Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
lblacksten

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
What are your tried and true ways to refresh those costumes that have been to several competitions?  Especially those delicate ones with lots of lace, sequins and crystals?
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Spray (mist) with potato vodka.
dancer1234

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My one my daughter's costume just stinks with BO.. I tried Fabreeze and just didn't work, so tried a mist of vodka, it lessened the Stink, but it is still faintly there.  I did a 50% vodka and 50% water spray.  I might try  100% vodka next time.
joriebelle

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancer1234
My one my daughter's costume just stinks with BO.. I tried Fabreeze and just didn't work, so tried a mist of vodka, it lessened the Stink, but it is still faintly there.  I did a 50% vodka and 50% water spray.  I might try  100% vodka next time.

Wow I have never heard this before; do tell more!
dancer1234

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joriebelle

Wow I have never heard this before; do tell more!

I googled around when Febreeze did not work to remove the Stink.  Several Life hacks or tips on taking a small spray bottle and mixing 50% vodka and water as a deodorizer for fabrics.  It seems to work.. It does not remove it completely, but worth a shot
dave9988

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancer1234

I googled around when Febreeze did not work to remove the Stink.  Several Life hacks or tips on taking a small spray bottle and mixing 50% vodka and water as a deodorizer for fabrics.  It seems to work.. It does not remove it completely, but worth a shot

No pun intended. 

Our local ballet company is partial to potato vodka for this purpose.  I do not recall why.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
http://bkaccelerator.com/8-ways-remove-odors-clothes-without-washing/
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I try to wash if at all possible even if it's to hand wash. Most costume materials are stronger than they look. Unless the items were custom dyed and the dye wasn't set with soda ash, it should be able to be washed. Silk is an exception, but it as well as other materials that shouldn't get wet at all aren't typically used for competition costumes. Stones should be hotfixed or glued on with an industrial glue like e6000 and should not come off in the wash. Things with feathers can be trickier, but most feathers can be washed too, just be delicate when swishing them around as to not pull them off the stem. Chandelle boa feathers cannot be wrung or twisted as they will come out of the strings holding them together. I use woolite for most items. If they have feathers I use a down cleaner. 
emcandance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingemu
I try to wash if at all possible even if it's to hand wash. Most costume materials are stronger than they look. Unless the items were custom dyed and the dye wasn't set with soda ash, it should be able to be washed. Silk is an exception, but it as well as other materials that shouldn't get wet at all aren't typically used for competition costumes. Stones should be hotfixed or glued on with an industrial glue like e6000 and should not come off in the wash. Things with feathers can be trickier, but most feathers can be washed too, just be delicate when swishing them around as to not pull them off the stem. Chandelle boa feathers cannot be wrung or twisted as they will come out of the strings holding them together. I use woolite for most items. If they have feathers I use a down cleaner. 

Same here and lay on a drying rack. Smell and look like new.
prancer

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
I promise I don't sell this, but I will recommend Odor Zapper again.  I have mentioned it before for shoe stink. Dd just got her high school dance uniform (different girls wear a uniform over the years) which is made of something like heavy under armor material and it is stinky under the the arms despite best efforts to clean and deodorize.  So, I turned it inside out and sprayed the Odor Zapper where the smell was.  It took two applications, but I think the stink is out.  (but if it comes back I will try potato vodka!)

https://www.shopstarquestdance.com/collections/accessories/products/odor-zapper 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.