Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
myasmum

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Just curious if we will cross paths with anyone this yr this is where we will be
Elite Dance Challenge
Date: April 13 - 15

Embrace Dance Competition
Date: April 26 – 29

Luv2Dance Competition
Date: May 3 – 6
MimisMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We are going to the following.  Trying a couple new ones this year.

Elevation Dance Challenge - Milton
Apr. 6-8

Dance Canada - Blue Mountain Collingwood
Apr. 19-22

TKO Dance Challenge - Niagara Falls
May 3-6

The View Dance Challenge - Toronto
May 25-27
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
We're doing a few new ones this year as well (including View, but in Hamilton).  We won't cross paths but I wish you all good luck!  And I'm enormously jealous that you're both going to Blue Mountain!  Enjoy!
MimisMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom
We're doing a few new ones this year as well (including View, but in Hamilton).  We won't cross paths but I wish you all good luck!  And I'm enormously jealous that you're both going to Blue Mountain!  Enjoy!

I love the area at Blue Mountain. It is so beautiful and the comp and judges are amazing. But I hate the seating arrangements. You cannot see a thing over people’s heads, unless you are up front or standing in the back. I’ve actually stood on a chair up against the back wall (cause I’m short 😊). That’s my little secret.
Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Western Canada. We are going to Lake Louise and Edmonton. Assuming the Lake Louise seating will be crap, but a trade off did the beautiful scenery. And Edmonton is nice. We always hit up West Ed. I know there's better shopping, but not often you get a mall with a pirate ship and ice arena in the same building.
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We’re going to Scotiabank Convention Centre in Niagara Falls for the first time. Never been to this venue before but heard it’s beautiful.

Oh and hotels in that area is much more expensive than what we used to. Yikes!
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We're doing two comps we've done before, and two new ones - Star Beat in Hamilton and Kick It Up at Blue Mountain, both of these are scheduled as 4 day events (yikes!).

We were in Niagara last spring for a comp (at the Crown Plaza) and hotels were crazy expensive. Parents mostly shared rooms to save on the cost. We're doing that at Blue Mountain this year too, a number of us are sharing as it's expensive and we're not even staying in the Village itself but in Collingwood. 
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #8 
When DS was still competing all the comps had special room rates but you usually had to book them in December.  We got great rates at Sheraton and Crowne Plaza that way.
myasmum

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elastigal
We're doing two comps we've done before, and two new ones - Star Beat in Hamilton and Kick It Up at Blue Mountain, both of these are scheduled as 4 day events (yikes!).

We were in Niagara last spring for a comp (at the Crown Plaza) and hotels were crazy expensive. Parents mostly shared rooms to save on the cost. We're doing that at Blue Mountain this year too, a number of us are sharing as it's expensive and we're not even staying in the Village itself but in Collingwood. 

Which comp at blue mountain? We have done it here in the past BUT the rooms were way cheaper NOW we HAVE to book through the comp and very expensive and needs to be paid in full by mid Feb so I haven’t booked as no extra cash at the moment but worries we will be stuck as taking the greyhound up unless my husband can take time off work to drive us up as can book in Collingwood for cheaper BUT taxis are apx $20 1 way 😔
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimisMom
I love the area at Blue Mountain. It is so beautiful and the comp and judges are amazing. But I hate the seating arrangements. You cannot see a thing over people’s heads, unless you are up front or standing in the back. I’ve actually stood on a chair up against
the back wall (cause I’m short 😊). That’s my little secret.

Everyone knows when one of our dances is coming on.  I stand up and move quickly to the closest wall where I stand to watch the dance start to finish.  Then I go back to my seat quickly.  I agree about the sight lines there but when you walk out of the venue and look at the mountain ...sigh.  JEALOUS!  Have fun!
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elastigal

Graduating dance mom here.  We've done both Star Beat (2 years) and Kick It Up (2 years split apart).  Star Beat is run by a nice couple but they let their judges run the show. And these are not top rate judges - at least not at that point in time. During the dance off, prepare to have your kids ripped to shreds for no apparent reason. They told a group of minis from another studio one year that they'd marked them down because they didn't use their prop enough.  "If you're going to come out here on stage with a big prop like that, USE IT. Do you not understand that?"  Um ..they didn't choreograph the dance you dimwit.  A couple of the kids started to cry.  Awful.  One year we did two competitions against the same large studio - once at Star Beat, and once at a larger, more well-known competition.  It was fascinating to see the difference in scoring.

Kick It Up is also a lovely family run competition who really do some nice little things for the studios and the families.  Last year we all got free videos of every dance our kid was in. Available just a few days after the competition ended. That tells me they know it costs a lot to have kids that compete and they're trying to provide nice perks.  However, watch their scoring really closely.  Last year DD was not called for a senior solo overall and that's fine. On the ride home I was looking through my program to see if I'd seen the solos that placed and noticed two dancers with senior solo overalls who received a lower mark than DD (a lesser 'ribbon').  I just figured I'd marked it down wrong.  When the final report arrived at the studio, there was DD with an overall after all.  She missed her chance to be called up on stage as a winner, but she was fine with just knowing (as they get older they don't care as much).  My point it, I don't think their score-tallying system is up to the speed with which they move. Expect changes after the fact and keep your eye on it (if that's important to you).  Otherwise, lovely people that work really hard for their clients.

Have a great season!
elastigal

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
@kmpmom thanks! I think we are doing Star Beat this year for something different. We are going in to it with a “see what happens” attitude since it is new to us. Kick It Up we are looking forward to as its an away comp for us so it will be at the end of the day a good team building co p, though hoping that it ends up being positive.
cfdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMama
We’re going to Scotiabank Convention Centre in Niagara Falls for the first time. Never been to this venue before but heard it’s beautiful. Oh and hotels in that area is much more expensive than what we used to. Yikes!

We are going to Scotiabank Convention Centre too for the first time this year. I have heard it is nice. We managed to get decent rates at the comp hotel through the comp booking. I tried a few other close by hotels that we have points for and they were extremely expensive.
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfdancemom

We are going to Scotiabank Convention Centre too for the first time this year. I have heard it is nice. We managed to get decent rates at the comp hotel through the comp booking. I tried a few other close by hotels that we have points for and they were extremely expensive.

For some reason our studio doesn’t have a block rate this year. I ended up booking a hotel about 5 mins away, hope it’s not so bad.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMama
For some reason our studio doesn’t have a block rate this year. I ended up booking a hotel about 5 mins away, hope it’s not so bad.

Our studio never did group rate blocks but the comps always did so we just booked under them and got the better rate.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Wait, you're all staying in Canada this year?  We're sort of used to a mini "Canadian invasion" around my parts.

Jealous about anyone going to Lake Louise.  Only been twice, but probably my favorite place on Earth.  Would be hard to watch much comp dance there.

I had to Google "Blue Mountain."  Never heard of it.  Turns out it's not far from where my family used to vacation (during the summer) when I was a kid.
myasmum

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I live in Canada 😉

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988
Wait, you're all staying in Canada this year?  We're sort of used to a mini "Canadian invasion" around my parts.

Jealous about anyone going to Lake Louise.  Only been twice, but probably my favorite place on Earth.  Would be hard to watch much comp dance there.

I had to Google "Blue Mountain."  Never heard of it.  Turns out it's not far from where my family used to vacation (during the summer) when I was a kid.
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
We do 2 in Canada and 2-3 in the states. The US entry fees are ridiculous after conversion.
MimisMom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988

We only travel to the US for Nationals every 2 years. This is our year to stay home and save money. 😋.
mookiel

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpmom

We will be at The View in Hamilton! 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.