Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Texasdancemomx2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
Both girls dance competitively and I'm contemplating a fancy dance bah with a costume rack. So my question is on big bag for both girls or seperate bags. They are youngish, almost 10 and 8.
stpierremom

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
My girls are 17 months apart and they shared a Large Dream Duffel with no issues.  It was easier, however, because our studio at the time typically attended smaller comps where most of their numbers were all on one day, even if one was in petites and one in juniors.  The most we had in it was 12 costumes, shoes, makeup, a small cooler, etc. and it all fit fine.  Somehow I always ended up pulling the thing, though . . . Rather pull one than two . . .

That said, now that we have only 1 dancer (other dd switched to gym), the large is a bit too big.  Not buying smaller at this point since she's a freshman, but it's definitely a space hog in the dressing room.

NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I have two. A petite with 4-5 dances and a junior with 10-11 for comps so 14-16 dances (each has one that doesn't compete st everybximp). For recital the number is around 24 dances total. We use a medium Dream Duffle. It's fine for comps- makeup case and a bin for large headpieces are carried separately. I wish I had the large at times but everyone says it's bulky. Another mom at the studio with 2 upgraded from medium to large and gave me her medium so each could have their own but I haven't used it yet. Oh multi day comps, I just bring the costumes needed for that day down which frees up room for other stuff.
dancedivasx2

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I have 2 medium because my dancers bicker . It is kind handy because I place them few feet apart facing each other and hook a blanket to make a small dressing room. Note: I only do this if there is enough room. I am totally conscious of space.
mandyx3

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I'd say 2.... only because our groups often get separated at competitions/recitals into different dressing rooms. Or if they both have a quick change could get chaotic with them looking for things and they're already rushing etc. 
Momof3

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
My daughters (12 and 9) share a large. It's always worked well for us. I have a hanging shoe rack that I put in the middle, which helps to keep the division of costumes easier. 

I did cave and buy a small this year, purely because we do quite a few events where we only need a few costumes per dancer, and I got tired of borrowing space on another's rack. The large is just too big for those kinds of events. Happened to have some spare money, and found a discounted one. I still don't think I would have a separate duffel for each girl, because it's too much hassle for me to organize two bags. Just my personal preference, though [smile]
mic123

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
I only have one dancer however, there are others at our studio with more than one dancer.  The only thing I saw as an issue with sharing a bag was during recital when we are assigned dressing rooms by class level.  The youngest had to be with her sister instead of with the others in her classes.

Plus, if they each have their own bag they can be responsible for their own belongings.  If it was me and was in my budget, I would go with two smaller bags as opposed to one large one.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
If you do get 2, make sure your vehicle has enough room for them both.  DD has a medium Dream Duffle and I could only fit 1 of those in the trunk of my car.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
We share makeup, so the issue with two is who would have it with them... and that would cause even more sister drama. Seriously. But I also totally get the poster who has two because of the bickering. Thankfully mine don't bicker over that or touch eachother' shoes and costumes but they each have a set place for their stuff and are responsible for hanging their own costumes, etc. (let's be honest, I always fix it when they aren't looking- lol)

They are always different rooms at recital and both always have quick changes- not a big issue - the younger comes to the older room and changes quickly and then goes back to her room or backstage depending on the amount of numbers and plan. Probably easier for whoever is with the little kids because they don't have to deal with her or her stuff. I do bring an extra $9 Walmart easy to assemble garment rack for recital to have space. (Got it before the second duffle - may use the two duffles this year instead.)

Works for us with one for now. But I also play each event by ear with the comfort of knowing I am lucky enough to have the two as an option.
Texasdancemomx2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #10 
The past few comps I found myself digging around in both bags during quick changes. They are young, so I'm still doing a lot. One bag would be easier for me. But bicker will be inevitable - one is messy and the other OCD neat.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdancemomx2
- one is messy and the other OCD neat.

Haha yep- they share a room so the neat/messy combo is a real treat. They're both pretty neat when they want to be and dance costumes are one of the times.

How old Are they? 😁 Mine are 11 and just turned 8.
Texasdancemomx2

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #12 
7 and almost 10. I may start with one big bag and see. Interesting most every seems to have Dream Duffle.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
7 and almost 10. I may start with one big bag and see. Interesting most every seems to have Dream Duffle.

When we got ours it was pretty much the only one on the market or that you heard of- I had only one competitive at the time. It sounds like the others are worth looking into based on friends' experiences.
amandafarris03

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #14 
depends on if a. they can share well and b. if they are going to be in the same dressing room together.  there are a few families at our studio that have sisters dancing together.  one family shared last year because their girls were on the same team, this year one daughter advanced ahead and will sometimes be in another room so she got her own bag.  another families has two small sisters and they currently share.
jujusmom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:

I have two dancers - 17 and 11.  I have two dream duffels - large for the 17 yo and medium (2nd hand) for my 11 yo.  That being said, this season it was easiest to fit them both in the large because we didn't have as many dances as in the past.  They will each use their own for recital as the 11 yo does not want to be around the older girls and wants to be near her friends [smile]
udamom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Mine are 9 and 11. It depends on how many dances they are in. We are taking 12 costumes to competitions between the 2 of them. It fits a medium dream duffel and the makeup kit but not much else can fit in it. And, they are on the same team, same dances (outside of solo costumes) and are always mixing up the costume sizes, etc and I'm having to go through an entire bag to figure out who's is who's at the end of the competition.

For their birthday, they are getting 2 separate pack 2 rack bags. 1 for each. They complain about not having their own, this way they wont mix up comp costumes and can have their own snacks, water, etc in their own bag. I'm making them pull their own bags.

Next year they could be in different levels based on their ages so it will be easier on them and me for them to have their own bag that they can keep their own costumes in.
jazzminesun81

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
I would get 2 smaller ones if you can. Most sisters don't share one at our studio because inevitably they go on different days/times at competition and go into different dressing rooms at recital. Also, we've been to a couple of comps where they don't allow dream duffels (though they've let the small ones slide). I honestly wish I'd gotten the small instead of the medium. My dancer has 3-4 comp dances and 8-10 recital dances. In reality, I bought it for her for recital, not competition.
disneymom2two

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I only have one but a lot of the team moms have 2 dancers and each has their own bag.  Unless they're on the same team, they may end up in different areas of the dressing room or in different dressing rooms altogether.  
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: