Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Celc9

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
At our studio there are different teams based on style of dance. Each team has class twice a week except for Hip Hop which is once a week. One ballet technique class is required for lyrical and jazz team not sure about the tap team. One acro class is required for lyrical l, jazz, and hip hop. During team class the main focus is learning the compudamce. My DD left the jazz team and only did hip hop this year as far as teams. She was apart of production and a duet that was more lyrical. She would love to do more technique focused classes but I'm not sure even were to start when looking. She enjoys competition and being on the team but is completely fine with not competing.
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
For my daughter's team, there are 2 required classes and 4 optional.  One hour of jazz and two hours of ballet are required.  Optionals are an hour each of acro, tap, hiphop, and lyrical.  These classes are only kids on her team and each of the kids chose to do them all; we don't compete acro.
alingading

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My DD takes ballet, jazz, lyrical, contemporary, pointe, acro, tap, and hip hop. These are all classes that I think most people refer to as "technique" classes. They do not go over any competition material at all during these classes. Comp rehearsals are usually held every weekend as the season gets closer.
Phx115

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
This fall DD11 will be taking five 2-hr ballet classes (including 30 minutes of pointe during two of them); lyrical, contemporary, jazz and a comp-team technique class. These are not rehearsals for comp group, duo, and solo routines. Those are completely separate.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
At DS studio each company had it's own minimum requirements.  To compete at all you had to take all the ballet classes offered for your level (as a senior that was 4 1/2 hour classes not including pointe).  There was also mandatory stretch and strength class for all company members.  If you wanted to compete in jazz or lyrical there were mandatory tech classes in those disciplines.  If you wanted to compete in acro you had to take an acro tech class and if you want to compete in song and dance you hd to take jazz tech.  For tap there was a mandatory tap tech class.

So for a senior competing in everything that would be:

4 tech ballet classes
1 stretch and strength
1 jazz tech
1 lyrical tech
1 acro tech
1 tap tech
acro choreo
demi pointe choreo
pointe choreo
jazz choreo
lyrical choreo
tap choreo
song and dance choreo
hip hop choreo

The classes were entirely separate from choreo classes.
hsealover

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
DD14 takes many classes, lol! I'll list these on a per week basis for during the school year session.

3-4 ballet classes at the ballet school (usually 90 minutes each)
3-4 pointe classes at the ballet school (usually 45 minutes each)
2 jazz classes, one at the ballet school and one at the comp studio (usually an hour each)
1 contemporary/modern class at the ballet school (usually an hour each)
1 lyrical class at the comp studio (usually an hour each)
1 musical theater class at the comp studio (usually an hour each)
1 technique/leaps and turns class at the comp studio (usually 75 minutes each)
1 tap private at the comp studio (usually 45 minutes each)
1 musical theater private at the comp studio (usually 45 minutes each)
1 lyrical private at the comp studio (will probably be 45 minutes also)
DD sometimes picks up a clogging or ballroom/dancesport class at a local studio (varies)
Then there's rehearsals and masterclasses (varies)

Edited because I forgot something, lol!
nyklane

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Would love to know the ages of above!  My DD is 7 - has one comp solo and one comp small group this year.  Next year I'm sure we will be adding..

Required to take weekly
1 hr Ballet
1 hr Jazz
1.5 Comp Choreo
Additional Classes weekly
1 hr Tap
1 hr Hip Hop
1 hr Acro
Then solo Choreo of course.
elastigal

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Well my DD8 (almost 9) will be taking the least amount of classes on her team this upcoming season (8 kids on team) as I am of the belief that I'd rather build things up gradually rather than go from 6 hours of classes to 15 hours! She moves up to Elite division this upcoming season too. So this upcoming season she will have:

Ballet Tech + Choreo - 2.5 hours (45 minute choreo class)
Tap Tech + Choreo - 1.5 hours (45 minute choreo class)
Jazz Choreo - 45 minutes
Conditioning - 45 minutes
Musical Theatre Choreo - 1 hour
Production Choreo - 1 hour
Lyrical Tech - 45 minutes
Solo Private - 30 minutes

She'll have just under 9 hours of dance per week which for us is manageable; she is competing in 5 groups plus her solo. Others on her team are doing 7-8 groups plus multiple solos and duos/trios. We didn't get on that crazy train as we didn't want our DD to spread herself too thin, we want her to excel in everything she's doing rather than possibly being less than stellar because she has too much. 

Mama2aHappyDancer

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
We're still waiting for placements on her new team but if she made everything she auditioned for:

1 hr of production
2 hours of technique
2 hours of ballet
1 hour tap
1 hour musical theater
1 hour of lyrical
1 hour jazz
1 hour hip hop
and any s/d/t/ small groups she's given
That's 5 competition groups. All classes except for hip hop are company classes. She decided she didn't want to compete in hip hop this year but wants to keep practicing it in case she wants to again. She may also add one more ballet class if the schedule allows.
She's 8.
Jinkerbelle

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #10 
This past year was crazy for my daughter who is 14!
She did her school team and that was 2.5 hours on Mon. & Wed. Plus 2.5 hours on Sundays twice a month.
At her comp studio she took the following:
Ballet= 3.5 hours week
Pointe= 1 hour week
Hip hop= 45 minutes week
Contemporary = 45 minutes week
Technique= 1 hour week
LJT = 1.5 hours week
Company classes = 5.5 hours week
SDT = 1.5 hours week

Grand Total= 22 hours a week or more depending
Plus performing at games, conventions, competition, and camps. Huh.🤔 Kinda puts it in perspective because I have never done the math before!
Herekittykitty

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #11 
DD is 11 and is at a ballet studio that does not compete, but they do have a performance company for local-ish events.

Ballet 4.5 hours (3x1.5 hours)
Pre-pointe .5 hours
Contemporary 1 hour
Company rehearsal 1 hour
Nutcracker rehearsal 1-2 hours (different ballet in the spring, but same time commitment)
Total 8-9 hours

DS is 7 and at the same studio. He does 1 hour of ballet, and ~30 minutes of nutcracker rehearsal.
AusDM

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Goodness!  There are some very busy schedules above!

My 14yr old is a senior in her dance school, and the school has only been open for 6 years.   It doesn't have its own dedicated building so they have to use local community facilities, but as we're in a small country town, we consider ourselves to be quite lucky to have what we have.

Her current weekly schedule includes:

Ballet x twice week (1.5hrs)
Jazz x twice week (2 hrs)
Contemporary (1 hr)
Hip Hop (1 hr)
Stretch & Conditioning (45mins)
Acro (1 hr)
Private lesson (30mins)
Senior Troupe (1 hr)
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #13 
At our last studio where dd competed, they only offered a 1.5h combo class (tap, jazz, ballet), hip hop, and tumbling. Now it's all separate classes. Required classes are leveled ballet, jazz, and lyrical all am hour a week. Plus a full team ballet technique class. Then you are required to take at least one optional and necessary choreo classes. Optional are hip hop, tap, musical theater, or pointe, modern, and contemporary for the older girls. They also have a highly suggested acro class and conditioning class.
peachygreen98

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #14 
My daughter is 11
This fall her schedule (Spread over 6 days when you add in Nutcracker Rehearsals on Sunday) is 
  • 3-1/2 hours of ballet (including a 45 minute pre-pointe class)
  • 1 hour Jazz
  • 1 hour 45 minutes Tap
  • 45 min contemporary
  • 1 hour Leaps and Turns
  • 45 minute conditioning class
  • 1-1/2 hour Group Rehearsal
  • 1 hours Production Rehearsal
  • And Solo Rehearsal (not scheduled yet)
In addition she will have weekly Nutcracker rehearsal but that won't be known until August.
So total not including Nutcracker and Solo practice is 11-1/4 hours a week over 5 days.  
Celc9

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Thanks for all the replies. I've talked with the SO about the fact there isn't enough technique only classes and that is what my DD is looking for. Her solution is to pay for a private class. Not sure where we will go from here. DD at the moment will not be dancing. I think I'm more sad to see DD not dance then she is so maybe it is time to put away the dance shoes.
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celc9
Thanks for all the replies. I've talked with the SO about the fact there isn't enough technique only classes and that is what my DD is looking for. Her solution is to pay for a private class. Not sure where we will go from here. DD at the moment will not be dancing. I think I'm more sad to see DD not dance then she is so maybe it is time to put away the dance shoes.

Maybe it's just time to find another studio.
Celc9

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459

Maybe it's just time to find another studio.

We have thought about it and started looking. We just found out that DDs first DT is moving back to town and looking for a teaching job. This is DDs favorite teacher so maybe we can follow her. Options are limited unless you want to drive a good distance which isn't an option with my work schedule.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
There are a good number of studios where a technique based class (ie not a rehearsal) is actually required to be on a team. Start looking at all the studios in your area, including the ballet schools. You never know what you will find. All 2 out of 3 of our closest ballet schools have jazz classes. The third used to as well. Those are definitely focused on technique. One of them doesn't even perform.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: