Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
jamquint1

PREMIUM MEMBER
Reply with quote  #1 
So, my daughter, age 7, is attending her first convention (Nuvo) this year. She will compete as a Nubie due to age, but I'm wondering where to put her as far as the classes. I've heard that the Nubie room is pretty basic. My dd is no protege, but she has been in dance company for 3 years. However, in looking at videos of some of the mini dancers, who I realize are as old as 10, and OMG! Many are ridiculously good and waay more advanced than my girlie. I know that I can move her up or down if the room isn't a right fit for her, but thoughts? And what the heck with all of the amazing minis? I think it will be great for her to see what some of these dancers can do, but holy cow!!!
nyklane

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi there -

We did Nuvo as our very first convention ever last year. My daughter was 7 and has been dancing the whole time lol - but it was her first year competition - solo/small group. We did the Nubie room. I was worried too - that it would be too basic - or that maybe she’d have more skills then the kids in the room - but we did it anyway. I will say that I’m glad I did. It was her first time at a convention though. The combos were challenging - the talent ranged but was on the higher side - similar to what you’d see in a mini room at a normal convention. (I did not go in the mini room at Nuvo though). Just the age group was limited - 5-7. Which was nice actually. They had NO scholarships - no numbers, and they did a group performance on stage the second day. I found it was a good speed for my first timer and glad that we stayed in the room.

If your daughter is already used to conventions then maybe the mini room would be better. If it’s her first experience this is great. I just found it a nice way to ease into the convention culture. [smile]
momcrew

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
My daughter attended LADM for the first time last year and we did the "magic mini" room and it was great for her. The room will be a lot smaller too, less kids, which I think means a little more individualized attention. 
LeapYear0208

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
We did 24/7, she competed in the Jumpstart 4-7 age group but I put her in the minis room for convention. She would have been bored and over it in the Jumpstart room. Now she is 8, so she will compete and do convention as a mini this year.

We also did LADM last year and she stayed in the Magic Minis room only because I was sick and in the hote room throwing up all day the first day 😑. Otherwise I would have put her in the Jr room. She enjoyed the mini room because it was fun and they did a fashion show. But she told me after she wanted to be able to dance more. Especially with Scott Fowler, she loves musical theatre.

Edited to add: it wasn’t her first convention, so she went in knowing the commitment to moving up a room.
jwsqrdplus2

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Years ago when my DD was 7, she did NYCDA's Ready, Set, Dance and she had fun, but was bored (did not compete).  7 is a challenge.  Some 7 yos are ready for the mini room, and others are not.  Hind sight being 20-20 vision, I would have put her in the mini room.  She would have been challenged and probably struggled, but she would have been fine in the big scheme of things.

PS...don't let yourself get sucked into the videos and the "proteges."  Some are naturally talented, then get eclipsed by hard workers later.  Others struggle when they are younger, work hard and find their zone when they are older.  There are very few uber talented minis who are still "uber talented" as Srs.  

My personal experience is that my dancer developed slowly.  She started making major strides at about 12, and did not really get any recognition in the dance world (scholarships; overall placements, etc) until she was 16.  She is now a dance major in college.  If you had watched her at 7, you never would have imagined her where she is today!
jule425

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamquint1
So, my daughter, age 7, is attending her first convention (Nuvo) this year. She will compete as a Nubie due to age, but I'm wondering where to put her as far as the classes. I've heard that the Nubie room is pretty basic. My dd is no protege, but she has been in dance company for 3 years. However, in looking at videos of some of the mini dancers, who I realize are as old as 10, and OMG! Many are ridiculously good and waay more advanced than my girlie. I know that I can move her up or down if the room isn't a right fit for her, but thoughts? And what the heck with all of the amazing minis? I think it will be great for her to see what some of these dancers can do, but holy cow!!!

When my daughter was that age, it depended on convention to convention. I can tell you as a mom whose daughter has done NUVO several times, that the mini room is challenging. I was worried when my daughter was 9, after previous experiences, was questioning the mini room since at most comps she would be a junior. She was in the right room, and didn't question when I sent her back at age 10. Remember that the age cut off is January 1st so there will be girls who are already 11, if their birthdays fall after January 1st. From what I've seen, they do a great job of keeping it fun, but challenging for the nubies. We love Nuvo.
Brontasaurus

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
My daughter, 6 years old, went to 24/7, ASH, Jump & the dance awards last year. We've been to 24/7 & ASH already this year and will go to Jump soon. 
At ASH last year they did not have the younger group because there were not enough kids, so she did the Mini room. This year we had her in the Mini room again because the peewee classes were only 2.5 hours total.
At the Break the Floor conventions, which Nuvo is part of, she has been in the peewee/jump-start room which has less classes but is still 2 days of classes. This year and at TDA she and one 7 yr old team mate also went to some of the Mini classes after the peewee classes were finished, but they are in class more than 11-13 hours every week and they are borderline to be in the mini room.
Quick version being: They definitely learn in the peewee rooms at Break the Floor and the mini room could be too much for many younger ones.

sylya

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
I think it very much depends on how much your daughter is used to (training wise) and how much she looks at others. When my son was 7 we did Jump, Nuvo and 24/7, the first time we did the jumpstart group which was fun but not really a challenge. The time after that we went into the mini room and my son was completely overwhelmed by all the other kids and how good they were. Right when we walked in we saw a little girl maybe 9 do 3 turns in a full backsplit and my sons jaw literally hit the floor. So at the last convention we decided to do the youngest group again and we did one mini tap class since my son loves to tap. But yeah he is pretty focussed on what happens around him and can be bothered when he thinks everyone in the room is better than him and in the youngest room he got more one on one time with the teacher which is a plus.
LilMama

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #9 
To me convention is more for the experience than what she can learn at age 7. What is her personality like, does she get intimated easily or the type that would get motivated by stronger dancer? Does she has friends to be there with her? Because when we went, DD was the only one from our studio in the "baby room" so being there by herself alone was enough of a challenge seeing other kids all have a group of friends there cheering for each other. Same year second convention, we moved up to the mini room. It was of course challenging but overall a nice experience. She probably enjoys being in the mini room more mainly because she gets to be with her teammates. I personally enjoyed watching the little ones, they make it so fun for them with the themes and costumes. We have a friend that did the nubie room as a first but thought it was a waste of time. It's hard to say really.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.