.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I admit that I have never paid attention to cash prizes. Not even sure we have gone to comps that give out cash. In our contract, any cash prize is applied to the prop fund which every team member has to pay at the end of the year.
dancecre8tr

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Solos are are split evenly between student and choreographer. Duets & trio also split with choreographer. Groups to studio. All this is in the contract. It's important for the dancer to know that their choreographer is equally important and they are performing their art/work and are in a partnership with them. Group winnings benefit the studio/group as a whole. Not very many competitions give cash anymore.
Rhythmaster101

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Solosist keep the money up to $500 after that amount is met, split 50/50 with studio. All other stays with the studio as they don't charge a directors fee for all the work they do at comps. Plus the competitions send 1099MISC to the studios for the award money, and they have to pay taxes on it, including the solo money. But money is only given to the first overall winner at a regional event. So how many of your studios are actually bringing home a big amount of money? Nationals is where the bigger monetary awards occur. As most award the top 3 placements money.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmaster101
Solosist keep the money up to $500 after that amount is met, split 50/50 with studio. All other stays with the studio as they don't charge a directors fee for all the work they do at comps. Plus the competitions send 1099MISC to the studios for the award money, and they have to pay taxes on it, including the solo money. But money is only given to the first overall winner at a regional event. So how many of your studios are actually bringing home a big amount of money? Nationals is where the bigger monetary awards occur. As most award the top 3 placements money.

Up here we only get money for overalls.  We have had each kid get between $10-100 depending on if it was just for groups or included s/d/t.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: