Registered: 1329744817 Posts: 82
Reply with quote #1
DD has been academically accepted, but still waiting for artistic acceptance for 2 schools. She has also been completely accepted for two schools, but not sure for any until all are in. Should we pay deposits to hold a spot? What is everyone else doing?
High Platinum Member
Registered: 1298213712 Posts: 3,987
Reply with quote #2
Can she lose a spot if you don't hold it?
Don't really know how it all works as dd did not take this route. I don't know that I would hold a spot at a school that she wouldn't attend if she did not get the artistic acceptance, so I assume you are talking about the schools where she has been completely accepted. I also don't know that I would want to hold a spot without all the financial aid info. Does she have a clear first choice and second choice? How much are the deposits? You don't need to answer that , just wondering if it would be worth taking the loss if she went elsewhere.
High Platinum Member
Registered: 1266718806 Posts: 3,479
Reply with quote #3
I have paid deposits on all the schools where DD has been accepted. All deposits are refundable if decision and notifications are made before May 1st. DD has what she thinks is her first choice but she isn't 100% so I have paid just to be safe.
Double check their refund policies and go from there. If they're all refundable, I don't see the harm in locking in a space.
High Platinum Member
Registered: 1199774014 Posts: 3,397
Reply with quote #4
I would agree with emmymom, check the policy to see if its refundable, if it is, then I would suggest putting the deposit down. At dd's college, there is a housing shortage, so if you wait too long, you may not get a spot or be put on a wait list.
Registered: 1199256641 Posts: 440
Reply with quote #5
I would also agree with emmymom and tapster. Also of note is that if your d is being considered for any scholarships, it would count in her favor that she has shown sufficient interest in the school to put down deposits. All the schools we looked at have refundable deposits except UA. I would think it advisable to put down housing deposits for her top schools no later than the end of January so that she gets a good dorm assignment and can look at their roommate selection process.
High Silver Member
Registered: 1422729372 Posts: 103
Reply with quote #6
My children only paid a deposit after their final decisions were made.
Maybe I am wrong...But I have always understood that if you pay a tuition deposit at one school you are making a commitment and giving up a spot at any other schools. According to several threads on the College Confidential website, everyone should have until May 1st to make a decision without any pressure from the schools. Unless it is an Early Decision process. I do believe that you can pay a housing deposit at some schools, for example U Florida, without paying the commitment deposit. There have been some heated discussions on this topic regarding one school in particular. This school seemed to pressure the student to pay the deposit immediately, which created some negative situations for some accepted students. I also feel that it is best to notify any schools that the student has absolutely no interest in attending as soon as possible, so that they could move someone off the wait list. In the case of waiting on artistic acceptance, paying the tuition deposit before you hear from the artistic portion may imply that the student would consider attending that school without the artistic acceptance. If you have questions, you can always contact the individual schools.
Registered: 1347134737 Posts: 403
Reply with quote #7
IMO, a housing deposit isn't a commitment to attend a school. If it were, they wouldn't make them refundable. It is only to secure a dorm room. My oldest went to a school that didn't have enough dorm space for freshman. A (refundable) housing deposit totally made sense if we wanted him in on campus housing even if we weren't sure it was his final decision. Any of the schools he applied to had a housing deposit that was outside of any attendance commitment.
Registered: 1200067433 Posts: 303
Reply with quote #8
A housing deposit - if refundable - is not a commitment to attend. This is probably something you should consider paying at more than one school in case housing is limited. However a deposit to the school can be viewed as a contractual obligation to attend. A student is not supposed to have an academic deposit on file at more than one school. That is why there is a May 1st deadline. I wouldn't pay this deposit until your student has decided plans for sure. If they are accepted, the school isn't going to drop them from the list until after the May 1st deadline.