Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Oceanwalker

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,

I just heard about USC Glorya Kaufman School of Dance (in LA), which looks very interesting (and new).  Does anyone have any information on this school/program or has anyone visited?  Thanks for any info!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Very new! Is the building even open yet? I did not realize that they even had their first class yet. 
Oceanwalker

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Yes!  They are well underway into their first year with a full class!  The building looks beautiful.  I am unfamiliar with USC..other than it is in LA near the convention center.  It looks like they have a BFA Dance Program and minor in dance.  Very curious!  [smile]
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I have a few family members who are USC grads and was following the early information as it came out, but really had not heard anything more recently... which is why I thought the new building wasn't even done yet. So, I went off and did a search.. the new building should be open by fall 2016. It sounds like an exciting place to be... the kind of program my dd would like- strong in classical ballet AND modern and requiring other dance genres as well. If it turns out to be what it sounds like on paper, and if the talent is there, it will be a program to reckon with. I would definitely look at this one closely. If you go visit, let us know!! I have not looked, but maybe there is someone on College Confidential with first hand info. 

USC is a pricey, private school with excellent academics. It's a big school with tons of graduate programs as well- med school, film school, law school, etc. Lots of research dollars in many fields which is nice because it is well funded. I know when my family members attended, they were able to get a nice amount of financial aid in the form of scholarship of money. 
ballerinamom13

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I walked by the building last week when I was in L.A. for work.  It's beautiful from the outside.
camercad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We are also carefully watching the development of this program. I could see USC as easily being on DD's college list.
whitsmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My senior just applied, so we will see if she gets an invite to audition...
Oceanwalker

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Thank you all and best to those applying!  We are watching the program, too.  Any info we find out or vice versa would be great!  Thanks!
whitsmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
DD and her friends all received an invitation to audition on January 16 and 17.   
Oceanwalker

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Wonderful, whitsmom!!!  That's fabulous!  Are you west coast?
whitsmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Dallas, Texas actually. 
Oceanwalker

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
DS, junior, will possibly be looking at SMU, in your neck of the woods!
whitsmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Awesome!  SMU is a great program.
Oceanwalker

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #14 
@whitsmom merde to your DD at USC this weekend!!! We are planning the road trips to see colleges this spring...We are hoping to see USC in the spring!
JojosDanceMom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I know of a couple of extremely talented dancers who are interested in that program. From what I hear it's their top choice. These are dancers who can pretty much write their own ticket to any of the top dance colleges in the country. So if this program is just starting it seems like it's starting pretty strong!
whitsmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Thank you!  She is flying out tonight with auditions tomorrow.  Then to NYC to rehearse with Complexions and then to MI for a show.  Busy girl!
tendumom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #17 
She's performing with Complexions? That's awesome! There is a dancer who trained at the same studio as dd years ago who is currently in the company. Have always loved Complexions. Was sorry to have missed this year's run at The Joyce. 
whitsmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Yes, she is a lucky ducky. It has been incredible so far for her being their apprentice!
whitsmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #19 
DD LOVED LOVED LOVED USC.  It has definitely moved up the list to at least number 2.  Juilliard is Feb 3rd here in Dallas and then we are done and just waiting on responses.
camercad

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #20 
Did they talk about merit scholarships at all during the audition? I'd love for DD to consider USC, but tuition costs seem steep. 
whitsmom

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #21 
I don't know that they gave specifics--dd went by herself--but they are supposed to know really fast if they are being offered one or not.  I agree, the tuition is steep.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: