Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
momofdanceobsessed

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone have a child who is a dance major here? My daughter's goal is to be accepted into their dance program and major in dance. We are currently about to switch to more classes full time at ballet school and step away from the competition team and just compete a solo next year and attend more conventions. Any advice to prepare?
Erika

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My daughter is not attending yet but it is high on our list of colleges with a strong dance program. Her biggest concern is that it seems there are not daily ballet classes (2-3 ballet classes offered per week?) and only one class available to take per day. We did hear there are a lot of performance opportunities and you can be involved as much or little as your schedule allows. If there is someone out there with more accurate information, we'd love to hear from you. [smile]
Amomofonedancer

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
We did a college visit at UA because my d was offered NMF scholarship.  We did not consider the dance program, so I have no direct knowledge of the program.  I will  say we were impressed with the university.We did see a couple of the dance rooms because our meeting with Honors College was in the same building. Very nice facilities. 

However, one of the dancers from our studio is at UA and is a dance major.  The studio she comes from has incredibly strong technique and ballet.  I don't think that they would have chosen a program that was weak in ballet.  

Also- I think one of the moms on here has a daughter at UA as a dance major. I think her name is "PSmom".
Amomofonedancer

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I looked for info on collegeconfidential.com and found this from 2010:

I figure I can't be the only one who will ever be interested in this so...

Here is an email I recieved from Sarah Barry in the dance department:

Thanks for your email. I’m glad you are interested in dance, but unfortunately we do not offer a dance minor here at UA. We offer a BA program that places equal emphasis on ballet, modern, and jazz, so we accept dancers who show potential in being a well rounded dancer. It’s OK if you don’t have as much experience in one style or another, as long as you’d be willing to dive whole-heartedly into each style. There is a small portion of our audition on pointe, but it’s basic steps such as echappes, pique turns, a pirouette, etc. For the audition to become a major, you’d take a ballet class (barre and center work) followed by learning a jazz combination and a modern combination. We have many students who are double majors in various fields, so if you’d still like to pursue dance you could double major. We do have some classes available to non-majors, but they are mostly beginning level technique classes and aren’t offered as often. Our audition for the fall is November 12. You can register for it through Pamela in our main office at 205-348-5283. You’d also get 2 complimentary tickets to our concert that evening so you can see our dance majors perform works by our faculty. Let me know if you have any other questions.

From what I have been able to find there aren't many clubs for serious dancers besides the Crimson Cabaret which dances at sports events and in competition and their requirements are pretty hard:
-quad pirouettes on right and left
-fouettes in second with a changing spot
- standard jumps such as grand jetes, axles, seconds, and calypsos, as well as a more complicated switch second
-leg extensions to the front and side with or without a hold
-and this is what I think is stupid because it's dance not cheerleading: they want tumbling skills including stall, handstands, cartwheels, aerials, back handsprings, back tucks, walkovers, and walking handstands"
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: