Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
twinmommytx

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #1 
6 shows this year.  1 on Friday, 3 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday.  My daughter's team will perform on Saturday and Sunday.  Other DD will perform at a different one on Saturday, but what does it matter anyway because production will open all 6 shows.  Crazy town.
Curandera

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Wow! Why so many shows? Is that because it is a huge studio and to accommodate all the families?  We just have a one two-hour recital.  We are puny!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Wow! 3 in one day could be crazy, depending on how long they are. 

Dd first attended a dance school that had 2 locations. They had more than 1 weekend of shows. My favorite was the show for the little ones. Lasted about an hour. Generally just for ages 8 and under plus a few dances from the junior comp team (ages 10-13ish). I wanted dd to be in that show forever... but unfortunately they did not include the comp kids in that one so she only had a few years in that one. 
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Our previous studio's schedule looked like that.  This year I think we have 3, all on Sat.  Ash will be in all 3.

Her very first comp studio had 7 shows!  There was one Fri night, 4 Sat, and 2 Mon night.  All the shows were about 90 mins, so it wasn't horrible unless you were in all of them!  The 2 Monday shows were company only.  Early show was S/D/T and later show was all groups.  Some company dances also performed during other shows.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Our studio usually has dress rehearsal all day Friday and shows Friday night, Saturday afternoon and Saturday night.  Some of the more advanced group perform in multiple shows and then all other comp numbers including s/d/t perform at least once along with all the rec classes.  Makes for an exhausting couple of days.  Each show is about 3 hours long with the big production at the end.
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We had to do three in one day once.  They split up the comp recital into two shows and the rec show into two shows.  But the comp kids had to do both rec shows and at least one comp recital and they were all at least two hours long with 40% of the dances being in all of the shows.  It was unnecessary and exhausting. 

Our spring ballet is in a couple weeks.  Six shows in two days, the theater is tiny and we have lots of people from the public.  Two of the shows are longer with an intermission and then the children's ballet is about 60 long.  The dance demonstration is always nice and short, about an hour or so.
marabbit

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We only have one recital, but it last about 5 hours.  Seriously 5 hours.  It is the same difference for us, even if she split it into 2 recitals we would be in both, but I have heard complaints every year from rec kids parents about it.  The ones I really feel for are the toddler tumblers who are in a 2 minute routine and their family sits through 5 hours of dancing to see them, plus they are in the backstage for 5 hours.  Some of the parents picked up their kids last year at intermission and brought them back for the finale and daddy/daughter dance at the end and to get their certificates.  Once they get to K age though they are in 2-3 dances each, with combo classes and the like so they usually dance in both halves and don't have the option to leave. 
Jacaranda

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Wow, that is a lot. Our studio does two shows, and they are both on the same day (a matinee and an evening show). All dances are on both shows, they are both the same. And the shows go for 3 1/2 hours.
Beccasmom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curandera
Wow! Why so many shows? Is that because it is a huge studio and to accommodate all the families?  We just have a one two-hour recital.  We are puny!

We are too! OK, so maybe it's closer to 3 hours but it's still just one show.
melissa745

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
We have a pretty large studio, but we have 2 recitals. Both on the same day. Each about 90 minutes long.

Considering each dance is about 2.5 minutes, it's a lot when you add it all up. I can't imagine studios needing more than that!

We don't have s/d/t in the recitals, so maybe that's the difference?
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
We are at a fairly small studio, too, and to eliminate the 4 hour recital, our SO books the venue for 9 hours or whatever it is, and holds 2 shows.  First show is mostly little ones and lasts about 75 minutes.  Second show has everyone else and lasts about 2 1/2 hours.  There will be 4 or 5 comp numbers in the first show and all of them (except solos) in the second show.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Wow!!!    That would suck all the joy out of recitals for me.

We have a small comp team but I would say we have a mid size studio.  We have 1 day of recitals.  1 in the morning and 1 early evening.  Everything performs at our recitals.  All comp numbers ...All company numbers ...all recreational numbers.  Solos and duets/trios are split and only perform at 1 of the recitals.  Usually younger ones in the morning show and the older girls for the evening show.   Evening is a little longer than morning but always under 3 hours. 
Curandera

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
There are a lot of disadvantages of belonging to a small studio that has only one show that is only 2 hours long.  But one advantage is that we see all age groups.  I like seeing the little ones as well as the seniors perform in one show.  I understand how that would be a drain if it was a 4 hour show or even a 3 hour show.  But it's not too tough on the little ones for 2 hours.  We do have an intermission so that little ones can leave, but most stay because they want to see the older girls perform, especially since our older girls often are beloved teacher assistants for the little one and they love to see their "teachers" perform.

(The older girls are there for the whole performance and are sprinkled into the first part of the show as well as take up all of the second half.)

I often feel nostalgic seeing the little ones perform. It feels like it was just a second in time when my 16 year old was one of them.  And when she was younger, it was fun to see the older girls and imagine my dd become a young lady and dancing on stage.
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Ah! That's crazy. We do three shows over two days--all kids in every show except graduating senior solos. They each only get to do one show.
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
We have 3 shows (Friday night; Saturday afternoon & evening).  Recreational kids are split up by the day of the week that they dance.  Tuesdays recreational classes go Friday night, for example; Thursday recreational classes go Saturday afternoon, etc.

Comp kids are in all three shows.  They open all with the big line, and then each competitive group routine goes once in one of the shows; all d/t go once in one of the shows, and each dancer does their solo once in one of the shows.  For the dozen or so kids with more than one solo, the studio picks which one you do.  You don't do them all.

Shows are about 2.5 hours long.  My fav part is when the little ones come out for the first time.  Awwwwww ......I remember way back when ......sooooo cute.  
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #16 
I missed the creative movement and pre-b/t memories.  They didn't start until they were 6 and 8.  It's funny now thinking about the few years all they took was hip hop and my family sat through entire recitals to watch my girls dance ONCE in the same routine together, and comparing it to recital now when they are in an opening number , a closing number, 10 groups , a duet and 2 solos in between. 
Mom2Girls

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2DanceLoves
I missed the creative movement and pre-b/t memories.  They didn't start until they were 6 and 8.  It's funny now thinking about the few years all they took was hip hop and my family sat through entire recitals to watch my girls dance ONCE in the same routine together, and comparing it to recital now when they are in an opening number , a closing number, 10 groups , a duet and 2 solos in between. 

I remember those days when my girls did only one dance each. Recitals are much more fun for me now.

ETA: I missed it for the most part, too. My girls started at 4 and 6 so I got a little of it with my younger one but it went by too quickly.
My2DanceLoves

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2DanceLoves

I remember those days when my girls did only one dance each. Recitals are much more fun for me now.

ETA: I missed it for the most part, too. My girls started at 4 and 6 so I got a little of it with my younger one but it went by too quickly.

EVERY year is going by too quickly!!  [smile]
twinmommytx

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marabbit
We only have one recital, but it last about 5 hours.  Seriously 5 hours.  It is the same difference for us, even if she split it into 2 recitals we would be in both, but I have heard complaints every year from rec kids parents about it.  The ones I really feel for are the toddler tumblers who are in a 2 minute routine and their family sits through 5 hours of dancing to see them, plus they are in the backstage for 5 hours.  Some of the parents picked up their kids last year at intermission and brought them back for the finale and daddy/daughter dance at the end and to get their certificates.  Once they get to K age though they are in 2-3 dances each, with combo classes and the like so they usually dance in both halves and don't have the option to leave. 

The first studio my kids were at did dress rehearsal Saturday morning from 8-1 and then started recital at 2 and it would regularly go on til 8.  You were encouraged to leave after your kid danced because there was no room for everyone.  It was a constant revolving door of people.  It was terrible!
twinmommytx

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #20 
We have a company showcase that same week, too!  So, really 7 recitals.  When we first started at this studio 6 years ago, we had 4 recitals all on a Saturday. (9, 12, 3 and 6) Dress rehearsals were always Thursday and Friday afternoon and evening.  Now, we have dress rehearsals Tuesday aternoon, Wednesday afternoon and night, Thursday afternoon and night and Friday afternoon.  Fortunately we only have to attend 2 dress rehearsals.  A couple of years ago we switched venues to a venue closer to home and added the Friday night show, which is always smaller.  Our studio has continued to grow so they added the 6th show this year and the team showcase is where the company kids are supposed to encourage their family and friends to attend so they don't take up seats for the friends and families of the rec kids.  But, by recital, all of my family has had plenty of opportunity to see DD's comp routines so they just show up for her sister's acro performance.  
Bonbonmama

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #21 
At the old studio the recital was an all day affair, first dress rehearsal of the whole thing then the actual recital after a brief break. Made for a very long, but fun, day. They always spaced little ones in with the big girls. I think the "worst" one was when my 7yo was in number 2 and my 4yo was in the number right before the finale, nothing else.... After that, my oldest was always in at least 2 numbers and in the last few years she was in 4-6 evenly spaced numbers. [smile]
At this studio the recital is about 3-4hrs long and only showcases a select few of the comp routines (we have a separate showcase for all the comp numbers in winter). All classes have their own recital routines, and classes are made up of both company and rec dancers. [smile] This is a fairly small studio. The dances are mixed so that the older girls who are in many dances have time to change costumes. I personally like seeing all of what the studio has to offer, from the super cute preballet kids to the most advanced dancers. [smile]
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #22 
Jeez, I am thanking the heavens that our studio is small.  We are growing fast but I am hoping dd will have graduated out by the time we get anywhere near this big.  The nice thing is that you can see everyone in any particular show...maybe 2 this year.  I can't imagine how stressful recital season must be for everyone involved for your studio.  Get treats...get treats for everyone.
jlm645

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #23 
Ours does one Friday and three Saturday (1, 4, and 7 I think) and it is a well-oiled machine.  Last year was the first year in the studio and I was dreading the week but I was amazed and how smooth the whole process was.
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacaranda
Wow, that is a lot. Our studio does two shows, and they are both on the same day (a matinee and an evening show). All dances are on both shows, they are both the same. And the shows go for 3 1/2 hours.

Ditto. It's a long day but its over all at once. I've done the 5 show thing with dd in all shows at our former studio. I was ready to hurt someone by the time it was over. Lol!
floridamom

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #25 
This is the second (and last) year at the competition studio.  We've opted out of recital.  Last year was two days of the same lineup for almost 4 hours per night.  We were told there wouldn't be competition numbers, but a number were presented.  We were told there would be no solos, duets, etc. but the kids up to about age 8 were background dancers in numbers featuring a few older competition dancers (and SOs' kids.)  DD had 7 dances buried deep in the second act, requiring quick changes (one or two songs) for all but the last number.  The younger kids were mostly in the first two hours.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.