Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
DanceFan2011

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Can anyone give me some insight on vocal solos? We are thinking of doing one next season. Thanks in advance.
DanceFan2011

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I may have used the wrong term. It would be singing and dancing.
Suzit42

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Can I ask which country you are from? I think it's different in the US, Canada and Australia. I am in the US. In my seven years of being a dance mom, I have seen one Song and Dance solo and three vocal solos. The song and dance solo did pretty well. I think it placed in the overalls. The vocal solos I saw all received the highest adjudication, and they were gifts. Because singing is not very common at comps in our area, I don't think comps necessarily have judges with any music background. My DD17, sings in her HS choir and in a local musical. We toyed with the idea of bringing her vocal solos to a comp, but decided against it.
Mamala

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
at the comps we go to there is a category for vocal or song and dance. You dont see many competing in that category though. To be honest with you, I really dont like having that category at all. At a dance competition I dont think it makes sense to try and compare someone singing with someone dancing and then judge them against each other. My DD was annoyed at our last competition that a girl doing a vocal performance placed pretty high. She said "this is supposed to be a dance competition." The girl did a really cutesy type of musical theatre song and I think it was very entertaining and probably a nice break for the judges watching dance after dance after dance. Maybe that's why it scored so high, but it doesnt seem right to judge apples against oranges in my opinion.
crafty1

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
ETA: We are in the Chicago area.

Both of my daughters did vocal solos one year at 5 comps. They had light choreography - just some basic movement as they sang. It was fine, but before I actually recommend it, I have a question for you. What are your goals for the solo? Are you just trying to get a medium-skilled dancer a trophy (which is fine, not judging), or are you trying to get them additional practice performing vocally in front of an audience?

The reason I ask is that most of the judges are not qualified to judge pure vocals. My oldest daughter has an extremely advanced voice - 4 octave range and sings opera, although she prefers Broadway tunes (sang as an 18 year old). The best she ever got was the second highest adjudication (think high gold instead of platinum). Youngest got gold or high gold. One comp had a separate vocal category with its own overalls, so it was not judged against dance numbers. We were trying to get them both comfortable with singing alone on stage and being judged, not trying to get them into overalls, so it accomplished what we wanted. 

As for the song and dance category, most dance comps offer this. However, you must use the microphone which they provide. The mic in each comp we attended had a cord. That totally limits the movements of a dancer. We were originally going to have our younger daughter compete in song and dance, but she would have had to hold a mic which had a cord the entire time. Try even doing a turn holding a mic with a cord. Nope. Go to each comp's website and look at their rules - they spell it out. My poor girls had to sing at a competition that did not allow the vocal category in any way, so they were singing with their music, but with no mic at all. The SO got overly enthusiastic and registered them in the "Other" category and did not read through the rules. Pretty expensive practice with projecting their voices.

The best part for us was the reaction of most of the other dancers who saw them perform their vocals. Both of my girls were recognized as they walked around the comps and were congratulated, high-fived, and even hugged by random strangers. Yes, there were grumblings in the audience by some of the parents, because they felt that vocal solos don't belong there, but there were also the ones who would say, "A vocal solo? Cool!"

So, if you want simply for your child to get experience singing in front of an audience, go for it. I do recommend it, depending on what you want to accomplish. Feel free to pm me with any other specific questions.
DanceFan2011

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for all the responses. We are in the U.S. Daughter loves to dance and sing, so thought it would be fun to try it once. It wouldn't be until next year so she has a lot of time to think about it.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #7 
We are in Canada so it may be a little different.  Our studio does both song and dance and straight vocal.  At our comps most of the judges are performers who sing as well as dance and act.  Our numbers (both song and dance and vocal) have always scored the highest adjudication and made the overalls.  DS loved that part of performing.  I say if she wants to try it then do it and have fun with it.
theyarg

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Of all the comps we have been to, Access Broadway is the only one I would recommend spending the money for.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: