Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
ScottishDanceMum

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 

I saw some practical ideas for DIY dance competition bags.  Things like the Dream Duffel, etc are hard to come by over here, so I thought I'd try to tackle making my own as I'm pretty handy.

I thought I'd use a huge old wheeled suitcase that I thought was residing in my attic, but I see it's no longer there.  It was only used once or twice as it was too large to be practical on flights (once full, it would be way over the weight limit).  I thought the suitcase might work as my daughter has a tutu as well that needs to be kept fairly flat (it's in a flat tutu bag).

But as it's not there, I thought perhaps a wheeled duffel would be fine instead.  

What do you all think?  I was going to ask friends and family if they had an old suitcase, but do you think a duffel would be sufficient?

Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #2 
https://dancebaginstructions.wordpress.com/2015/03/14/how-to-make-your-own-rolling-dance-bag-with-garment-rack/
ScottishDanceMum

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Julie [smile]   That's one of the pages I found - as well as a link that brought me back here with a photo of a suitcase with a rack in it.  I'm just deliberating... trying to find the best options.  
Julieg

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Honestly, I hate our Dream Duffle.  I prefer a clear plastic tub.  Except some of our comps are at a convention center that is on a hillside and all the free parking is an uphill walk after the comp.  That tub can get pretty heavy.
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Before getting our dream duffel, I made one from a duffel bag.  It lasted a year. It could handle her competition costume because she only had one that year but the rack part couldn't hold up under her recital costumes.  I bought the dream duffel last year and love it; there's no way my homemade one would have held up under this year's competition costumes as she has 6 now.  I also use a rolling stanley which I really don't need but can't  bring myself to leave behind.
elastigal

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
This year we're using a new expanding suitcase I bought DD for Xmas (25" model) and we have a homemade pvc rack that we will use with it. This year the rack will not get much use. For company showcase tonight the theatre has racks in the changerooms for hanging things so it will not get any use; and it will get used for only 1 of her 4 full team comps which is at a  hotel as the other three are in theatres that have fantastic changerooms with racks and closets. It will get used again for year end recital like last year when DD had 6 costumes and it held up great. I think you really need to know where you are competing to know if having that rack in a DD will come in handy or not. For me I couldn't justify spending the money on a DD or Rack'n'Roll this year when I knew the rack wouldn't get used - the suitcase I bought is a cool animal print with a hot pink interior which DD loves (doesn't look like anybody's else's dance bag).
beachgirl

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I have a small Dream Duffel that I used to use all the time. But it is still so big! I have now gone to a simple carry-on suitcase because DD's dances are always spread out over the 3-day weekend, so I never need all her costumes on one day and the small Dream Duffel is just too big. The carry-on size works great! 
My3girls357

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I made 3 (one for each dance daughter). I bought a garment rack and Olympia duffel bag off Amazon- then followed these YouTube instructions- super easy and works great- my girls can assemble and take down (youngest one 6). You can choose the size of the duffel, 29" was a good size holds approx 8-10 costumes depending on the costumes.

You tube instructions:

Amazon links:
Rolling duffel;
Olympia Luggage 29" 8 Pocket Rolling Duffel Bag, Navy, One Size

Garment rack:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00144Q230/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xf5Syb66Q5V1W

Whitmor 6021-3079 Ebony Chrome Collection Adjustable Garment Rack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087VGH06/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fg5SybXJECYEX
ScottishDanceMum

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #9 

Thanks everyone!

I bought a zebra print rolling duffel (34") and a double garment rack (on sale for £6!), plus some blue zipper pockets to hang.  I also found some short garment bags and got some blue tape so I can make external pockets for all the little extras (head pieces, etc) on the bags.  I'll post pictures when everything is put together!

We've not been to a competition before, and I'm not sure if this is the "done thing" here in Scotland, but at least everything will have it's place and it's a fun project.  Plus it will be handy to have a place to keep all her gear together in one place here in the house, rather than have it scattered all over the place!

Thanks for the advice, and I'll post photos once it's done [smile]

lblacksten

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
My husband made one for my daughter from a plan on Pinterest.  $34 duffle on sale from Belks (good quality) and $10 PVC pipe.  It has lasted 2 years, holds at least 9 costumes, has traveled state to state for 20+ competitions and is still doing great!!
amandafarris03

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I made ours - 
I love that she can spot it from a distance and it doesn't blend in with other bags.  This bag I bought on black Friday for $20 (she had a much smaller bag the last 7 years and it was time for an upgrade) the pvc pipe was less than $20 for all the pieces. 
 [image] 
Dancingemu

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #12 
I prefer the harder edged ones and personally would make the poles either coming out the top or the option to do the top or when laying down if more room is needed. The hard sides, imo, protects the items inside better from being smushed.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: