Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
momoftinydancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #1 
What happens if you don't pick it up? My daughter went full out the whole weekend and she was exhausted when it ended. She just wanted to go home and we didn't stay for the closing show. During auditions, she made it to the 2nd round, but wasn't picked for the 3rd round (MVA runner up). 2 different moms told me that they heard her first name, but didn't know her number, so no one accepted the scholarship. She has a common name, so it could've been another kid. What do they do with scholarships that are not picked up? IF it is hers, do we just lose out or do they mail it to the studio?
jule425

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Have you checked their website to see if her name is listed? They get a tee-shirt with an envelope that contains a congratulations note, no actual scholarship at Velocity. Usually, with conventions, there is a way at registration to indicate that your child won a scholarship.
momoftinydancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jule425
Have you checked their website to see if her name is listed? They get a tee-shirt with an envelope that contains a congratulations note, no actual scholarship at Velocity. Usually, with conventions, there is a way at registration to indicate that your child won a scholarship.

I checked, but they haven’t listed them yet. Looks like it takes about 2 weeks (the last one that had the list is from 2 weeks ago).

So, if she got one, her name would be listed, right?Is it just in their system to be used for the future? She said she will stay from now on. LOL! We have 24 seven next weekend and she wants to stay for the closing show.
momoftinydancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:

If she did get one, she won’t lose it will she? Since she didn’t pick it up?
prancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #5 
Our SO picked one up for us before. It shouldn’t matter if you were there to get the paper. The convention should have a record that she received an award. You can ask your SO, wait for the list, or contact the convention. You would not be the first to leave.
jule425

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftinydancer

If she did get one, she won’t lose it will she? Since she didn’t pick it up?
w

I wouldn't think so. I know we've had other kids pick up scholarships when we've traveled out of town and their parents just want to get back.

My daughter got a MVP runner up and the list has her name and studio on the list for her city.
momoftinydancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
Our SO picked one up for us before. It shouldn’t matter if you were there to get the paper. The convention should have a record that she received an award. You can ask your SO, wait for the list, or contact the convention. You would not be the first to leave.

Thanks! Our SO was there, but when our kids asked yesterday who got them, she said she didn't know. Ugh!

Another mom said that if was different from the BTF events. At Velocity, they called them up on stage by number and handed them out by first name only. So, no one knew who it was for if they didn't pick it up. I thought our SO would just go to the table and ask, but she didn't.
kyrical2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
We skipped awards once, and my DD won a class scholarship.  They just mailed it to us.  I wouldn't worry.  [smile]
momoftinydancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
w I wouldn't think so. I know we've had other kids pick up scholarships when we've traveled out of town and their parents just want to get back. My daughter got a MVP runner up and the list has her name and studio on the list for her city.

I'm just going to wait for the list. Our SO didn't pick anything up. She told the kids she didn't know who got them if they weren't there because they only called out numbers and first names. Looking at their website, I see they have DeMoines, IA (3/23-3/25), but not Vancouver the week before. Hopefully, they post ours soon (Houston, TX this past weekend). I should have just made her stay. Lesson learned.
prancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #10 
Waiting for the list is a fine plan. Too bad the SO didn’t check. We always wait now after missing the first time. But since she was good enough to be recognized once, odds are she will be recognized again - hopefully making the wait feel worthwhile!
momoftinydancer

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
Waiting for the list is a fine plan. Too bad the SO didn’t check. We always wait now after missing the first time. But since she was good enough to be recognized once, odds are she will be recognized again - hopefully making the wait feel worthwhile!

I know, I wish she would've checked and wish we would've stayed. She was just so exhausted and wanted to go home. She takes conventions seriously and really wants to learn.

I've read that they pick scholarships from the auditions, she did get called back once, if I had known that's how they get them, I would have made her stay. She's received scholarships before and even was a VIP runner up for JUMP this year, so from now on, we will stay no matter what. LOL!
DanceMommy2Riley

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I suggest contacting the convention. They will have all the scholarship winners on file and will find a way to get it to you. Congrats to your DD, btw! Winning a scholarship is so exciting! [biggrin]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.