Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Jbhuff84

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I'm new here and have zero dance background lol! Can someone explain to me exactly what is good technique and what is bad? I've picked up that good feet is good technique (pointed toes, strong releve, anything else?), flexibility (maybe that's not technique), but I feel like I still don't fully understand. I even went to YouTube to search for bad technique vs good technique but couldn't find any good visuals. I did see the Free People dancewear campaign and the comments and visuals regarding the model's poor technique and that helped. But after watching a dance on YouTube I couldn't tell you if it was good technique or bad or sloppy or extradonaire.
Please don't laugh, this a serious question!

dancingpeanut

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
There is so much that goes into it, it's pretty hard to describe. I may see a dancer do a triple pirouette and think it was lovely, and a ballet teacher could list ten things wrong with it, dropped releve, bent supporting knee, core not engaged shoulders raised, elbows dropped, funky finger positions, broken line at the wrist, sickled foot in passé, etc. Technique is all about those tiny little details that add up to take a good dance and make it great.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Good technique involved every single part of the body. It's more than just the feet and an actual releve. It's the wrists, the fingers, the arms, the shoulders, the neck, the core... everything! And it goes far beyond ballet. It applies to other genres as well. 
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Technique is hard to describe but if you want to see good technique - you can easily search a video of Kalani from Dance Moms. She has very nice technique. Some things to notice are the positions of her feet, knees, neck, and shoulders.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom
Good technique involved every single part of the body. It's more than just the feet and an actual releve. It's the wrists, the fingers, the arms, the shoulders, the neck, the core... everything! And it goes far beyond ballet. It applies to other genres as well. 

What she said.  Add head, core, etc - every single part of the body.  Some dancers have better technique but no one is perfect; even professional dancers are constantly training to improve.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I would second the idea of watching-over and over- professional ballet dancers. Check out Dusty Button and Misty Copland on youtube. I'm sure others can add more. If you want to see a kid with good technique, I'd also look at Tate McRae and Avery Gay. 
Jbhuff84

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Thank you for the informative replies! I'm still at the point where most dance looks amazing and it's hard to see varieties of technique and nuances of artistry. Off to YouTube, if you have any other kid dancers with strong technique let me know.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I will second watching Tate McRae, and I will add Briar Nolet, Lucy Vallely, Quinn Starner, Brynn on Dance Moms. Of course you can watch Sophia Lucia. Have fun!!!
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Christina Ricucci... although her videos will be older since illness has kept her out of dance the last couple of years.  But she has gorgeous technique.
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Two others to watch with amazing technique are Gisele Bethea with ABT and Madison Penny at Master Ballet Academy.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: