Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
AnnaBeav

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
How do you clean your kid's tights? My DD (age 8) has such dirty feet on her tights. It is like they are permanently grey. I have tried stain spray and soaking them but they don't look clean. 

Any tips? 
JulieDB

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
How are they getting so dirty? I used to make my daughter carry wipes in her dance bag. That way if her feet got dirty from being barefoot or wearing foot thongs, she could clean them before putting her tights on. I don't remember her having dirty tight feet but she was complaining that her feet would get dirty.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
You can't see the bottoms when they are in shoes.  This happens to everyone.  My solution?  Buy more tights.  They are only $6 a pair.  My daughter has so many now that I tell her if she wants new ones she has to give me a dirty pair to throw away for each pair of new ones.  They are a minimal expense compared to everything else we pay for in dance.
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Grey feet on pink tights? Yup! Class tights get pretty beat up, but can only get so bad before getting tossed due to a run or two.

They wear new tights for performances.
DanceTumbleCheerMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Rub the feet with original blue dawn dish soap before you launder them.   I used the professional strength that I get at Sams or Costco because of my husbands oily laundry.  It works wonders on the feet of tights.    
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Just keep in mind that there is a difference between dirty and stained.  If they've been through the wash with detergent... they're clean.  At least in my book.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.  No one is looking at the bottom of their feet[smile]
Midge

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Scrubbing them with a toothbrush and Fels Naptha helps a little.  DD's get very dirty from rosin- she puts in on her heels to keep her pointe shoes from popping off.
RebelSwan

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle
Buy more tights.  They are only $6 a pair. 

OMG, I need to know where do you you get tights for $6?  Our walk in dance store brands are over $20 CDN.  The last Bloch convertibles were I believe $26! 

I would maybe be able to toss a few of the tap-shoe-stained tights if I knew your secret!!!!
AnnaBeav

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDB
How are they getting so dirty? I used to make my daughter carry wipes in her dance bag. That way if her feet got dirty from being barefoot or wearing foot thongs, she could clean them before putting her tights on. I don't remember her having dirty tight feet but she was complaining that her feet would get dirty.

So the dirtiness comes from the outside of the tights. It looks like she was wearing black shoes but all she is wearing are the pink ballet shoes. It is mainly concentrated at the toes and heels.
AnnaBeav

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave9988
Grey feet on pink tights? Yup! Class tights get pretty beat up, but can only get so bad before getting tossed due to a run or two. They wear new tights for performances.

I just wish there was one side that was clean - I think the black/grey stains are distracting since you can see them even when she is wearing ballet shoes.
AnnaBeav

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi459
Just keep in mind that there is a difference between dirty and stained.  If they've been through the wash with detergent... they're clean.  At least in my book.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.  No one is looking at the bottom of their feet[smile]

That is the thing, when she puts the tights on again you can see the stain on the tops of her feet. I know if they are clean it should not bother me she certainly doesn't care at her age.
ggsmith

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #12 
allaboutdance.com puts their theatrical brand tights on sale a couple times a year.  We've had great luck with them and the adult sizes run as low as $5 or $6 a pair when they are on sale, and are pretty reasonable even when they aren't on sale.  Sometimes I throw in a pair or two to get the total up to the free shipping amount.  I would rather buy tights than pay for shipping.  

I have no connection to allaboutdance.com but I love them and always go there first.  They have free return shipping, so I have been known to order a few things and return the ones that don't fit or work well.  Also, they work with swagbucks, one of the online shopping sites, so that I earn points for every dollar I spend there that can be redeemed for gift cards.  Every little bit helps...
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
As girls get older, they start wearing the convertible tights pulled up and don't even put them on their feet.  Or they cut them.  So later, only their feet get
dirty(ier).  I know some studios have dress codes where kids are not supposed to do this, but most do it from time to time and when they can get away with it.  
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDB

Not dirty but stained.  Tap shoes will do that for sure.  DD's studio has a marley.  She mostly dances in socks and her socks are always black after class.
Midge

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Grime does seem to get ingrained inside most shoes.

ScottishDanceMum

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #16 

I used to use Fantastik spray on my old nursing uniforms... it got out EVERYTHING.  A spray before washing them, and voila... clean uniform.  I was always afraid it would eat the fabric, but it was amazing.  I live in the UK now and we don't have anything over here that works as well (Vanish Spray is pretty good, but Fantastik was a downright miracle worker).

Just in case they changed the formula, try it on one pair of tights and see how it works.

joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelSwan

OMG, I need to know where do you you get tights for $6?  Our walk in dance store brands are over $20 CDN.  The last Bloch convertibles were I believe $26! 

I would maybe be able to toss a few of the tap-shoe-stained tights if I knew your secret!!!!

These are the last ones I bought.  I had her try them before I bought more and she liked them and the best part is that they're cheap LOL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Girls-Pink-Convertible-Dance-Ballet-Tights-Transition-Child-Sizes-SC-MC-LC/201750060372?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=501745612280&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
RebelSwan

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #18 
My luck... the first thing I see on the listing is in red "Does not ship to Canada".  I'll snoop around for the brand elsewhere though.  Thanks!
Btfdmom

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #19 
http://www.dancewearonline.ca/tights-undergarments/capezio-1916x/1916c/1916-ultra-soft-transition-tights/

Not $6, but way less than what you are paying and right here in Canada, so you don't need to worry about duty.
elastigal

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Don't know how good they are but Inspirations Dancewear out of Kitchener, ON has house brand footed tights at reasonable prices - on sale right now too: https://www.inspirationsdancewear.com/collections/full-footed

Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #21 
We buy bloch adaptatoe and even with the nasty floor of the last studio my girl's are never dirty under the foot, knees yes, but it just washes out. My girl is not allowed to walk in her tights. The rule was so she doesn't snag them, but it also keeps them clean.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: