Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I would love to know what you think about these conventions/workshops.  Any specific info you are able to share is great, but even just a rating would be helpful.  Thanks so much.  
1 = love
2 = average
3 = bad 

Dance Olympus

Fluid

NUVO

Adrenaline

NRG 

KAR

Manhattan Dance Project
dancindaughter

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We have done Nuvo for the last 3 years.  DD15 loves the faculty.  Outrageous talent always attends.  However, insanely overcrowded here.  We are in AZ, and have been the last stop on Nuvo's schedule traditionally.  Always multiple studios from out of state.
dncemom01

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Adrenaline classes were our absolute favorite classes last year but our least favorite comp last year. The competition aspect did not end until almost 2am Saturday night. We would go back for the classes alone
DanceMomLaura

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
The only one my DD has done out of that listing is Nuvo.  I would have to agree with dancindaughter ... classes are packed.  We have attended Nuvo for the past 4 years.  We aren't doing it this year.
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
I would love to know what you think about these conventions/workshops.  Any specific info you are able to share is great, but even just a rating would be helpful.  Thanks so much.  
1 = love
2 = average
3 = bad 

Dance Olympus

Fluid

NUVO

Adrenaline

NRG 

KAR

Manhattan Dance Project

Dance Olympus - never did
Fluid - never did
Nuvo - 1
Adrenaline - 2
NRG - never did
KAR - 1
Manhattan Dance Project - never did
2dornot2d

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
NUVO
Fun and well rounded classes. Very popular and packed. Good number of scholarships - winners get tuition discount, free nationals, and $500 ish discount on Dancerpalooza and runner-ups get free nationals & $250 off Dancerpalooza and many kids gets class scholarship (hip hop, jazz, etc) Travis Wall and Anthony Morigerato tour with them. Minis have a fun special class, similar to the theme Dancerpalooza has for young kids later in the summer. My DD had Kim McSwain's Beach party in 2015, Circus theme in 2016. 

Adrenaline
Awesome! Great teachers and classes. Our favorite. It's the first one in our area but still a lot of talents attend.
Not as many scholarships as BTF. They audition for "Crew". No class (genre) scholarship. Crews get 50% off next year tuition and free nationals tuitions. Handful of Elite crews get nationals and regionals for free.

We haven't attended the other conventions.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We have only done one on your list, NUVO. The classrooms were so packed that the dancers could not fully extend their arms or legs. I had an observer band (can't remember if I paid for it) but there literally was no room for me to get in. DD was 11 and short at the time. She struggled to see the instructors unless they split the dancers into two groups.

The competition was long and late both days. The judging is tough and the talent is amazing. I liked that. The stage, lighting and pics were top notch. I can't speak to scholarships because at 11, DD was not ready for that. One of DDs group dances did make it into the "final show". I did not get to see it because there was no room in the ballroom. Disappointing.

Being that it's been awhile since we have been, maybe they have addressed the crowding and lack of sight lines? But based on our experience, I would not return unless I had iron clad guarantees that crowd sizes were reasonable.
gymanddance

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
NUVO- Like don't Love. The overcrowding has just gotten too bad. We continue to go because our studio wants to compete against the best and thats were the best go IMH.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I think I can stand Nuvo about every second year. The classes are amazing, just far to crowded. They offered Friday night classes last year for inter and up level. And you couldn't even step in the doorway.
The teen/senior class was together and super crowded with so many levels of dancers.

I love the atmosphere and teachers though.
Robynb79

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
We love Adrenaline. The convention classes are great. If you get picked as part of the crew you have very early rehearsal on Sunday morning. This is difficult because the competitive generally runs extremely late. I think it did end a bit earlier last year, maybe midnight, but my daughter is in all junior dances, except her duo where she is a mini, and the competition didn't seem to run terribly late into the evening for that age group.....or maybe I blocked it out of my head [smile]
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks everyone. We have loved NUVO for the teachers and classes too, but we are thinking about smaller options too, so keep it coming. Thanks!
Sprmom2679

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Nuvo is good but very crowded, especially in AZ. Enormous amount of top talent.
Adrenaline - Regionals are good, not too crowded and teachers really give good lessons. Nationals as a crew member was a bad experience for many this year. They have split off into two now, Revive and Adrenaline. They don't put negative/nasty teachers in check backstage, which they should. Average talent, not a lot of top talent like NRG and NUVO.
NRG - super fun, high energy, crowded (in AZ), leans towards hip hop, didn't like that classes are only 45 minutes. I saw one backstage employee who is the daughter of a local studio owner showing that studios team the "possible" routine for auditions. Lack of integrity but that was one person, overall I think the rest of the staff was awesome and Rustin is very excellent himself. Top talent attends this too, really fun to watch.
KAR - good comp, no complaints. Extremely good and fair judging.

joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
The only one of those we've done is NUVO.  Great teachers and convention but way too many dancers.
Cookmomx3

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzit42
We have only done one on your list, NUVO. The classrooms were so packed that the dancers could not fully extend their arms or legs. I had an observer band (can't remember if I paid for it) but there literally was no room for me to get in. DD was 11 and short at the time. She struggled to see the instructors unless they split the dancers into two groups.

The competition was long and late both days. The judging is tough and the talent is amazing. I liked that. The stage, lighting and pics were top notch. I can't speak to scholarships because at 11, DD was not ready for that. One of DDs group dances did make it into the "final show". I did not get to see it because there was no room in the ballroom. Disappointing.

Being that it's been awhile since we have been, maybe they have addressed the crowding and lack of sight lines? But based on our experience, I would not return unless I had iron clad guarantees that crowd sizes were reasonable.

We did Nuvo last year and this was exactly our experience! Not much has changed. This year it's optional and we are skipping. Not worth the money, IMO for the crowding. And my daughters are not phenom dancers.....
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
DD did Dance Olympus for several years, and did KAR last year. She loved them, but she loved any chance to dance. She thought the tap at Dance Olympus was too easy. She thought it was too easy at KAR as well, but not as easy as Dance Olympus. She loved the MT portion of KAR, and loved Modern at Dance Olympus. Those two classes are not taught at her studio so it was something new to her.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: