Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,314
Reply with quote  #1 
I just made the down payment for DD12 to go to Bossov Ballet Theatre's summer intensive.  I had actually declined the offer because we thought she was doing the international trip, but there is no way I'm sending her to South Korea when it's such a dangerous time in North Korea right way.  I wasn't comfortable keeping her at her home studio either.  My older daughter loved Bossov and I think DD12 will get good training there - as Heidi says it's a hidden gem - so here we are.

Heidi, I may be PMing you if that's okay!


0
heidi459

Avatar / Picture

Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 5,832
Reply with quote  #2 
Must be nice to finally have that decision behind you.  Won't be long now.  Dd and I were just talking this morning about the crazy summer she has coming up and how it's really just around the corner.  Time is flying by way too fast.

And, yes... feel free to pm me.  I'd look forward to meeting you in person.
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,314
Reply with quote  #3 
She'll probably be flying unaccompanied minor; I just can't afford it, unfortunately.  [frown]

Is your DD excited too?!  Time really is flying by way too fast.  It seems like we just got done with Christmas.
0
heidi459

Avatar / Picture

Diamond Member
Registered:
Posts: 5,832
Reply with quote  #4 
Will you be flying in to pick her up at the end... so you can see the production?  They're doing Giselle this year.  Last year they did Don Q...  it was very impressive.

And yes.. dd is very excited.  She keeps in touch with many of the dancers she met last year and those who are returning (which is quite a few) have an ongoing group chat.  I know she'll have a blast and that she'll come back even stronger.  She was very happy with intensity of the training last year hence her decision to return.  She didn't even audition for any other ballet SI.
0
tendumom

Avatar / Picture

High Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 4,061
Reply with quote  #5 
I'm so glad! I think you've made an excellent decision for her first SI away from home, based on all that I have read about this SI and based on her current training. 
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,314
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Will you be flying in to pick her up at the end... so you can see the production?  They're doing Giselle this year.  Last year they did Don Q...  it was very impressive.

And yes.. dd is very excited.  She keeps in touch with many of the dancers she met last year and those who are returning (which is quite a few) have an ongoing group chat.  I know she'll have a blast and that she'll come back even stronger.  She was very happy with intensity of the training last year hence her decision to return.  She didn't even audition for any other ballet SI.


They did Giselle when my daughter Anna was there too!  I would really like to come; I will have to see how finances are.

That is so nice that your DD keeps in touch with the dancers!  Mine still does with one girl and I'm actually FB friends with the mother LOL.  How neat that they have a group chat they keep going too.  You definitely are making me feel good about this decision to send DD12!
0
Phx115

High Gold Member
Registered:
Posts: 675
Reply with quote  #7 
Congratulations on making the decision!

I'm sure she'll have an incredible experience!
0
jwsqrdplus2

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,891
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
She'll probably be flying unaccompanied minor; I just can't afford it, unfortunately.  [frown]

Is your DD excited too?!  Time really is flying by way too fast.  It seems like we just got done with Christmas.


How old is your daughter?  If she is 12 or older, she can flyer on SWA as a "young flyer" without having to pay the unaccompanied minor fee (can get very expensive on some airlines).  You can still go to the gate with her and have someone (noted by you) on the other end meet her at the gate.  The downside is that she will not be monitored by aircraft staff like an unaccompanied minor will.
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,314
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsqrdplus2


How old is your daughter?  If she is 12 or older, she can flyer on SWA as a "young flyer" without having to pay the unaccompanied minor fee (can get very expensive on some airlines).  You can still go to the gate with her and have someone (noted by you) on the other end meet her at the gate.  The downside is that she will not be monitored by aircraft staff like an unaccompanied minor will.


She is 12.  Since this is her first time I think I would feel more comfortable having her monitored.  It will probably be United which is $150 more.  My husband will be home soon and we'll go through the flight info together then.  Right now the cheapest I've found is $523 before fees plus the $150.
0
PasDeChatMom

High Silver Member
Registered:
Posts: 187
Reply with quote  #10 
Excellent - glad you've got a plan for summer and yes time is certainly flying by!
0
jwsqrdplus2

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,891
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle


She is 12.  Since this is her first time I think I would feel more comfortable having her monitored.  It will probably be United which is $150 more.  My husband will be home soon and we'll go through the flight info together then.  Right now the cheapest I've found is $523 before fees plus the $150.


I do understand that!  Our girls travelled without us a lot when they were younger (curse of the military life style and not living anywhere near the grandparents), so I became quite the expert in unaccompanied minor fares at one point, and they were seasoned solo travelers well before they turned 12.  Remember, the fees are per leg, not roundtrip.  Most airlines require a non-stop or direct (stop but no plane change) for unaccompanied minors.  If your daughter is on a direct, that will double the fee since the trip would count as 2 legs!  Once Ash turned 12 (she is 18 now), we used SW from then on since even her younger sister could travel with her without paying the unaccompanied minor fees.  We just followed the same basic guidelines: non-stop/direct flight early in the day.  Younger DD (15) just came home from a solo trip that required her to actually change planes on the return leg (I think she had to go 1 or 2 gates down from where she landed to get her connection).  Good luck finding airfare.  Sometimes I think that is the most stressful part of traveling!
0
joriebelle

Avatar / Picture

Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,314
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsqrdplus2


I do understand that!  Our girls travelled without us a lot when they were younger (curse of the military life style and not living anywhere near the grandparents), so I became quite the expert in unaccompanied minor fares at one point, and they were seasoned solo travelers well before they turned 12.  Remember, the fees are per leg, not roundtrip.  Most airlines require a non-stop or direct (stop but no plane change) for unaccompanied minors.  If your daughter is on a direct, that will double the fee since the trip would count as 2 legs!  Once Ash turned 12 (she is 18 now), we used SW from then on since even her younger sister could travel with her without paying the unaccompanied minor fees.  We just followed the same basic guidelines: non-stop/direct flight early in the day.  Younger DD (15) just came home from a solo trip that required her to actually change planes on the return leg (I think she had to go 1 or 2 gates down from where she landed to get her connection).  Good luck finding airfare.  Sometimes I think that is the most stressful part of traveling!


We didn't have good luck finding airfare but we did book it LOL!  This is her first time traveling alone so I wanted to pay for the unaccompanied minor even though it was for each way.  So that was $150 each way plus $633 for the ticket.  If she goes next year at age 13 we'll try to fly SW if they go there.  Whatcha gonna do, ya know?!
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: