Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Does your dancer do any cross training?

If so, what kinds of things?

DD is 11 and I'm wondering if she should do a Pilates or Yoga class, or something more cardio oriented like swimming.

Noel

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
DD attends tumbling/ acro twice a week, but she's in ballet the other 3 days of the school week. Trampoline work helps cardio and they stretch there as well. If she weren't in acro she would likely cross train in something that had very little cross over to dance to allow for rest to what she is working on in dance. Swimming is outstanding, non weight bearing, and promotes lengthening contractions as they reach as well as strengthening the core if they have good form.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
At 11, dd took Pilates and a stretch class. No other cross training. At 12, a weekly floor barre was added to that mix.  I don't think she started working on cardio for stamina until she was probably 13 or 14. 

She really did not begin actively cross training until she was a teen. Even then, it seemed like free time for that sort of thing was often lacking between school work, dance, music and rehearsals. Over the years, she has done the above plus gyrotonics, additional pilates (reformer instead of just mat classes), yoga, plus cardio at the gym. Always worked at home with theraband for her feet/ankles. Also has her own little warm up that is very core oriented.  Also does high intensity interval training now, but she is an adult, not a growing adolescent. 
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
My daughter is 10, almost 11, and she does a weekly body conditioning class at the studio. She doesn't have time for anything else, honestly, with her dance schedule. 
1tinydancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Nothing.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendumom

She really did not begin actively cross training until she was a teen. Even then, it seemed like free time for that sort of thing was often lacking between school work, dance, music and rehearsals.

This. DD13 does pilates in the summers but during the ballet season it is VERY hard to find time for even that.
nyklane

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
DD7 did a tumbling class at gymnastics studio and a class at another gymnastics studio that taught acro, but also had trampolines and some martial arts mixed in (kicks, etc).  She was just learning acro skills and it was a good place to keep those skills sharp.
DanceMomLaura

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Nope.  She's so active with dance that I like her body to have its rest time.  And she's 16!  lol
rmarti123

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
My DD 12 runs for cardio. Normally 2 miles, 3 times a week. Outside during the warmer months and on the treadmill at home when it's cold or bad out. Her brothers are high school cross country runners and she's picked up a love of running from them.
peachygreen98

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
My daughter rides her bike to and from the bus stop (1 mile each way each day).  Does that count?  
Dancinandlovinit

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
She attends pilates classes, and runs (her ballet teacher would die if she knew she runs, but she loves running). She believes that it helps with her stamina on stage. Sometimes she and a few of her friends will go to the gym and have a good time in a zumba class. [crazy]

She does have a gym membership and goes regularly. On top of everything else!

dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Zip, zilch, and nada.
Mamala

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
they do a lot of conditioning in my DD's classes. Lots of stretch and muscle work. For cardio I imagine dancing takes care of that. Especially hip hop. Outside of dance she does normal kid activities that provide exercise like riding her bike, swimming, jumping on the trampoline etc.
hopefuldancer17

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #14 
DD (17) would like to do more for cardio/stamina, but it's hard to fit it in with school and dance. We spend about 1.5 hours a day commuting, she takes honors classes at school and then she's at the studio around 15-18 hours a week once rehearsals are under way. When she has some extra time, she'll use our treadmill cautiously (trying not aggravate shin splints) and will do Pilates work at home.
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I don't know that it's purposefully cross training, but DD trains in aerial and will start track in the spring since she likes to run.
hsealover

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
DD14 does a bit of cardio and pilates. She also has a little workout she does every night which is a combination of lots of things.(floor barre, stretching with the theraband, some core and arm workouts, and simple barre exercises)
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
This. DD13 does pilates in the summers but during the ballet season it is VERY hard to find time for even that.

Fortunately, Pilates was part of the local ballet program she attended. It started with the pre-pointe level, if I recall correctly. Glad we did not need to chase it down ourselves because it would not have happened with the same regularity! 
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
My DD does a pilates private weekly. They have a weekly stretch and condition class at the studio as well.
dmjrm4

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
DD14 does reformer Pilates to cross train and lessen her risk of injury.  Private Pilates is required by her studio, they have 5 Pilates instructors coming in to the studio to meet the competition team's needs. At first I thought it was an excessive requirement at our studio, but we are almost injury free, and we all think Pilates is a big factor.
rdsmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #20 
DD 11 rides her bike. For fun around the neighborhood. [smile] 

DD 14 has Pilates and a conditioning class that focuses on core and upper body as well as stretching. Those classes aren't available to DD 11 because the SO wants her to be a kid in her free time.
sarahannexo

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #21 
She does yoga during the summetime. During the dance season, she only stretches at home at the most, otherwise she's playing with dolls or running her solo.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.