Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
My sister just sent me a blurb from one of her health websites she peruses (we are old now...that is what we do.)

Optimized levels of Vitamin D can maximize athletic prowess and prevent injury. In a study from earlier this year, sports scientists monitored the impact of Vitamin D levels on measures of explosive strength and injury prevention. They provided 17 elite classical ballet dancers with an oral supplement of vitamin D (2000 IU per day) and compared them against 7 ballet dancers who were not taking the supplement. Researchers discovered that the group that took the 2000 IU supplement improved their isometric strength by 18.7% and vertical jump by 7.1% [2]. Furthermore, this group also experienced significantly fewer injuries than the group that did not take the supplement during the study period.

Angel2228

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I am a huge supporter of vitamin D supplements. My son takes them for his alopecia. He was a bald four year old, and after 6 years of taking vitamin D, his hair has pretty much all grown back and stayed. I never thought about giving them to my DD for strength. Right now she has a tight muscle affecting her knee, and a bottle of vitamin d on my counter... Thanks for the tip, will try it out [smile]
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Both my 10 year old and 14 year old had blood work done at their annual physical this year. Both tested low for their vitamin D levels. Our pediatrician said to give them 1000IU per day. They make them in the gummy version which is great as neither one is good with swallowing pills.
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
This is very interesting - thanks for sharing!
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Hmmm...you know, my dd13 is not a great milk drinker, nor does she like OJ, so doing the OJ with D and calcium doesn't work either.  I've heard that vitamin D deficiency can cause quite a few problems.  Especially for those of us in the shades of grey from Oct to May northern states -- like Michgian -- HA!

I think I'll talk to her pediatrician about supplements at next appt.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Our Pediatrician actually said vitamin D deficiency is quite common. My girls aren't big milk drinkers but do like cheese(well, one of them does) and eggs. Oldest dd is fair skinned and younger dd has vitiligo so while I don't keep them out of the sun, sun exposure is limited and sun block liberally applied. Younger dd is checked for other deficiencies as well that are common to her autoimmune issues.
mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My gymnast son is vitamin D deficient. We had him tested for Mono because he was showing all the signs. Turned out to be vitamin D. He has been on supplements for two weeks now and it has made a world of deference.. 
kmpmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
DD saw her pediatrician at Christmas and he recommended she start at daily adult multi-vitamin, and supplement it with extra B12 and D.  This is because a) she's 14 now and hormones are actually robbing her body of some of what it should get (not to mention her period doing like-wise); b) she's not the world best eater and this will help fill in the missing gaps; c) we live in a northern climate (vitamin D), and finally d) she's heavily muscled, especially in the lower body and like all dancers, extremely active.  This apparently affects the way and rate at which some vitamins are absorbed/used.  Concurrently, he ran a battery of blood tests on her.  The results backed up his recommendation about a multi-vitamin, B12 and D.

btw, did you know that B12 will also help their sleep rhythms?  
cfdancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
Our pediatrician has been advocating for Vitamin D supplements since the kids were babies. She says it is necessary for northern climates especially. We started with drops when I was breast feeding them, and it continued from there. I thought it was just about calcium absorption but it is good to know the other benefits.

Vitamin B12 may be what I need. I feel like the older I get the more irregular my sleep rhythms seem!
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
We started our run of vitamin D a couple of days ago.  I wonder how long it will take to feel different?  I wonder if we will be able to tell?
mom2rb

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #11 
It only took my son a few days. In fact after a week, he forgot to take it before school and he was calling me to have me bring to him.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I just read that you should never take Vitamin D at night because it messes with your melatonin production and also disrupts your REM sleep.  I wonder if that is true.
Mittenmom3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIN'SMA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoesx2
Both my 10 year old and 14 year old had blood work done at their annual physical this year. Both tested low for their vitamin D levels. Our pediatrician said to give them 1000IU per day. They make them in the gummy version which is great as neither one is good with swallowing pills.

I got a call from my doctor after I had my annual bloodwork done this year....he told me to take 1000IU of Vitamin D a day as well....I asked what he thought the issue might be , & he said that Vitamin D deficiency is very common in women my age ( ouch...first time I ever heard that)....I've been taking a multiple-vitamin forever & drink milk , so Moms, maybe a good idea to talk to your Doctor & see if they think you might need it as well ?

But I am also curious... Is a Vitamin D level standard on blood tests now ... Is it new? I don't recall ever discussing it with my Doctor before ( but maybe it 's due to my age) ?

It's becoming more standard these days. Seems like there's been more research done on the effects of vitamin D deficiency. I know that my neighbors dd, early 20s at the time, had just a terrible time with an unexplained general malaise. They tested for the usual suspects and it turned out to be vitamin D deficiency. A month later on supplements and she was a new person.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee
I just read that you should never take Vitamin D at night because it messes with your melatonin production and also disrupts your REM sleep.  I wonder if that is true.

I have a vitamin D deficiency and have been taking supplements for years.  I always take them at night with my other meds and never had an issue with sleep.
dancemonkaymom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Vitamin D deficiency is very common nowadays since the levels for normal levels have changed, now everyone I know, (middle age women) is deficient. Living in Florida I find it very hard to believe that I am deficient in vitamin D which also comes from the sun.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmckee

I have a vitamin D deficiency and have been taking supplements for years.  I always take them at night with my other meds and never had an issue with sleep.

That's good to know...since it is a 50/50 shot if we will remember to take them in the morning.
Babz77

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancemonkaymom
Vitamin D deficiency is very common nowadays since the levels for normal levels have changed, now everyone I know, (middle age women) is deficient. Living in Florida I find it very hard to believe that I am deficient in vitamin D which also comes from the sun.

Sunscreen is also a factor. While it's a wonderful thing and I use it almost daily living in Southern California, it keeps your from absorbing vit D from the sun. I try and get some sunscreen free time in the sun safe hours.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Starquest posted an article on their FB page and found this paragraph about dancers/athletes and low D levels.

Staying Indoors
Trainers at some UK soccer teams hand out monthly vitamin D supplements. And those players train outdoors, where their bodies are exposed to sunlight, the best source of vitamin D available. Among dancers, who train indoors, low blood levels of vitamin D are rampant. A UK-based team of physicians and researchers have shown that elite dancers who supplement their vitamin D in winter months retain greater isometric strength and vertical jump capacity, and lower their risk of soft tissue injury. Participating researcher Dr. Roger Wolman, a rheumatologist at the Royal National Orthopedic Hospital in London, says, “It could be an indirect effect, with vitamin D helping our muscles use the calcium and phosphates delivered in our foods. Without enough D, these nutrients are partially lost.” Since it’s hard to overdose on D—not a true vitamin, but a hormone—most dancers can safely take 1,000 IUs of D3 a day, especially from September through March.

- See more at: http://www.dancemagazine.com/issues/August-2014/Your-body-secret-saboteurs#sthash.1FAwcMT9.dpuf
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
It's been a couple of weeks since we started 2000 a day and we both think we are feeling noticeably better.  Not as tired.  It has had enough of a difference that the girl asks for them if I don't remember and that is a pretty big thing.
magzlili

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Great info here. I was just wondering if dd should be taking D, but thought that was just an adult issue.
csdancemom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
Interesting and timely. My DD just had a complete blood count done and she came back deficient in Vitamin D and B12. She is a started college in NY last September after living in sunny Colorado her whole life. I never would have guessed at these deficiencies and the symptoms they can cause. Vitamin care package is being shipped tomorrow!
magzlili

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #22 
I. was getting very nauseous when I first started taking vitamin D. My doctor told me that it wasn't the vitamin D that was making me feel badly. It was the gel for the gel caps. Now I take a regular pill and can even take it on an empty stomach with out feeling sick.
emcandance

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #23 
This has been very interesting.  I love to hear how it is working for some of you.  I think it is worth trying out since we are up north and my DD is so fair skinned. 
Charade

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #24 
I just switched to a new doctor and had bloodwork done. My vitamin D levels are very low. I am starting on supplements today.
cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #25 
Bringing this back up again.  My dd and I have been taking supplements.  I just had blood tests last week and my Vitamin D was still super duper low.  So bad that the Dr has prescribed prescription vitamin D (massive doses) to try and get it back up.  And...I live in Denver which is closer to the sun than almost all of the US.  Next time everyone gets blood tests, make sure they are testing your Vit D levels.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.