Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
LeapYear0208

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #26 
We have a total of 6 shows.

My kids are in 4 of them. Friday night my 5 yr old has 2 dances, sat morning my 7yr old has 1, sat afternoon my 5yr old has 2 and 7yr old has 1 and sat night my 7yr old has 1. 

Dress rehearsal is the Wednesday before. I will be there from start to finish I am sure between 6 dances, 3 per kid. We won't get dress rehearsal schedule until May. 
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #27 
Our SO owns three schools in different locations and she has the senior comp teams (which are blended from the studios) and a few soloists do pieces at all of them.  We also attend a ballet school in other town and as a senior my oldest DD gets to be Dorothy in Wizard of Oz.  So this year we have 9 shows over 4 weekends.  Many are 3 hours long.  I can't imagine getting through all of this with graduation and senior prom thrown in the mix.  I can honestly say that I am going to be ready to be done with the craziness [wink] 
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmom
We have 7 shows. Usually split between two weekends but this year it's all in one. One THurs night, one Fri night, then 3 Sat and 2 Sun. Both DDs and DH dance in all 7 shows. The girls have 3 numbers that are in all 7 shows, so on like Sat we're at the venue for 12 straight hours. Fun times.

Does your DH dance with your DD's or is he in adult routines?
NoVamom

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #29 
We have 3 recitals all on one day. My DD is in all 3. Only one dance in each of the early shows, then many dances in the evening show.
dirtchic

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #30 
Our old studio did 4 recitals over 4 days, each recital had different dances with the exception of opening and closing productions. Opening production was the studio's pre-professional dance company and closing production was the entire performing company. Closing production was the only dance the entire company did together.

Our new studio does 2 recitals in 1 day. Each recital is the same and includes all company dances and rec dances. S/D/T do not perform at recital. Some might as filler but only the 'best'.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Our new studio does 2 Shows on Saturday.  The 1pm show is the younger classes, and the evening 2 1/2 hour show is the older kids.  DD10 will be in the evening show. 

we are mostly rec but the Seniors do compete occasionally
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #32 
Dd is at her third studio. 

There were things I loved about both. First studio was a larger comp studio with 3 locations. They had a weekend of shows just for the little ones. Loved that, especially when dd was a little one! They had another weekend of shows for the older dancers. My niece is at that studio and I wish she had moved there earlier so she would be in a little show as they only last about an hour. The big shows can take 4 hours. i am hoping they have tightened them up. But, there are no solos/duo/trios, etc in the recital as this school has few of those. They run it like a Broadway show so there is an actual story line and some singing and acting too. 

Dd's second studio was much simpler. One show that ran maybe 2 hours with 1 intermission. The first act would be all ballet, starting with the tiniest and moving up to the conservatory students. So beautiful to watch the progression. 

New school will be interesting. It's a weekend of 4 shows and is attended by more than the family and friends of the students. There are no little babies as it a ballet school. The youngest are 8 yrs old. There are multiple casts for possibly everything dd is in so it's unlikely she will perform all of her pieces in any one performance and we won't know what she is doing in each until about a week before. Makes it hard to invite people because she can easily have a show where she is only in 1 piece. That happened during Nut. There were 10 shows and she was only in 1 number in a few of them. 
Shaylenek

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #33 
cynmkee "Jeez, I am thanking the heavens that our studio is small.  We are growing fast but I am hoping dd will have graduated out by the time we get anywhere near this big.  The nice thing is that you can see everyone in any particular show...maybe 2 this year.  I can't imagine how stressful recital season must be for everyone involved for your studio.  Get treats...get treats for everyone."

My daughters dance with a ballet studio (one large recital that has a show theme - oldest gets to be Dorothy in Wizard of Oz this year), and they dance with a competition studio but the owner has three locations and selected senior pieces dance at all three.  So we have 4 recital weekends this year.  A total of 9 difference shows.  Have I mentioned I am glad that the oldest is graduating?

For the last few years I have made jello shots and we keep them in the teacher's room for the moms!  Just for the last of the recital weekend though [wink]  For the earlier shows and/or dress rehearsals we learned that you can get the opaque coffee cups with lids and use them for "coffee" (wine) if needed.  Mommy treats are a must.
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Shaylenek - I like how you think! I was just saying to DH that I really like the comp we will be at this weekend, because they are sensible enough to have it in a convention center attached to a full-service hotel with a bar.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Shaylenek, you reminded me of the differences between the boutiques at the 3 schools were dd has had recitals.

School 1- comp school- had things like flowers, little trophies and dolls. Was run by the studio's dancewear store.

School 2- ballet school- sold cookies and other donated snacks and water. Maybe some school T-shirts
            -youth ballet company- sold snacks, all sorts of handmade and other items, raffles, etc. Tons of work and tons of stuff. Several tables.

School 3- ballet school- one table with a few handmade items and snacks.. and wine by the glass! They make far more money with far less stuff. [smile]
dancypants

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #36 
Dds school has a recital, but it is more an afterthought as the spring ballet (this year sleeping beauty) is the real focus. It's one show, maybe 2 hours, all group dances except senior solos (last year 1, this year 1 but she doesn't want to dance alone so DD is with her, lol). I have family who have dance recitals that span days, and are 4 hours long...I couldn't do it, I'd stab someone, even with Mommy Drinks. DD did not start dancing u til she was 11 (now 13) so I guess it is something you get used to?
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #37 
DD opted out of the recital at the comp/rec studio but we are now planning to attend because dd would like to go to support a few friends.  We just found out that recital ticket sales will be done by lottery like last year (families were given 1/2 hour slots to buy tickets based on "lottery" results.)  But, families who register for fall classes and pay August tuition will be allowed to purchase tickets before the lottery times begin.  I know they are having problems retaining students and there are a number of families considering moving to another studio in the fall, but this hardly seems the way to address it.
brightblue

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsmith
DD opted out of the recital at the comp/rec studio but we are now planning to attend because dd would like to go to support a few friends.  We just found out that recital ticket sales will be done by lottery like last year (families were given 1/2 hour slots to buy tickets based on "lottery" results.)  But, families who register for fall classes and pay August tuition will be allowed to purchase tickets before the lottery times begin.  I know they are having problems retaining students and there are a number of families considering moving to another studio in the fall, but this hardly seems the way to address it.

What an odd system. So if you don't get a good draw in the lottery what happens? No tickets? Fewer tickets?
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #39 
They always have a sufficient number of tickets.  During the first day of sales each family can purchase a limited number during their lottery-determined purchase window.  Seating is assigned, and front/center seats always sell first.  After the first day tickets are available in unlimited quantities, first-come, first-served.  Neither show was completely sold out last year, but the auditorium was quite full.  Not sure what the limits will be on the group getting preference for pre-paying August tuition.  Apparently there were families in the past that literally camped out the night before sales, leading to all sorts of issues, so this system was implemented to level the playing field, so to speak.   

Actually, her first studio had an almost identical policy.

The ballet school generally has "festival" seating.  The lobby opens at a certain time and if you get in line first at the auditorium door you can scoot to the front of the auditorium and get a better seat.  "Clara's" family at Nutcracker does get four front row seats reserved for one of the performances.

LeapYear0208

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #40 
We get to purchase up to 4 tickets per show our child/children are in during parent meeting week. After that week is over you can purchase more if necessary. I is open seating, so the earlier you get there, the better seats you will get. I am always a room mom but my husband likes sitting about half way up in the center, so he usually gets perfect seats. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.