Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Krobinson1020

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #1 
We have this competition next weekend and it is a new one for the kids.  Any feedback or thoughts on this one? 
dancermom0518

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #2 
No feedback but my studio will be attending it for the first time next month. I’m curious as well.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #3 
We have enjoyed Turn It Up and find it well run and fair. Just know that they don’t lump all of one age group or level together. They spread it all out throughout the course of the event. There are pros and cons to this schedule IMO. But At the end of the day, I don’t think this has ever drastically affected our scoring or placement. It does mean that you have to wait until Sunday for overalls even if you end on a Saturday. I know another member recently felt displeased with them and not having a proper ballet judge. This hasn’t been our case. We have typically had one and he is great. We’ve been 4 times over the years, I think.
Which location are you going to? If you are comfortable sharing.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Also feel free to ask me any specific questions you may have.
Krobinson1020

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCKDAD
Also feel free to ask me any specific questions you may have.

Thanks so much for the info! We are going to Pittsburgh next weekend. My daughter is a tapper and it's hit or miss to have a tap judge at a lot of competitions. Do they typically run on schedule? It is a little weird jumping around but I think it will be nice to have time to change and not be rushing from one dance to the next. From what I've seen about it online, it looks like a fun comp.
dancermom0518

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #6 
We are going to the Knoxville TN comp.
dancemomjb

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #7 
This is my daughters favorite comp! They play fun music onstage for the kids before awards, and the schedule is mixed so you never know when you will be dancing, which can be a plus or minus depending on how you look at it. They scored dd very fairly compared to our other competitions that year, and seemed to really like technique but especially stage presence. There is an option of going for title, and also for overalls they are all on the last day of competition. 3 levels of competition as well. Really well run, and we got good video feedback afterwards!
Krobinson1020

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancemomjb
This is my daughters favorite comp! They play fun music onstage for the kids before awards, and the schedule is mixed so you never know when you will be dancing, which can be a plus or minus depending on how you look at it. They scored dd very fairly compared to our other competitions that year, and seemed to really like technique but especially stage presence. There is an option of going for title, and also for overalls they are all on the last day of competition. 3 levels of competition as well. Really well run, and we got good video feedback afterwards!

Yay - that's great to hear! We were at a comp this year with little to no audio feedback and the kids were upset to not get real critiques even though they placed well.

My daughter is doing title for turn it up so we will see how the intro part goes.
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #9 
I’ve seen good tap do well at TIU.

I love their own little theme song they play before awards- it’s totslly fun and feels totally 80s! Lol. Almost always on time or slightly early.if you enter title you introduce yourself on stage (name, age, name of dance and style and something personal it seems) before and also have to submit a head shot- those are included with the score for title along with the dance. The title entries for that age group are the only time you see the same division, etc, back to back. They go one right after another and from what I have been able to tell it’s age wise youngest in the age division to oldest rather than by style of dance or anything- but this is just an observation I’ve made that may not be entirely true
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #10 
Good to hear!  We're going for the 1st time in next month.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
We did it last year for the first time and did their nationals as well. We really enjoyed it. Unconventional schedule where everything is mixed together(ages, genres, group sizes etc) but it ran on time to the minute. Judging was fair and tough. Our tap did very well there. Love how the judges really got into explaining why they chose certain dances for judges awards and how they talked to the dancers. They do adjudications throughout the weekend but all overalls are on Sunday. Mini/junior in the afternoon and teen/senior at the very end.
Twinkletoesx2

High Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobinson1020

Yay - that's great to hear! We were at a comp this year with little to no audio feedback and the kids were upset to not get real critiques even though they placed well.

My daughter is doing title for turn it up so we will see how the intro part goes.

The title solos all run in the same section unlike the other solos.
tappinmom

Double Diamond Member
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancemomjb

This is how all our comps in Ontario Canada are set up.  You might see the 10 & under tap solos followed by 14 & under open groups, followed by production.  The only consistency is that they schedule the littlest ones early in the day and the seniors at night but you don't see all of the same age group together, or all of the solos, or all of the large groups etc.  This is the only way I've known it to be done until we did a US comp for the first time.  I like it because it keeps things interesting but it also makes for long weekends since a dancer can have to be there all 4 days to perform all of their routines.
rubydancemom

High Silver Member
Reply with quote  #14 
Krobinson1020, Interested for an update of how the weekend went. We have this comp later in the season.
Krobinson1020

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydancemom
Krobinson1020, Interested for an update of how the weekend went. We have this comp later in the season.

We go this weekend :) I'll let you know!
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobinson1020
We go this weekend 😉 I'll let you know!

How did it go?  We're going for the 1st time in a couple of weeks and I'm very curious.
Krobinson1020

Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #17 
It was okay.  They kept the competition moving pretty well.  It was a big competition that went from Friday afternoon until 11:30 p.m. Sunday night.  DD had a bit of an issue when another studio director put her solo # on their CD and the wrong music played - but it was a good learning experience for her.  Judging seemed fair overall and the comments were pretty good from what DD said.  They really like stage presence for sure. 

Only weird thing we noticed was the girl who won title (and was a very good dancer) was their featured dancer on Instagram for that weekend.

One other thing - they fly through awards.  One of the little girls missed hearing her solo adjudication as it goes by really quick.
my2miracles

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #18 
Thanks for the update.  I hope we're not there until 11:30 on Sunday night [frown]
NCKDAD

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #19 
We were there last month. I have always loved Turn It Up, but I felt like some of the quality of interaction and things that make it such a special experience was lacking compared to year's past. Nothing affected scoring. We did well and about the same as other comps. however for one of my daughter's solos one judge was 8 points lower than the other two (she still got a high platinum, but would have been diamond otherwise) and that same judge didn't comment until over a minute in and had nothing to critique... just a lot of "beautiful" and "goods" and "Yess!!!". 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.