Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
compmom123

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Dd16 currently goes to a boarding school in Connecticut and after much soul searching decided that she would like to go to a more ballet based school in the hopes of a professional career. She has been accepted to interlochen but has not heard back from walnut hill yet. Does anyone have any experiences with the caliber of either school in terms of dance or academics???? Any insight would be ver very helpful!!!
meatball77

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Iterlochen is more modern and Walnut Hill is more ballet.
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
In a nutshell, exactly what meatball77 said. 

Not sure if they list where alumni end up on their websites, but you will definitely find more Walnut Hill dancers with professional ballet careers than Interlochen ballet dancers. 

Did she also consider Nutmeg? Or is that where she already is in CT? It just comes to mind as another choice when Walnut Hill is mentioned. 
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
DD14's teacher/mentor went to Interlochen and she is far more accomplished in modern, although very well trained classically too. She wanted us to send DD there and it's not really what we are looking for. She also said the academics at the time were not very  DD did the audition for Nutmeg and loved it. The teacher was very good and I enjoyed her interaction with us as parents as well. No first hand experience for Walnut Hill, but I know some members here have some!
heidi459

Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #5 
It does seem that WH has a strong reputation but I can tell you that among locals that reputation is often a bit of a head scratcher.  Not trying to be a Negative Nelly... I know it's a contradiction... but I do think it's worth mentioning.  I know many who've done their SI (my dd included)... dancers who go/have gone to the year round program... dancers who've attended their performances (Nutcracker etc.).... people familiar w/the faculty. If your dd is looking for a high quality academic experience wrapped up with a fairly solid program of dance, it's probably a decent choice.  If, however, she's looking the highest quality of ballet training in the hopes that it will push her to her full potential wrapped up with strong academics, I'm really not so sure WH would be the best choice.  Just my 2 cents based on what I've come to know.
KB

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
I have friends who went to Interlochen for their last few years of high school and they were both able, after graduation, to get accepted to and graduate from great colleges. Not Ivies, but state flagship type, well known universities with acceptance rates in the 20s or so.

Neither were dance majors at Interlochen. One went on to med school and is a doctor, the other has an established career in musical theater and is reasonably successful (repertory theater, national tours, recent stint on Broadway and cast in a second Broadway show opening soon.)

So I can't speak to anything about the dancing but it certainly seems like Interlochen did well by both of them academically.
5678StarMom

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5678StarMom
DD14's teacher/mentor went to Interlochen and she is far more accomplished in modern, although very well trained classically too. She wanted us to send DD there and it's not really what we are looking for. She also said the academics at the time were not very  DD did the audition for Nutmeg and loved it. The teacher was very good and I enjoyed her interaction with us as parents as well. No first hand experience for Walnut Hill, but I know some members here have some!

The teacher I know went on to graduate with a BFA in choreography from a private college on full scholarship.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: