Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Dancingemu

Silver Member
Reply with quote  #26 
Our top questions before joining the comp team were: Time commitment, Travel, Cost (I did break this one down when asking. There are so many hidden costs.), and fundraising (I'm not opposed to some, but I hate constantly asking people for money and didn't want another place that required them to participate in every fundraiser.)
dancingymnast

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #27 
A little update.
So, DD was discouraged after that trial class, changed her mind about competing and decided that she wanted to stay at her current studio and try out for their Performance Company. They don't compete, but they perform at different community events throughout the year. I was okay with that decision, mostly because of her past problems with the lower back I don't want her to do too much too soon.
Auditions were this past Saturday, and she thinks she did "bad". I watched the last 20 minutes of it, and I didn't think it was that bad, but we will find out by the end of this week if she made it. If she didn't make it, then we'll go back to the original plan and check out two other competition studios I have my eyes on. In any case this was a good experience for her, she now knows what to expect at the auditions, and will be better prepared for the next time.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #28 
I hope she is able to participate in the Performance Company at her current studio!  Good luck to her.  
dave9988

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #29 
Thanks for the update, Good Luck!
dancingymnast

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #30 

Well, she didn't make the performance company. But that's okay, because we found another studio we want to check out.

I'm actually feeling very stupid about this one. I've spent the last year researching the competition studios in the area and complaining how none of the local studios compete. The closest one I found (the one she tried out at) is 20 minutes away. The others are 30-40 minutes away. 

Then last week I was talking to DD to see what she wanted to do if she didn't make the company. She said she wanted to go to studio X, because she knows these two girls who go there and they are "amazing". lol The studio she was taking about is in our town and I know it very well, both of my daughters used to take classes there when they were little. But when they danced there (5 years ago or so) I don't remember seeing or hearing any mentioning of the company or team or competitions. And I'm pretty sure when I started looking for a competition studio a year ago I checked there web site, and again didn't see any information there. 

So, when DD said she wanted to go there, I went to their website again to check for information. Again, no obvious mentioning of the competition team or any type of company. But then I click on "Performances", and I see two competitions listed as their next "performances". I keep digging, and sure enough there are some "company" classes on the schedule, and there is a team audition flyer on their facebook page last summer. So, they definitely do have a competition team. Grrrrr. Why don't they make it more obvious on their website? 
I literally were choosing between that studio and our current studio last year when DD quit gymnastics and wanted to do dance. The only reason I chose the current studio was because it was a few minutes closer to our house. If I knew studio X had a competition team, DD would be there from the start. 

Anyway, I'm calling them this week to see if we can arrange a trial class or evaluation, or maybe she can take some summer classes. She says she wants to go there even if she doesn't make a team this year, and that's fine with me, as long as I can see that they provide a quality training. 

cynmckee

Platinum Member
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
dave9988 and cynmckee, you know I usually agree with you!  And I do agree that this studio does not have strong ballet training with only one required ballet class.  I assume by "strong", the OP meant that the dancers were better in ballet than her daughter is now.  

I feel like a should make a comment that not everyone wants the same thing out of dance.  Some people are happy with recreational dance, some are excited about dancing in novice or intermediate levels at comps, some want to be in advanced levels at comps, some aspire to stand out at conventions, some hope for professional careers.  

I fully agree that the higher in that list you want to go the more you need more ballet, but not everyone aspires to do more than have fun.

Here is my issue with rec and comp classes being different...which assumes different quality:  Comp is a very expensive activity.  So the kids who want to dance but who's family can not afford expensive costumes, expensive makeup and lots of entry fees are relegated to the "rec' classes which in some studios are made to believe that they 'just aren't serious' about dance.  For lots of kids this just isn't true.  For some kids they can't participate in comp because of family situation where the weekend parent is unable or unwilling to participate in the comp scene.  For some, comp is purely just too expensive.  Personally I am pretty sensitive to the income disparity in dance opportunities.
prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #32 
cynmckee, I'm not sure why you quoted me in the above comment.  I said different dancers have different interests and goals and that some of those goals do not require 4.5 hours or more of ballet a week.  Some students dance for fun, some students dance for professional training, some students and their parents add competition.

I agree that allowing all students to take classes together based on ability is wonderful (our studio does not have "company classes" and dd takes classes some dancers who compete and others who do not), but I stand by my statement that depending on their goals, not all dance students want/need lots of ballet. 

ggsmith

Gold Member
Reply with quote  #33 
cynmckee I also was once a bit sensitive to the "rec" vs "company" issue but we really don't know what the situation is at the studio prancer is considering.

The competition style studio down the street from me has "company classes" during the week that are rehearsal slots where they practice choreography.  Company dancers take technique classes with non-company dancers based on skill level.  Company dancers are required to take ballet twice a week and tech classes for genres they compete.  Other students may take whatever interests them.

The studio DD is planning to take trial classes at later in the month has "recreational" classes that are just that, aimed at students who want to take class once or twice a week and perform in a recital at the end of the year.  Students are grouped by age and take whatever interests them.  There are also pre-professional "leveled" classes for more serious dancers who may be interested dancing professionally or in a college program.  "Leveled" students are required to take ballet several times a week and take other genre separate from the recreational students as well.  Company rehearsals are held on Friday and Saturday, completely separate from "rec" or "leveled" classes.  I don't believe recreational dancers are eligible for company, and I know participating in the company is not required to participate in the pre-professional program.

As long as studios are being clear and honest with their customers, I have no issue with "recreational" classes.  This isn't something my daughter is interested in at this time, but who knows what the future holds for any of us.

prancer

High Gold Member
Reply with quote  #34 
Dancinggymnast, sorry to hear the performance company was not a fit. I hope the next studio (with the hidden comp info) meets your needs. Can you watch their recital to see if they seem to offer the quality training you are looking for? Trying a class or taking over the summer are great ideas too!
dancingymnast

High Bronze Member
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer
Dancinggymnast, sorry to hear the performance company was not a fit. I hope the next studio (with the hidden comp info) meets your needs. Can you watch their recital to see if they seem to offer the quality training you are looking for? Trying a class or taking over the summer are great ideas too!

Thank you, prancer!
I was finally able to reach the SO today. Their recital is on the same day as our recital, so that won't be possible. But they are having a free trial week in May, where all current and new students can try a class for free, so we'll try to make it there. And they are having a company auditions some time in May too, DD is welcome to participate, even if she is not ready for the team, it will give them a better idea of where to place her. And there will be small summer sessions too, but no schedule yet. 
Thanks again for all your help. I'll keep you posted. [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: