Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
KGCC68

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I cannot find a recent post about this competition.  Has anyone been to this one over the past year?  How was it compared to others?
momcrew

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #2 
We took solos and some small groups there a couple of weeks ago. It was good. Judging seemed fair, critiques were good, awards were fun. The only weird thing was the schedule was all over the place and overall awards for everything was at the end of the comp. They had award ceremonies to give out the adjucated awards throughout the weekend but overalls for all 12 and under was on Sunday afternoon. It was fine for us as all of our groups and solos were on Sunday but for those who danced on Friday or Saturday, they had to come back on Sunday if they wanted to be a part of the awards ceremony. 
KGCC68

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you for the info!  Must have been a big competition if it started Friday!!  
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #4 
We went this year and have two other years. It's usually 3 days (starting Friday evening). I love Turn It Up- I think the judging is usually pretty spot on and the critiques are valuable. Awards don't drag bc they do adjudication and specials at each and save overalls for end. They scatter levels and size dances throughout so it's not like all seniors together, etc. I think this can be good bc maybe keeps it fresh for judges and not too crazy of changes for kids in a lot of dances but it's hard bc kids and judges can't see direct competition. The only ones that go back to back are the title participants and they don't wait until the very end for title. They do that at the awards immediately following the section of the day title solos competed. They did the 12 and under awards early on Sunday and saved the 12 and over For final awards. But yes it does require you or a representative to stay until final awards.

Plus the have a fun theme song they play to start their awards [smile] it's totally 80s awesome lol
emmasissy7

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #5 
We've done it for years and years. It is a long weekend and we usually have the distinction of being the last dance of Saturday and the first on Sunday. LOL  Not much to add from above posters. We like it and the staff is very nice.

The theme song is fun and we tend to be the obnoxious moms in the back screaming along with it by Sunday night. We have begged SO to do a group dance to it but to no avail. 

Enjoy
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasissy7
We've done it for years and years. It is a long weekend and we usually have the distinction of being the last dance of Saturday and the first on Sunday. LOL  Not much to add from above posters. We like it and the staff is very nice.

The theme song is fun and we tend to be the obnoxious moms in the back screaming along with it by Sunday night. We have begged SO to do a group dance to it but to no avail. 

Enjoy

Have you ever done their nationals?
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasissy7

Enjoy

Omg i feel like we could be from the same studio- lol
I haven't asked for a group to it but I've asked her to ask if they would sell it as a ringtone- lol!
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoesx2

Have you ever done their nationals?

We haven't done their nationals but we have friends who have several times. I can ask them questions for you...

We may go just with our girls solos to one this year bc they both have scholarship money and national team invite and it coincides perfectly with an out of state family vacation we are planning- with free room and board [wink] thought it could be fun to have the experience of doing a nationals or comp that way too- we've only ever done with the whole team.
SlackerMom

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #9 
My daughter's school has done Turn It Up. We attended their nationals at Cape Cod last summer as well. The comp is well run. They keep things moving along but not so much that it feels rushed. Most comps we attend run three days (Friday night, all day Saturday, most of Sunday) so their setup seems normal to me. We have been impressed with the staff and feel the judging is fair.
KGCC68

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Do they post the competition schedule on their website or just give it to the studio teachers/owner?

momcrew

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I don't think a full schedule was posted but if you download the dance comp genie it will have the schedule and real-time "who's on stage" updates. It's pretty cool. 
KGCC68

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Thank you that is going to be very helpful!!
momcrew

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGCC68
Thank you that is going to be very helpful!!

I wish more comps used the app. It was a great tool that weekend. It also alerted the studio owner as to when she had to have the dancers back stage and gave her "30 minute warnings" for each routine. 
KGCC68

Novice Member
Reply with quote  #14 
My daughter is going for Title.  This will be our first experience with Turn It Up.  I understand she has to introduce herself and tell them something about her or her solo.  Any advice on what they are looking for?
NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #15 
I have a title winner and a first runner up. it seems the judges were looking for overall presentation (eye contact, confidence, rate and volume or speech, etc). I think they like if you can tell them something personal or makes them connect with you. One of mine just said what she likes to do other than dance. She's a incredibly outgoing by nature so she was her cute bubbly self (made it up on her own and SO loved how it was so her). The other said why she loves dance. The seniors did more of life after dance or goals, some reflective of their dance journey. Not a whole lot of feedback on the intro on the score sheets. They also made some comments on the headshots too. Beautiful eyes, gorgeous girl, crop a little further from face, etc

Hope this helps!

jdlw

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #16 
The down side with the mixed up order, is that the judges aren't adjudicating the same category at the same time.  We have gone many years and generally the adjudication is more strict Friday night.  Then adjudication relaxes as the competition continues (seriously, the ratio of platinums to golds changes pretty significantly)  So you'll see some weird results depending on who was scheduled when.

nowmomto3

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #17 
We loved Turn it Up.  We found judging to be fair and received useful critiques.  The schedule runs pretty smoothly.  Their system of going all over the place can be good or bad depending on how many dances you happen to have, but overall it's not bad.  I think the scheduling isn't as bad for regionals but for Nationals it can be a little tougher bc you could have one or two dances each day, and for a Nationals I would prefer to be more concentrated on a few days with a few days off. 

As far as the judging being different earlier and easier later, for the most part I don't think we have hit that. I know my D scored well and still made overalls and she was literally one of the first dances of the weekend.  But it is a possibility. 

For title, I think what NCKDAD said is pretty accurate. Just have your dancer, smile and be herself with a little introduction stating her name, age and where she's from and either talk about her solo and what it means to her or something little about herself.  Anything really goes!  Have fun!  It's a great experience!

NCKDAD

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #18 
I will say that scoring does seem to ease up by Sunday but not to the extent that overalls or anything were drastically affected. I'm talking more like an extra point here or there. I would say it didn't affect too 3 but maybe some of the mid level overalls could have changed placement. But again talking maybe a 2 point difference which is kind of a preference by judge anyway. If that makes sense... and this slightly more generous judging was notcdiable across all genre, ages, levels and sizes...

So yes I think so but not to the extent it significantly affects placement or adjudication except maybe those borderline kids.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: